flowreen91 wrote:
Drakko01 wrote:

Any tips, scripts, or guidance would be highly appreciated.

Best tip I can give: any of the top models on artificialanalysis.ai, with a $20 subscription, can run tests like this with you. They'd probably reach the same conclusion mine did:

SVP can't run R81 as is. R80 dropped the old plugin API (API 3) and svpflow, which every SVP profile loads, still uses it. R81's big changes are for VapourSynth's own GPU filters, which SVP doesn't use. SVP's plugins do the heavy work themselves, so a faster VapourSynth can gain nothing with svpflow and at most about 1% with RIFE.

I made a small add-on plugin that sits between R81 and SVP's old plugins and translates the old API to the new one, so R81 can run SVP. With it, R81 gives identical frames (to R73 too) and the same speed as R79. R79 is faster than SVP's R73 (svpflow about 6% at 1080p, more at 4K), but the VS-R79 package already has that.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share these detailed  explanations! I really appreciate it.

Just to clarify, my main goal here isn't necessarily to gain more frames or raw speed. In my experience, upgrading VapourSynth versions has almost always translated into improvements in visual quality and video filtering precision,  rather than just performance. I have always preferred using the latest updated versions for this exact reason.

For instance, with VapourSynth R79, I already noticed a better handling of fast-paced scenes. Right now, I am specifically looking closely at how its improved frame caching and memory architecture allow SVP+RIFE to better manage contextual oclusions—reducing haloing around fast objects—as well as maintaining the stability of optical flow calculations to prevent frame flickering.

I'll definitely keep exploring how it handles these specific visual scenarios. Thanks again

Hi @flowreen91, you helped me last time, so maybe you can now too!
Hey everyone, and especially calling out flowreen91! You gave me some amazing advice recently, and I’m hoping you (or anyone else in the community) might have some insights.
I'm looking to test the new VapourSynth R81 (RC1) release.
Any tips, scripts, or guidance would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

As a long-time SVP user since its early days, I honestly can't imagine watching videos without it, and I am incredibly grateful to the developers for their work. That said, as I’ve mentioned here before, our different setups and personal experiences naturally lead to diverse opinions which, at the end of the day, don't really help much.

> A version can have identical math performance but be fundamentally broken in stability, or introduce visual artifacts that completely ruin the output.

My previous example definitely pushed things to the extreme to make a point.

so, do you think that Vapoursynth R73 is "fundamentally broken in stability, or introduce visual artifacts that completely ruin the output", while R80 fixed this? really?
Nobody is saying R73 is broken. It isn't broken; it's just that the software naturally evolves.

Chainik
and given the "picture quality", "R31" and R79 are identical

Again no , claiming the output quality is "identical" ignores massive under-the-hood upgrades, bug fixes, and compatibility rewrites that directly impact final visual fidelity.
1. Enhanced Precision and Native Color Format Support
2. Resolution of Core Precision and Rounding Bugs
3. Deep Integration with Modern AI/ML Filters
4. Frame Accuracy and Temporal Stability

IF there're no "fundamentally broken in stability, or introduce visual artifacts that completely ruin the output" then I personally don't see any reason for running for the latest versions of everything
Software evolution isn't limited to avoiding critical failures, but rather aims for continuous excellence. Any improvement in visual fidelity or general stability justifies the update

Chainik wrote:

> Do you honestly, truly believe that every single VapourSynth version works exactly the same?

in terms of performance of a complicated math running in its own native libraries - yes, sure

You are proving my exact point. Looking at this purely in terms of 'performance math' is where your approach fails to see the bigger picture.
A version can have identical math performance but be fundamentally broken in stability, or introduce visual artifacts that completely ruin the output. Evaluating a tool solely by its performance metrics while completely ignoring stability and image quality.
Software updates aren't just about benchmark numbers or raw execution speed in native libraries. Different VapourSynth versions introduce critical bug fixes, memory leak resolutions, stability patches, and changes in how frames are handled or rendered.


> why didn't you just freeze the whole thing at r31 and call it a day.

because other open source components depend on newer versions, even if there're no real benefits
this is how open source world works
for example, on macOS mpv should be installed from Homebrew repo, which provides only the latest versions of everything (right now R80) even if it breaks things

Once again, you are proving my exact point. Software interactions between different versions lead to entirely different results (sometimes).
At the end of the day, the most important thing to me is the final visual result. I care about the quality of the image on my screen, not how fast the engine building process take to build or have a faster seek.

