Re: How Do I Get The Best Settings

ArcticWolf_11 wrote:
Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
ArcticWolf_11 wrote:

Thanks, your explanation of the settings really helped a lot. Is there anything else that I can do to get maximum smoothness, perhaps changing settings in the video player or MadVR and Reclock?

The only other thing is to make sure that you're doing interpolation by an exact multiple, like 24fps @ x3 to 72fps rather than to 75fps.

Since you have a G-sync monitor, your monitor should automatically match its refresh rate to the interpolated frame rate and therefore you don't have to worry about matching and changing refresh rates and stuff - just make sure G-sync is working and you'll be fine!

Also, with Chainlink's settings, you could try to increase the settings for motion vectors precision, motion vectors grid, and processing of scene changes, but be wary as they may increase the artifacting to unacceptable as well.

Thanks for all the help! Is there a manual with a description of all the settings and what they do, if not will one be made soon?

Could you share with me yours "Override.js" instead? I dont know if I need to just copy and then paste, or do I need to do something more and its not that easy? In that case I would liked if you shared your copy of the mentioned file.

27 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 07-09-2016 18:31:03)

ArcticWolf_11 wrote:

Thanks for all the help! Is there a manual with a description of all the settings and what they do, if not will one be made soon?

I already answered most of this question via my previous post: http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic … 279#p61279

Though I didn't really explain what motion vectors grid and motion vectors precision do...

Motion vectors grid makes the the video "feel" faster; basically a smaller pixel setting will result in SVP interpolating more pixels on-screen.

Because it's based on the video's resolution (after SVP scales it; not your media player), this means that the value should actually be changed depending on the resolution - 8px on a 960x540 will have the same "feel" as 16px on a 1920x1080 video.  This also means that using small values on high resolution videos (like 8px on 1080p) can give particularly nasty artifacts.

Motion vectors precision determines the resolution of the resulting interpolated pixels; this is particularly important for smaller and slower movements and using half pixel should feel more "fluid" and, in my experience, more like native high frame rate content than two pixels.

Like "grid", this setting is also based on the video's resolution after SVP's own scaling, so again, half pixel on a 960x540 video will have the same "feel" as one pixel on a 1920x1080 video.  Similarly, using half pixel with 1080p+ content can not only give displeasing artifacts but it also takes much more CPU grunt as well.

kevingwn wrote:

> I too would appreciate it if you could list what these settings mean in the GUI.
> Wow, that looks great! Now how do I use this script? XD
I have the same settings as Chainik's post, and edit SVP 4/script/overrride.js

levels.full                = true;

analyse.main.levels            = 3;
analyse.main.search.distance        = -8;
analyse.main.search.coarse.distance    = -12;

analyse.refine[0]            = {search:{distance:-6}};
analyse.refine[1]            = {search:{distance:-4}};

Thanks, I'll have to give this a try.

Description of SVPFlow

Like "grid", this setting is also based on the video's resolution after SVP's own scaling, so again, half pixel on a 960x540 video will have the same "feel" as one pixel on a 1920x1080 video.  Similarly, using half pixel with 1080p+ content can not only give displeasing artifacts but it also takes much more CPU grunt as well.

So frame pixel count * 4 -> SVP "pixel precision" * 2?

TayyabKhalid wrote:
ArcticWolf_11 wrote:

The only other thing is to make sure that you're doing interpolation by an exact multiple, like 24fps @ x3 to 72fps rather than to 75fps.

Since you have a G-sync monitor, your monitor should automatically match its refresh rate to the interpolated frame rate and therefore you don't have to worry about matching and changing refresh rates and stuff - just make sure G-sync is working and you'll be fine!

Also, with Chainlink's settings, you could try to increase the settings for motion vectors precision, motion vectors grid, and processing of scene changes, but be wary as they may increase the artifacting to unacceptable as well.

Could you share with me yours "Override.js" instead? I dont know if I need to just copy and then paste, or do I need to do something more and its not that easy? In that case I would liked if you shared your copy of the mentioned file.

