1 (edited by datboishagg 25-03-2016 06:51:51)

Topic: SVP 4.0 Blue Screened My Computer

Intel i5-4690K 3.5GHz
ASUS Z97-AR LGA 1150 Motherboard
Asus 970
Asus VG248QE 24" 144hz Monitor
Vizio M43-C1 4K TV
Crucial Ballistix 16GB 12800
Crucial M500 240GB SSD
i am using MPC-HC Kawaii Codec Pack which may be the reason.
started with a clean uninstall of 3.1.7, i didnt restart in between because the program did not call for it. Not sure how my working mpc-hc settings could have effected the stock 4.0 settings. i had mpc-hc playing on my 4k tv that may have been related. other than that im not sure.

Re: SVP 4.0 Blue Screened My Computer

SVP itself can't produce BSOD.
If you have BSOD it's because either overheating or some driver instability (usually the video driver)

To clarify, SVP can expose instability that can cause a BSoD.  When I was still figuring out a stable undervolt, I found that SVP was actually more intensive than the likes of prime95.

(I've since then discovered something even more intensive, but that's off-topic)

I concur with the above statements. It's impossible for SVP to cause a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death).

IF BSOD occurs it's either instability in your GPU, RAM, or CPU. Rarely any other hardware component can cause BSOD.

Aida64 has great RAM & CPU Stress Tests.

But if you want one of the best methods of testing the all-round stability of your PC; download and install the latest ASUS RealBench. Run it, make sure Benchmark is selected (Grey Colour), put the number 10 in the white-box under it (that will tell it to run the benchmark test 10 times in a row; obviously DON'T tick infinite), and make sure all FOUR options are ticked to the right side (Image Editing, H264 Video Encoding, OpenCL, Heavy Multitasking). It will most likely cause a BSOD in one of the benchmarks. Leave it running.

We need to figure out if it's GPU, RAM, or CPU that's causing your BSOD.

5 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 25-03-2016 20:03:31)

Well then, if we're going to post recommendations on finding instability, I must mention my own method that I've semi-recently discovered that seems to be absolutely foolproof:

Myself @ overclock.net/t/1487922/going-deeper-on-the-x264-v2-stress-test/30#post_24256603 wrote:

I had run x264 v2 over night without any issue, but when I did the following I had a BSoD within 30 minutes.  Sure enough, increasing my vcore a bit fixed it and it's been completely rock-solid stable since.  Therefore, I believe that running the following all at the same time is the ultimate stability test:

Most of the time you will get a BSoD within 30 minutes if you aren't rock-solid stable, and if you can make it ~5 hours without a crash it's likely that you're already rock-solid stable and that you wouldn't get a crash even if you ran it all night.

Maybe not, but if I have autoplay next video in directory on in MPC-HC and there is no next video in the directory when I have SVP on, SVP causes a complete system lockup that requires a restart to resolve.

VB_SVP wrote:

Maybe not, but if I have autoplay next video in directory on in MPC-HC and there is no next video in the directory when I have SVP on, SVP causes a complete system lockup that requires a restart to resolve.

Never had such thing although I also don't use MPC at the first place.

datboishagg
What are the BSOD details?
They can clarify the cause of the error.
You can read it from crash dumps.

BTW, you can have both SVP3 and SVP4 installed in separate folders. And you can use one of them at one time. Close one, launch another. wink