I’m sure you could have given me the same answer Flowreen91 just did when I initially asked about this in my previous post, but you chose not to, but now that someone else did, you only show up to nitpick and minimized.

Chainik wrote:

> I was finally able to use the R79

so, is it any better?
(hint: no big_smile)

Very funny! But as I’ve stated many times, I prefer to keep all my components updated unless it breaks something. If that’s really your way of thinking, why do you keep updating it every now and then anyway? And in such a lazy manner. Do you honestly, truly believe that every single VapourSynth version works exactly the same? Because if that’s your brilliant logic, why didn't you just freeze the whole thing at r31 and call it a day.

Hey @flowreen91, I just wanted to say a huge thank you for your help! Thanks to your clear instructions, I was finally able to use the R79. I actually brought this topic up a few posts back, but no one really showed any interest at the time. I truly appreciate you taking the time to help me and for bringing this topic back to the table. Thanks again!

flowreen91 wrote:
narkohol wrote:

Is there any improvement by using latest versions of Vapoursynth?

Tested it: no. RIFE (TRT and TRT-RTX, 1080p and 4K) runs at the same speed on R73 (what SVP ships), R79 and R80, within 0.6%. Plain svpflow (non-RIFE profile, 1080p and 4K) is the same on R73 and R79, within run to run noise. R80 dropped API 3 plugins, so SVP's svpflow, vstrt and akarin don't load on it at all; R79 is the newest SVP can use.

Hi @flowreen91,

Since you mentioned that Vapoursynth R79 is the newest version SVP can use, could you share how exactly you got R79 to work with SVP?
I'm trying to test it myself, but MPC-HC crashes instantly as soon as I try to use R79.
Any quick steps or guidance on how you set up your test environment with R79 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Drakko01 wrote:

I am having an issue trying to use the new VapourSynth R78 candidate release with SVP.Previously, when testing versions (like up to R77), I would simply replace the vapoursynth.dll file as usual, and everything worked perfectly. However, after doing the exact same thing with the new R78 DLL, my video player just  closes instantly whenever I try to open a video.If I revert back to the R77 DLL, the player works normal again.(any player)

I know that R78 introduced a breaking change or an API update that causes SVP or the player script to crash.
Does anyone know a way to make R78 work with SVP manually, and what exactly do I need to change? Is there another file or configuration I need to modify.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I previously submitted this , but it has been completely ignored.It seems like nobody cares about this or sees any value in it.

I am having an issue trying to use the new VapourSynth R78 candidate release with SVP.Previously, when testing versions (like up to R77), I would simply replace the vapoursynth.dll file as usual, and everything worked perfectly. However, after doing the exact same thing with the new R78 DLL, my video player just  closes instantly whenever I try to open a video.If I revert back to the R77 DLL, the player works normal again.(any player)

I know that R78 introduced a breaking change or an API update that causes SVP or the player script to crash.
Does anyone know a way to make R78 work with SVP manually, and what exactly do I need to change? Is there another file or configuration I need to modify.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Chainik wrote:

API is the same, the problem is in different packaging/installation
from what I tried, "portable" R74 doesn't like portable Python 3.12
but maybe I'm just stupid

> everyone praised their quality

hmm

Actually, Sorry I didn't mean 'quality,' I meant performance. Most people think updating isn't necessary until you guys make it official. Only then does it become 'essential' and everyone starts promoting it.

dawkinscm wrote:
Drakko01 wrote:
Chainik wrote:

at least it isn't a simple drop-in replacement

Why not? i am testing R75RC1 right now.

Because there are apparently breaking changes to the API with R74 (this needs to be verified). Maybe SVP isn't affected but there doesn't seem to be any real major advantages to upgrading either.

I’m aware of the standard installation process may brake things , my approach is to simply swap the core files for R74 or R75rc1 to test them immediately. It’s a bit ironic: when new versions like R70 through R73 were first discussed, the consensus was that there were no 'major advantages.' However, as soon as they were officially released by the SVP team, everyone praised their quality. I'd rather validate the improvements firsthand than wait for the official release

Chainik wrote:
Ironclad wrote:

Does Vapoursynth R74 break compatibility?

at least it isn't a simple drop-in replacement

Why not? i am testing R75RC1 right now.

