Setting up Whirligig Media Player for Oculus Rift
- version used: 4.01
- developer's web site
Requires: ffdshow and LAV Filters should be installed in advance.
- Install LAV Filters
- Download and run Codec Tweak Tool (900K)
- Click on Preferred decoders and in the window opened set all video types to ffdshow (for 64-bit decoders only) then press Apply & Close: Show picture
- Click on Preferred splitters and in the window opened ensure that all video types to LAV Splitter: Show picture
- Click on MS Codec Tweaks and disable all 64-bit Microsoft video decoders, then press Apply & Close: Show picture
- Launch Whirligig, open Settings -> Video path and set it to Direct Show.
How to check
List of filters in use can be checked from ffdshow icon in the tray area.
Enable 90 fps FRC
By default SVP will interpolate video up to the screen refresh rate e.g. 60 Hz. But Oculus Rift is not a "screen" and it actually runs at 90 Hz regardless of the screen refresh rate.
To force Whirligig do FRC up to 90 fps:
- Open "Video profiles" section in SVP's Control panel.
- Add new profile by clicking on "New..." button, set some meaningful name e.g. "VR".
- Click on "Other target frame rates" button and choose "Fixed frame rate 90 fps".
- Click on "Apply this profile IF" and choose "Video player", enter "whirligig" into the value field.
- You may also want to tweak performance settings here.
There's no option to set some video decoder plus ffdshow raw video filter so we can't use LAV hardware decoder here.
If you want to be able to adjust something on the computer screen while playing back video in the Rift, release mouse control on the Settings page in Whirligig UI.