Topic: beginner questions to svp4 and madvr mpc-hc

Hello,
thanks to the devs for the program.
I've a few questions I would like the devs or someone else to kindly answer.

I installed svp 4 pro for the first time on a windows 10 pc. The video player used is mpc-hc (64 bit) version 1.7.15 with madVR v0.92.12. The g-sync monitor used can display 144 Hz, native 8 bit color and works correctly in conjunction with the nvidia graphics card. Cpu is a intel i7 2600 k, all cores running at 4,4 GHz.
During installation everything mandatory was installed (filters for mpc-hc x64 version too), though I aborted the mpc-hc program installation (1.7.13) because, as said, a newer version is already installed. newest LAV filters, x32 and x64 were already installed.

1) Can mpc-hc used together with madVR and svp 4 pro? I read on the internet before that it can't, but after I installed it, it looks like it does. Didn't even needed to change any settings in mpc-hc or madVR.
After I load a video the svp message (inside mpc-hc) indicates that everything is correctly installed and running, even with madVR simultaneously. In the svp 4 manager everything is running correctly too. The black bars during video playback, are also being filled with color.
All media playback now looks very smooth.

I followed the instructions here https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVP:MPC-HC
During playback, at every start, message shown is always this: "SVP: Playback at 142.657 Automatic" and "SVP: activated Automatic".
In madVr setting, everything works as it worked before without svp 4. All madVR profiles are loaded during playback.
madVR -> rendering -> general settings "enable windowed overlay", "enable automatic fullscren exlcusive mode" and "smooth motion" are all deactivated".
Pressing CTRL + J (in mpc-hc) results in the usual information being showed.

attachment pictures:
playback3.jpg

2)
Using 1) The monitor set to 144 Hz means svp will process content to 144 Hz, which puts an extreme amount of utilization to cpu and gpu. Making a custom profile, let's call it "60 Hz", in the svp 4 manager, setting "fix frame rate 60 fps" results svp now showing the message "SVP: Playback at 59.940 60 Hz" and "SVP: activated 60 Hz". MadVR still shows "display ~ 143.8HZ" and "composition rate ~ 143.998Hz". Are these correct settings?

attachment pictures:
60Hz.jpg

Post's attachments

60Hz.jpg 189.03 kb, 157 downloads since 2018-04-09 

playback3.jpg 220.13 kb, 167 downloads since 2018-04-09 

Re: beginner questions to svp4 and madvr mpc-hc

3) In the svp 4 Manager, gpu-acceleration is activated. As expected, using 1) svp 4 + madVR, puts an immense load on the cpu. The slider in the svp 4 manager is set to the middle position;  watching 1080p content puts the cpu utilization to ~ 40 - 50 %, watching uhd-media (2160p) puts the cpu to 70 - 90 % utilization. More option than the svp 4 manager slider to tackle this?
3.1) Mpc-hc shows that frames are being droped, even when the cpu is at 50 % utilization.
What to do against frames being dropped?
3.2)  Now that the graphic card has to render not 24 or 30 frames, but 60, the gpu load is very high. Now matter what profile settings I put in madVR: chroma upscaling to Lanczos, Jinc, NGU ... the gpu load is always around 90 %.
I found the solution to this in the madVR settings: scaling algorithms ->  "your profile" -> image downscaling -> processing done by GPU video logic: set to "DXVA2".
Keeping the same other madVR settings, now, even with 2160p content, the gpu utilization is way lower. This the correct way to tackle it?

4) Disabling madVR. This how the developers intended svp 4 working in conjunction with mpc-hc? The mpc-hc  settings look like this:
- Playback -> Output -> Video Renderer: Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter). "Direct3D-Fullscreen mode" is deacvtivated.
- madVR is no longer working and shown as a tray icon. Filter, during playback are now showing the "Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)".

attachment pictures:
svp4only.jpg

Post's attachments

svp4only.jpg 234.98 kb, 174 downloads since 2018-04-09 

5) There is sometime a message shown by svp in mpc-hc: "SVP: Playback at 142.657 Automatic Black bars:276-276, 0-2". Is this due too heavy load or frames being dropped?

attachment pictures:
stuttermessage.jpg

Post's attachments

stuttermessage.jpg 136.63 kb, 164 downloads since 2018-04-09 

6) Despite setting the monitor to 144 Hz, vsp 4 sets the video to "142.657" Hz and with the monitor set to 60 Hz, vsp sets the video to "at 59.940" Hz. Is this still correct?