Chainik wrote:

github version doesn't pass DV metadata
no idea if this could be connected with vrr

Yes, that's what I thought, I'm not saying it's related to VRR, but it does activate the mode on the TV. The only problem is that to recreate this with the  other files I have to manually change the filter to the ones on Github. Can you think of a way to make the filter work with both in the same way?

Hello everyone, in the quest for the best visual experience and after many hours of trial and error, Mpcbe+MpcVR+SVP+Rife now runs smoothly. After several attempts and configurations, the Hz fluctuation (VRR mode) on the Samsung TV is activated, just as when using MPV.
This post was created for two reasons:
To gather feedback on how to improve this setup even more, and to discuss it with anyone who's interested.
I want to be clear that no technical reality will change My belief that the image looks better this way.However, all opinions are welcome.
This is mentioned because attempts to clarify some doubts on the Doom9 forum were met with the common reply that VRR is not supported
I manage to get it work the way I wanted (Kinda) so my first question here its for Chainik considering his contributions here https://github.com/CrendKing/avisynth_filter

When I use the avisynth filter provide for svp 1.47@svp or 1.48@svp with file like this then VRR on the tv engaged

Format                         : HEVC
Format/Info                    : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                 : Main 10@L5@High
HDR format                     : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, Profile 8.1, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, no metadata compression, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version HDR10+ Profile B, HDR10+ Profile B compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, Version HDR10, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                       : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC

But no file like this one

Format                         : HEVC
Format/Info                    : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                 : Main 10@L5.1@Main
HDR format                     : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                       : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC

If the Avisynth filter from GitHub, versions 1.47 or 1.48, is used, the opposite happens

Chainik wrote:

all the math (with any artifacts) are inside RIFE itself, Vapoursynth or Avisynth just runs it

Honest question , Do you mean every version use this math in the exact way? Because I test 10 movies of my collection  and look better than before.

dawkinscm wrote:
Drakko01 wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

I've been thinking about upgrading Vapoursynth for a while now. What are the benefits you are seeing?

I always speak on what i see, never in technical aspect that not know. and maybe before I broke something for manual changes i made.
but after replace the files the playback was different and I prefer so.

What do you see?

I say this figuratively; I'm not referring to timing or any technical aspect. If I notice a visual improvement, I consider it a win. In the latest svp update, or perhaps because of my own fault, I see a lot of image errors, like in the early days of Rife; with R72, I notice less obvious or almost disappeared.
To be honest I don't wanna change anything to test if really has to be for the vapoursynth or just pure coincidence.

dawkinscm wrote:
Drakko01 wrote:

Hi, for those interesting , I'm give a run to the new pre-release vapoursynth R72-RC1 and a like the results , for all those that tell me there no benefit, blabla. All the times that I been saying that its good to update this, and Svp developers sooner or later give us the update, when its a latest version.

I've been thinking about upgrading Vapoursynth for a while now. What are the benefits you are seeing?

I always speak on what i see, never in technical aspect that not know. and maybe before I broke something for manual changes i made.
but after replace the files the playback was different and I prefer so.

Chainik wrote:
upgrading Vapoursynth is like upgrading VC++ redists
i.e. absolutely pointless big_smile

I think upgrading VC++ redists can break stuff if the old redist is replaced since the libraries are not backwards compatible. smile

So tell me why Svp installer dont use and R64 version.

Hi, for those interesting , I'm give a run to the new pre-release vapoursynth R72-RC1 and a like the results , for all those that tell me there no benefit, blabla. All the times that I been saying that its good to update this, and Svp developers sooner or later give us the update, when its a latest version.

Hi  someone are updated to  Vapoursynth R71 https://github.com/vapoursynth/vapoursynth/releases, before Chainik roll the update of R70 i got it work by myself , but i cant remember how I did it.

I will like to test  the R71, so if anyone have some advice to make it work i really appreciated the reply.

