Topic: Choppy Frames followed by out of sync audio

Hey all,

I'm getting an issue with a freshly rebuilt PC that I've never experienced before. Only on 1080p .mkv files so far and I use MPC-HC as well. What happens is that randomly (so far I've noticed during intense/fast paced scenes) the video will get quite choppy until the scene is over but then the audio is out of sync until I pause/play a few times and it syncs back up. This never happened on my old PC or my secondary desktop.

Specs: 6600K @ 4.4 (also tried stock speeds with same results), 16GB RAM, 970 SLI, Windows 10 (fresh install)

Older PC that worked fine: i7 920 @ 3.7, 12GB RAM, 970 SLI, Windows 10

Secondary desktop that currently runs the same files just fine: 2500K @ 4.3, 16GB RAM, single 980, Windows 10

I would assume that since the 2500K isn't even remotely struggling, the 6600K should have no hiccups at all. Any ideas?

Re: Choppy Frames followed by out of sync audio

I have no idea what could cause it, but nevertheless try out the usual troubleshooting tips:

Set your LAVfilters hardware decoder to "DXVA2 (copy-back)"
Use "Enhanced video renderer (custom presenter)"
Enable "Direct3D Fullscreen"

If none of that works, try setting SVP and/or LAVfilters to use your integrated Intel GPU instead.

I've just build a new machine a few days ago, 6700k, 32GB RAM, GTX1080, having the same problem as you.
After investigate and troubleshooting for 2 days, finally i found the root cause of this problem is the PCI-E controller on all Skylake CPU.

Boot to BIOS set the PCI-E link speed of your display card to Gen2, save and reboot.
DONE. Enjoy your movie.

Wow, that's an obscure bug.

Anyone having Skylake can confirm this?

I had this issue also. What I did was completely uninstall everything to do with potplayer, ffdshow, etc. Then re installed again following guide.
Then it worked. not sure what it was. Maybe I missed something. This was windows 10 build. I do find windows 10 more fragile than win 7.

ps.. I have a sandy bridge CPU. I dont think its exclusively Skylake only

Me too. Years ago, I had the same issue with my i5-3570k CPU. As I recall, I changed the PCI-E clock/timing/something-or-other, maxing it out to fix the problem.