Topic: How is 64-bit setup working for you?

Just curious, as I am or thinking about changing over to 64-bit. Last time I did was early 2016. So let me know, preferably for Potplayer. How does it work? Can you see some slow downs, how is it compared to 32-bit and so on? ^^

2 (edited by biff 25-01-2017 15:33:34)

Re: How is 64-bit setup working for you?

Been using 64bit Potplayer for months. No "slowdowns", though I didn't have slowdowns with the 32bit version either. Doesn't need (nor can it use) ReClock and works great with or without FFDshow (so you don't need to install that either if you don't want). And, to my eyes, the built-in video options (i.e. VMR9/EVR scaler options (I use Shader(2-Pass) Lanczos) plus the Resize options (I use Bicubic and set the multiplier to 2 times)) enable you to approximate MadVr quality (i.e. in MadVr setting all scaling algorithms to Jinc w/o activate ringing filter and not touching upscaling refinement) at half the GPU usage. So, even though I'm using a 55" 4K TV to watch documentaries with SVP, I don't use MadVr either. PotPlayer has more built-in options for audio playback than MPC or anything else I've seen (I have a 4.1 audio system). To my ears, sound quality is better on the 64bit version compared to 32bit if you have a decent sound system.

biff wrote:

Been using 64bit Potplayer for months. No "slowdowns", though I didn't have slowdowns with the 32bit version either. Doesn't need (nor can it use) ReClock and works great with or without FFDshow (so you don't need to install that either if you don't want). And, to my eyes, the built-in video options (i.e. VMR9/EVR scaler options (I use Shader(2-Pass) Lanczos) plus the Resize options (I use Bicubic and set the multiplier to 2 times)) enable you to approximate MadVr quality (i.e. in MadVr setting all scaling algorithms to Jinc w/o activate ringing filter and not touching upscaling refinement) at half the GPU usage. So, even though I'm using a 55" 4K TV to watch documentaries with SVP, I don't use MadVr either. PotPlayer has more built-in options for audio playback than MPC or anything else I've seen (I have a 4.1 audio system). To my ears, sound quality is better on the 64bit version compared to 32bit if you have a decent sound system.

Oh nice to know, going to try it myself. Just going to save my potplayer settings incase I come back to 32-bit. By the way if its not to much problem could you add your Potplayer settings and filter, or at least the important ones you are using for 64-bit, just curious and I would greatly appreciate it.

4 (edited by biff 26-01-2017 01:14:41)

Basically the same as here: https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVP:Daum_PotPlayer

Except that I set LAV hardware acceleration to NVIDIA CUVID because I have a GTX970 and it's totally safe to do so on the 64bit version. The rest of what I do is pretty much contained in the previous post.

Also, following another contributor's advice, I've reduced artifacts on the documentaries I watch to nearly zero by setting SVP as follows:
Motion vectors grid: 24px. Large 2
Decrease grid step: By two with global refinement

Doing this produces much the same effect as setting the first to "12 px. average 1" and the second to "disabled" but has the aforementioned advantage of almost completely eliminating artifacts for me.