If Chainik could rollout an update via maintenance application even better

reconhell wrote:

My installation is fine. Don't just say things. I have tried many times across many installations across mutiple OS installations. There is not much to it. It just doesn't work.
The moment i turn on RIFE. the video freezes. I see some text in CMD. and then soon enough no more new text, and just left with freezing video. or a video that just plays extremely slow at 0.1 fps
It's a garbage feature honestly. If in 2 years it can't even work once normally. I wish it did though, because im curious why everyone is on this.
And I really don't get how it is "working" for others. But yeah for me Big nope sad

Ok, fair enough, I said your installation broke/change or missing something and maybe isn't , if you are 100% sure that your installation is ok, I would try find what's causing the problem outside the program, this entire thread has been using rife with many different setups since been implemented and came across with a variety of problems, some so inexplicable that none can reproduced to check.

I don't say just this to discredit you , quite the opposite. Your exact problem happened to me (don't recall exactly the reason but I will look for it ,to try  help you).

One time a windows update broke Svp for me, bang my head try to fixed and the next windows update fix it, in other a bad driver from NVidia make my playback choppy.

I say sincerely, the majority here try to help , like all forum you may find useless post only to brag or talk his absolute truth.

Can you do something like this maybe we can sorted out the problem https://imgur.com/a/VHVCvBZ and one more thing in the path that the builder say the engine file its created , can you check if its actually saved or not

reconhell wrote:
noctis4329 wrote:
reconhell wrote:

Everytime i try to use rife it shows a CMD prompt. and it loads for a very long itme but my video never plays. This hasn't changed in 2 years. not with my rtx 4090 and rtx 5090. i dont get where you guys use this for... seems totally useless im sorry.

long time? i wait only 1 minute for the first time i use a new model for a new resolution.

I can wait however long but it aint changing anything

The problem its that something broke/change or missing in your installation, its not how Rife behave. Like noctis4329 and RickyAstle98 mentioned, the cmd its a normal action and take 1 minute then save and play , next time for that same resolution its not triggered

And for many of us , not using Rife isn't a option.

RickyAstle98 wrote:

Well, you prefer less compatible video player, my 180Hz GSync monitor works great, no matter what multipliers, targets being set!
I dont recomend RIFE x2.5 (24>60) then LSFG x2 because you will see scene transitions more often, since one half the frame being reprojected twice!

About TV VRR window, man thats just TV without LFC/SFD algorithms, which means LSFG will capture frames with JIT delays!
Anyway thanks for your testing, prefer RIFE x3 too, dont see any obvious for GPU cook, since LSFG paired w/RIFE frames allows super high refresh rate conversions with tiny amount of difference!

About tiny amount of difference, of course LSFG is bad from 24FPS conversion, but from RIFEd 48/72 - works/looks 4 times better!

I understand what you saying and I don't refute that a 180hz Gsync monitor can do much better than my tv at any multipliers. But I don't have monitors in my setup.

About Rife x2.5 I concur . whit the settings you suggested i try Rife x2+Lsfg 120hz and Rife x3 Lsfg 120hz

And for a more compatible video player. MPV for me is exactly the opposite, very jerky and stuttering playback .Maybe I change something and made mpv works like that. I really don't know.

If you have a way and time to tested mpv on a similar tv. Your recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks RickyAstle98/flowreen91  for your recommendations. Its none of that, the app capture fine the frames , enable Draw FPS its the first I do at the start of testing and its ok.

Close overlays like Steam, Discord, NVIDIA,  I never test something with overlays open!

I don't use Mpv, don't liked

The source problem, as I mentioned its hardware related, I think the tv accept better via Gsync compatible and VRR the 72fps or 96 fps of rife x3 and x4, the settings of the picture giving by RickyAstle98 give similar result but still  I prefer  Rife x3 /x4

I'm using windows 11 24h2 , mpcvr testing version, not the vapoursynth of svp, many variables to tweak and try

But again thanks both, I really enjoy testing others option to improve my viewing experience, and some many time through time rewatching movies or clip  I remember how we started and how far we've come today.

Many time thanks to this thread

Any combination I try with LSFG +Rife its not given me better viewing experiences  that Rife x3 or x4 on my tv, maybe I doing something wrong or some setting/program or parameter in my config its interfering.

flowreen91 wrote:
Drakko01 wrote:

Yeah I know, but i dont wanna pay for lsfg

You can test it with SVP without actually buying it from Steam lol
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ … tD8HzyIQ_e



Ok thanks for that! Now any recommendations on settings
the hardware that I have its the following

I5 13600K
Rtx 4070 ti super
Display Samsung tv Qn85B @120fps/gsync compatible
Player Mpc-be/mpc vr

Thanks in advance