Thanks in advance!

6 (edited by jdg4dfv7 09-04-2018 18:50:39)

7) Using an nvidia graphics card, it's possible to add a profile to a program, where various things can be set. Is this usefull or not needed? What about g-sync (adaptive sync)? Is it working with svp 4? I know that's it's not working and should be deactivated for mp-hc or madVR.

1) yes
2) yes
3) https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Manual:FR … _Selection
3.1) reduce madVR settings
4) yes
5) no. https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Manual:Resizing

If you want SVP to automatically detect black bars at the frame edges and cut them off, select Detect and cut off black bars.

6) yes

8 (edited by jdg4dfv7 06-05-2018 22:56:02)

Thanks for the replies.
I got another question regard an issue:
8) When watching a film, or aninmated (cartoon, anime) or animated 3d film, there are some sometimes/often artifacts around moving objects; the faster an object moves the more artifacts there are.
Or imagining a zebra running in front of an greend forest.
It' s most visible when something moves horizontally, rarely vertically and for me.
Changing the option "mask artifact" from "low/medium/high" don't help. Got set it to low, high makes it worse.
Changing the overall preset to "higher quality" don't help either.
thanks!

9 (edited by dlr5668 07-05-2018 01:20:31)

jdg4dfv7 wrote:

Thanks for the replies.
I got another question regard an issue:
8) When watching a film, or aninmated (cartoon, anime) or animated 3d film, there are some sometimes/often artifacts around moving objects; the faster an object moves the more artifacts there are.
Or imagining a zebra running in front of an greend forest.
It' s most visible when something moves horizontally, rarely vertically and for me.
Changing the option "mask artifact" from "low/medium/high" don't help. Got set it to low, high makes it worse.
Changing the overall preset to "higher quality" don't help either.
thanks!

Switch to manual and try shader 13/23 with different block size. There always be artifacts but you can tune it. Double check filter list and rendering time it should be < 1000ms / fps (13.89 ms in my case). You dont have to follow list but its what works best for me

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HMhs9SSQAWo/Wu-o4DR6qZI/AAAAAAAAVgk/CMix9WBk-zUtYy8rdfFnnmMkHrMXvo-XgCHMYCw/s0/mpc-hc64_2018-05-07_04-16-11.png

10 (edited by Godmax 10-04-2020 20:19:06)

When I use more than one mpc instance (multiple videos) then for most of the time only the video selected runs smooth the other vids seem to stutter from time to time even badly. Then when I click on one of the other videos the stutter is completely gone and then the other vids stutter.
Is there a way to get rid of that? Somehow all videos need to be in focus not just one. CPU and GPU load is minimal and the MadVR settings are low, no upscaling and stuff.

Or is that a problem with different frame rates like Vid 1 has 23,976fps and vid 25fps

Why you need more than one video at once.
How you watch it?
(I can watch only one video at once).

BTW. When I playback two videos 24fps and 30fps simultaneously they both playback with SVP at 60fps without any issues.
Check SVP setting value in menu - Application settings - Additional options - Running multiply videos. It must be setted to: Use SVP in all opened videos

12 (edited by Godmax 11-04-2020 10:35:02)

Yes I checked that. I use MPC with MadVR and sometimes maybe MPV as well. Maybe its a Gsync prob but then again I deactivated it and it also happened ^^.
SVP is active in all videos but some begin to stutter if not selected not running as the primary window. I didnt have the problem before so it could be a Gsync a driver a graphicscard problem or a SVP update but then again there are dozens of settings in SVP and MadVR and well the NV control panel....I think Ive set up MadVR pretty good after going through this forum. However the best SVP settings for me are still automatic with 144fps (or 72fps) for my 144hz monitor setting it to video x3-x5 isnt as smooth.

> or a SVP update

SVP doesn't do anything on video player window focus changed. It even doesn't know if some window has focus or not.

Yes ok good then it must be a driver or MPC/MadVR thing.