Setting up VLC
- version used: 2.2.6 64-bit
- developer's web site
VLC support in SVP 4 Pro, SVP 4 Mac and SVP 4 Linux is at the BETA stage now.
Not supported in SVP 4 Free!
- Only 64-bit versions are supported
Installation - Windows
- Install VLC support package via SVP -> Utilities -> Additional programs and features
- Adjust some system settings to allow VLC find the Vapoursynth installation:
- add SVP 4\mpv64 folder to the PATH environment variable
- add new env variable called PYTHONPATH, containing the same SVP 4\mpv64 path
- Restart the SVP Manager
- Make VLC\plugins\video_filter folder writable to the SVP Manager process
Installation - macOS
Using SVP in VLC
- Run SVP -> Utilities -> SVP in VLC to replace VLC's deinterlace video filter with the vapoursynth filter from SVP.
- Open any progressive video (note that interlaced videos won't work!) in VLC and choose Video -> Deinterlace -> On
- Set Tools -> Preferences -> Video -> Deinterlacing to On if you want SVP to kick in automatically.
Ensure that the video filter is correctly installed in VLC:
- Open VLC, navigate to Tools -> Preferences, click on Show settings - All, scroll down to the Video -> Filters and ensure that "Vapoursynth" filter is listed here. If it isn't then something is wrong with the Vapoursynth installation.
Examine both VLC and SVP logs:
- Open Tools -> Messages, open any video and turn on Video -> Deinterlace -> On. You should see some messages from the deinterlace filter in the Messages window:
deinterlace info: Running in IPC mode
- At this point SVP Manager should "see" the running VLC:
14:12:16.415 [I]: VideoPlayer: VLC connected, waiting for the video info... 14:12:16.467 [I]: Media: video 854x480 [PAR 1.000] at 24.000 fps [constant] (via video player) 14:12:16.467 [I]: Media: codec type is i420 14:12:16.467 [I]: Playback: starting up... ... 14:12:16.495 [I]: Playback: playing at 60 [24 *5/2]
and the VLC's messages should contain something like this:
deinterlace info: Running in IPC mode deinterlace info: Initializing VS filters... deinterlace info: Using 7 threads deinterlace info: Output 848 x 476, FR = 60/1 deinterlace info: Initialized
- If you see VLC: unsupported input video format message in SVP's log - try to turn off Hardware acceleration in VLC -> Preferences -> Inputs/Codecs
- In some rare cases the PYTHONPATH environment variable is not enough for some reason and you'll get VapourSynth engine error - possibly corrupted installation error in the VLC's messages log. This can be fixed by copying all the files from SVP 4/mpv64 into VLC's folder.
Limitations and known problems
- Deinterlacing filter is not available (obviously)
- Interlaced videos are not supported
- Frame rate conversion is limited to x3
- If you see VLC: unsupported input video format message in SVP's log - try to turn off Hardware acceleration in VLC -> Preferences -> Inputs/Codecs.
- VLC 3.0 specific: "Hardware acceleartion" may be missing from "Input/Codecs" section, in this case open all settings by pressing Show All button, in Input/Codecs -> Video codecs set Preferred decoders list to FFmpeg
- The filter can't increase frame size on-the-fly, so all SVP's options that increase source frame size won't work, for example:
- Any frame size adjustments except for "Resize to screen" - YES
- "Resize to screen" is the screen size is larger than the video size - NO
- 4:3 video on 16:9 screen with "outer lighting" enabled - NO
- 16:9 BD with black bars cutted off - YES
- 16:9 BD with black bars cutted off and "outer lighting" enabled - YES
- Video profile conditions based on the file name or path won't work
- Do not minimize VLC window while running with SVP - strange things may happen
- Audio sync! If audio track goes out of sync try to:
- wait for a half a minute cause it may normalize automatically,
- change the number of processing threads to some other value,
- minimize VLC's window and restore it back,
- wait for some next version of the "vapoursynth" video filter...