Sorry, was busy these past few days, here are my settings

Pastebin so that it doesn't fill up my post lol

http://pastebin.com/KG4FsHjx

ArcticWolf_11

Better late than never, am I right? Thanks for sharing this, I appreciate it a lot. After changing my settings to yours I see so many changes already, like for instance, my CPU usage is even lower and more stable. What is this magic?
Thank again! big_smile

33 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 14-09-2016 21:49:59)

So uh, is there any chance that we might be able to update the SVP wiki with info regarding these magical anime-optimized settings?

In particular I still haven't a clue on how to use them myself. tongue

ArcticWolf_11 wrote:

Is it me or every setting line starts with // aka comment ?

dlr5668 wrote:
ArcticWolf_11 wrote:

Is it me or every setting line starts with // aka comment ?

Idk, I just pasted everything in my config file lol

So uh, is there any chance that we might be able to update the SVP wiki with info regarding these magical anime-optimized settings?

In particular I still haven't a clue on how to use them myself. tongue

I'll give it a go, maybe put my settings on there, so far everything works great!

ArcticWolf_11 wrote:

I'll give it a go, maybe put my settings on there, so far everything works great!

I and many others would likely love you forever.  I mean, those settings on the wiki are 4 years old now, and I'm pretty sure SVP's algorithms have at least changed a bit since then.

This is likely madVR's fault as it can be quite the performance hog.  Protip: set SVP and LAVfilters to use your integrated Intel GPU while madVR uses your discrete GPU.

Hello,

I'm tempted to try this, but before experimenting, let's check whether it's a good idea...
I'm currently using MPC+SVP+MADVR on i7@4.4Ghz + GTX960@1.5Ghz 2Gb
Currently the h264 1080p is managed flawlessly (except MVC), but I'm interested in getting more power so that I can manage HEVC content in 1080p and 4K. The diffuser being a 1080p 60Hz projector.

Is it a rock stable method to activate the intel HD Graphics 3000 and rely on this for SVP? I mean, because I currently have two displays, I don't want to get an erratic behaviour each time I restart the PC, or any other event regarding displays and desktops. For instance, If I have to create a new extended desktop in order to activate the iGPU, I'm afraid of side effects (losing mouse, apps, vidéos that would go on this virtual desktop).

Last question, is  HD Graphics 3000 powerful enough to compute a good SVP interpolation?

The Cpu clockrate and temp are normal........(70°)

Sorry i made some mistakes,

levels.full                = true;

is not necessary, keep it commented to save some memory
and

analyse.main.search.coarse.distance    = -12;

is also unnecessary, "Search radius: Large" do the same thing.

These settings actually limit the motion vectors only searched in
(take 1920x1080 for example)
Level            Width        Block size:Search distance
3                  480          32:-12(~=128:-48@1920)
2                  960          32:-12(~=64:-24@1920)
1                  1920        32:-8
refine[0]       1920        16:-6
refine[1]       1920        8:-4

I think it may reduce artifacts on large movements and keep smoothness on small movements.

Franck wrote:

i7@4.4Ghz

Last question, is  HD Graphics 3000 powerful enough to compute a good SVP interpolation?

This to me sounds like you have an i7-2600k or i7-2700k.  If this is the case then don't bother because Sandy Bridge's iGPU is considerably weaker than Haswell's (which the person I was replying to had).

Indeed, 2600k inside. I forget this idea. Thanks

44 (edited by Larwood 17-09-2016 07:15:53)

I've done a lot of tinkering and found that these are the best settings for anime. You do get a little bit of artifacting around moving objects occasionally, but I find that easily ignorable and well worth the tradeoff. These settings are quite demanding for some anime, they do tax my system which is an overclocked i5-6600k and 980 Ti.

I've actually found that complicated shader is worse in most circumstances, it can cause panning shots to stutter and other weird effects.

Post's attachments

Untitled.png, 11.1 kb, 482 x 271
Untitled.png 11.1 kb, 596 downloads since 2016-09-17 

45 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 17-09-2016 07:20:26)

Larwood wrote:

I've actually found that complicated shader is worse in most circumstances, it can cause panning shots to stutter and other weird effects.

You are only working with exact multiples, right? (x2, x3, x4, etc).

Also one thing to keep in mind is that, for whatever reason, the complicated shader has fewer artifacts when GPU acceleration is turned off (more info).

You are only working with exact multiples, right? (x2, x3, x4, etc).

Yep.