Topic: Howto: play BD3D with SVP using MPC-BE or Daum PotPlayer

Good news everyone! big_smile

We now have 1 (one) working solution to playback 3D Blu-rays w/o re-encoding.

Many thanks to aleksoid for implementing a full 1920*1080*2 3D rendering option.

1. Install Intel Media SDK DLLs

2. Get MPC-BE (preferably 64-bit).

3. Options -> Internal filters -> Video decoders -> check "H264 (MVC 3D)"

4. Options -> External filters -> Add filter -> "ffdshow raw video filter" -> Prefer

5. Open BD3D and choose one of the following View -> Stereo 3D mode values:
- Half OverUnder
- OverUnder
For example, for the 4K TV with passive 3D you want "OverUnder" which will produce a 1920*2160 video frame.

6. Switch to "3D: over-under stereopair" in SVP -- you only need this in "Half OverUnder" mode.

==========

Update: Daum Potplayer supports this playback mode too.
Go to Video -> 3D Video  Mode -> MVC 3D Output Mode and choose one of the "Synthesized" views, for example for 4K TV you may want to choose "TAB at full resolution".

Re: Howto: play BD3D with SVP using MPC-BE or Daum PotPlayer

Thank you for sharing you method.

I try according your steps, but it dosen't work.

In the step 4 whatever I choose, there is nothing change. When running SVP, I only see 2D instead of 3D.

Should you please tell me what is the problem?  By the way, my MPC-BE is 1.5.1.2961.x64, SVP is the newest version.

If "nothing change" then it's probably decoding only one view (as AVC stream), not MVC.

Try to install Intel's dlls - at the very bottom of that page.

Thank you very much!  It did works!

And may I ask another question?   

Is there any way to play BD3D with SVP in Nvidia 3D mode?     

I have tried Potplayer,  MPC-BE, Stereoscopic Player 2.14, only Stereoscopic Player 2.14 can do this. But its 3D vision looks strange and make my eyes tired very soon. Now the only way for me is use BD3D2MK3D to convent BD3D to 3D SBS with resolution 3840*1080, and then play it by potplayer with SVP in Nvidia 3D mode.

But it costs many time in conventing video!Every moive need more than 24 hours with "X264, present=veryslow, crf=16, tune=film....." in order to reduce image qualty loss in conventing.

So is there any other good ideas?

As it said in the first message - this's the only way now to watch BD3D with SVP w/o re-encoding.

But you can ask MPC-BE developers to add 3DVision support wink

6 (edited by stefanogiusio 07-10-2017 18:57:00)

Oh my god Chainik! big_smile I don't know if you remember, but I asked you about this around the official release of SVP 4. You did a quick fix for me to use with Stereoscopic player and it kinda worked, but the sync was a little off and it was never solved. I am so excited to try this out! (In a few days. I just moved and have to set up my projector) You will hear from me again when I have tried it. Great news big_smile

chengening wrote:

Thank you very much!  It did works!

And may I ask another question?   

Is there any way to play BD3D with SVP in Nvidia 3D mode?     

I have tried Potplayer,  MPC-BE, Stereoscopic Player 2.14, only Stereoscopic Player 2.14 can do this. But its 3D vision looks strange and make my eyes tired very soon. Now the only way for me is use BD3D2MK3D to convent BD3D to 3D SBS with resolution 3840*1080, and then play it by potplayer with SVP in Nvidia 3D mode.

But it costs many time in conventing video!Every moive need more than 24 hours with "X264, present=veryslow, crf=16, tune=film....." in order to reduce image qualty loss in conventing.

So is there any other good ideas?

Hello!
Can you provide more information on how you do this? I have been dying to get my 3D blurays to play with SVP because I love the smooth effect to 48fps but have no luck so far.
So far when I downloaded converted ones they were in some half res mode so they looked ugly so I would like to just convert my 3D blurays like you are doing.
Thanks!

Do what the first post says, specifically using the 64-bit 3021 nightly, and trying to open a 3D Blu just results in a "Cannot render the file". But then, it is also doing this for a 2D Blu.

> trying to open a 3D Blu just results in a "Cannot render the file"

ISO or a real BD disk? in the latter case you obviously need a BD decrypter software installed

Thanks, yeah, that made the difference.

Since some recent version Daum Potplayer supports this playback mode too!

Go to Video -> 3D Video  Mode -> MVC 3D Output Mode and choose one of the "Synthesized" views, for example for 4K TV you may want to choose "TAB at full resolution".

Wow! It works!

Amazing! Perfect!

Finally I don't have to waste time to convent BD3D to 3D SBS.

13 (edited by SamE 04-06-2018 01:23:42)

Hi,
First i must say, i really like running my 3D BluRay's through SVP smile
If anyone reading this hasen't tried it, do it wink you are missing out on something great.

But it is much more demanding that just a normal 1080p remux.
And unfortunately my system can't manage the setting i would really like to use.
I have to drop down more than i like to get it working.
And i know it would look even better if i could run with higher settings.

So, i wonder if this new transcode function SVP has can transcode a 3D BluRay to a full SBS file somehow.
Because when i try it seems to only do the main view (left i think).

Is it possible, if so how?

SVP uses mpv as a video encoder and mpv doesn't support MVC.

Ok, that explains why it dosen't work.
Thanks for the answer.

I hope then mpv someday will start to support MVC.

Well, you all seem to enjoy svp with BD3D. But i, on the other hand, feel very odd, watching 3D with smooth motion. I feel like artifacts are a bit different for both frames, and that difference, somehow, makes me feel really uncomfortable.
I also usually use 1.5m mode, to reduce artifacts, but in 3D it feels like it actually adds stutter, not decreases it.
I am using 60hz projector though, maybe it is different for 120-144hz monitors/projectors.
All in all, 3D svp is still a no go for me.

is there any updated version of this?

I've installed svp pro 4 with all the default settings.

I've tried MPC-BE, but it just says "cannot render"....I've tried pot player, but I'm not sure on the output settings, because the tv isn't auto switching to 3d, and when I manually switch it to md mode, it's only doing it's own 2d to 3d conversion.

I can get the player to play in TAB mode, and then manually put my tv to TAB mode, but BOTH top and bottom images are identical, so there's no 3d effect at all.

does anyone have a step by step procedure to actually setting this all up, including anything that needs to be done in windows/on your tv?

I'm using an lg 4k passive 3d display.

> is there any updated version of this?

no need to update anything cause it just works

> MPC-BE, but it just says "cannot render" ... top and bottom images are identical

you have to install and enable Intel MVC decoder

Thanks for the reply.

I have already done that though. I've done everything listed in the steps, but it doesn't seem to work.

The files are iso already decrypted.

I tried opening directly the iso, but also mounting it. Same result.

Mpc be says can not render, pot player seems to be outputting the normal 3d video modes, rather than mvc.... and both the top and bottom images are the same, so no depth.

Don't know what to say - just downloaded the latest MPC-BE (ver. 1.5.3.4455 Beta Portable 64-bit), and it just works.

No worries. Thanks for the reply anyway.

Just to clarify also.... do I need to do anything in the windows display settings?

I mean, I've tried with 3d on and off in windows and it didn't seem to make a difference... but should it be on or off?

Still playing around. Just tried the latest beta and it's the same.

Regular mpchc plays the iso/ mounted iso just fine, although obviously, in 2d.

Black edition just says cannot render the file.

The iso were made using makemkv and then burnt to iso using imgburn.

Is there some other codec or setting I need to change other than those listed above? I don't understand why hc plays the files but be cannot.

Ok..... got it.

Finally.

When you install SVP, you can't just use the default settings. You need to select components and choose all parts that relate top 64 bit.... so it's either madvr or lav filters.... since I did this, be now plays the file over under.

I then switch to full screen, manually set my TV to 3d over under mode.... perfect 3d.... and SVP is smoothing things out nicely.

The final piece of the puzzle.... in case anyone else is wondering... you can also set lav audio and then use that to get hdmi audio bypass.... meaning dtshd and Dolby truehd get sent did to the avr.... now things look and sound great.

I have one final question though. At the moment, I went to new profile, and only changed 2 things....I set frame rate to 120fps fixed, and I moved the slider to the highest setting for quality.... but, although the TV is a 120hz panel, it only accepts a max 60hz input..... with that in mind.... is there any benefit in using 120fps... or should I put it to 60?