Topic: Does GPU-acceleration really work?

Hallo guys,

because my TV gives horrible results when doing motion interpolation, I´ve installed SVP 3.0.3 the big package) to let my pc do the job. It is an Athlon64 X2 3000 with an ATI 6670 (Catalyst driver 11.8). When SVP is turned on the cpu usage goes to 90-100% with the effect of a stuttering playback. So I tried the OpenCL option which surprisingly doesn´t improve anything. Suspecting that Nvidia´s CUDA is supported much better, I tried a GT430 as well. But with the Nvidia card the amount of stuttering is even higher.

Therfore my big question(s): shouldn´t the GPU-acceleration lower the cpu usage, should it? Why is there obviously no difference between GPU- and CPU-acceleration? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Wolpers

Re: Does GPU-acceleration really work?

Hello, Wolpers.

1. First of all you should check item "Core2Duo profiles" when install SVP (pic).
2. After change ATI/AMD videocard to nVidia you must to uninstall all old video-drivers. Use special utilies for complete remove old drivers from your system. After that install nVidia WHQL-driver 275.33 or oldest. New ones has OpenCL 1.1 which are not completely supported by SVP yet.
3. At any time you can run SVPMark test to compare results with and without GPU.

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=464

Good luck

Post's attachments

SVP_C2D_profiles.png, 36.92 kb, 513 x 398
SVP_C2D_profiles.png 36.92 kb, 588 downloads since 2011-08-21 

3 (edited by wolpers0815 21-08-2011 15:44:01)

MAG79 wrote:

Hello, Wolpers.

1. First of all you should check item "Core2Duo profiles" when install SVP (pic).
2. After change ATI/AMD videocard to nVidia you must to uninstall all old video-drivers. Use special utilies for complete remove old drivers from your system. After that install nVidia WHQL-driver 275.33 or oldest. New ones has OpenCL 1.1 which are not completely supported by SVP yet.
3. At any time you can run SVPMark test to compare results with and without GPU.

Good luck

Thank you, MAG79, for the hint regarding the drivers. But due to some other disappointments I have removed the whole Nvidia stuff from my pc to give the ATI 6670 a second try. By the way I tried both Catalyst 11.7 (as stated) and 11.8 without the expected GPU acceleration boost? Do you have any additional hint for that graphic card?

Best regards, Wolpers

4 (edited by Rimsky 21-08-2011 17:17:49)

did you install OpenCL driver with catalyst software?
did you run svpmark? gpu-score and cpu-score are equal?

due to gpu-accleration I want to tip that it work but in 50% of cases bring a bit performance
gpu-accleration visibly at full-hd cinema with hard settings

Rimsky wrote:

did you install OpenCL driver with catalyst software?
did you run svpmark? gpu-score and cpu-score are equal?

due to gpu-accleration I want to tip that it work but in 50% of cases bring a bit performance
gpu-accleration visibly at full-hd cinema with hard settings

OpenCL was part of the big Catalyst installer package. Because I don´t yet know how to interpret the SVPmark results I´ve attached them (one with OpenCL on and one with OpenCL off). From my amateur point of view the values of cpu and gpu are not that far away as I had expected. Is this normal behaviour? What seems to be the bottleneck of my system?

Post's attachments

svpmark_2108_2231.log 1.19 kb, 717 downloads since 2011-08-21 

svpmark_2108_2241.log 1.2 kb, 571 downloads since 2011-08-21 

wolpers0815
I don´t yet know how to interpret the SVPmark results
http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVPmark see description.

Yours scores are MG524 and MC303, what means 524 GPU-scores vs 303 CPU-scores. GPU-acceleration is working, but only in synthetic tests.
The result of Real-life subtests is N/A. hmm
It is because of this line:

48 fps - vectors search:        N/A

I dont know why vectors search subtest is not working on your system.

7 (edited by Rimsky 22-08-2011 02:47:21)

wolpers0815 wrote:

Suspecting that Nvidia´s CUDA is supported much better, I tried a GT430 as well

did you mean that gpu-accleration works on GT430?
about half of developers have radeon videocards, and to trouble with it

Rimsky
I have nVidia and no troubles wink

9 (edited by Rimsky 22-08-2011 04:46:03)

MAG79 its wonderful, but what we going to do with wolpers0815 trouble?
I wonder what Chainik says about does't working vectors search subtest

previously i also had a rather slow system, q6600@3.2GHz with GF8600 that is still faster than yours. GPU acceleration was absolutely useless. when i asked about this on forum, i got the answer "gpu mainly helps with high/highest setting that is anyway overkill for your slow cpu"

amd 6670 should be enough for acceleration, but with your cpu it cannot help

IMHO:
1. yes, amd 6670 enough for acceleration
2. no, gpu-acceleration help a little, it should up svp-index from 0.5 to 0.8  smile

wolpers has trouble with does't working vectors search subtest, his result - N/A

So, you guys think that my cpu is too weak? To be honest, I never felt happy with that one, but nevertheless hoped to get into 2012 with that (especially after tuning the old stuff with a new graphics card). Maybe I´ll replace my whole system with a hopefully more powerful Sandy bridge.

13 (edited by Rimsky 22-08-2011 08:52:18)

wolpers0815 wrote:

So, you guys think that my cpu is too weak

I dont think so, I know that!
but you system can smooth video up to 720p at simple settings, even Atom-based system can smooth video, MAG79 confirm, watch test result in forum svp-mark, first message
I am interesting svp-index score, please, press CTRL+SHIFT+G while playing video and show screenshot with GPU-ON and GPU-OFF

Wait for a Bulldozer, after his release Sandy Bridge should be cheapper  smile

Rimsky wrote:
wolpers0815 wrote:

So, you guys think that my cpu is too weak

I dont think so, I know that!
but you system can smooth video up to 720p at simple settings, even Atom-based system can smooth video, MAG79 confirm, watch test result in forum svp-mark, first message
I am interesting svp-index score, please, press CTRL+SHIFT+G while playing video and show screenshot with GPU-ON and GPU-OFF

Wait for a Bulldozer, after his release Sandy Bridge should be cheapper  smile

OK, I played around with 720p50 material from our german tv stations. without_svp.jpg shows a screenshot with SVP stopped. All frame rates (in decoder, in ffdshow and in the evr) are around 50fps (as they should be). gpu.jpg shows a screenshot with SVP (gpu mode) turned on. The decoder and ffdshow input frame rate is 50fps. The evr shows 60fps. So everything is fine here except for the video stuttering due to my slow machine. Now it becomes a bit more interesting. The screenshot cpu.jpg, which shows SVP without gpu-acceleration, proofes that the gpu-acceleration is generally working. Because without it you can see that even the decoder isn´t able to keep the frame rate at 50 fps. But could you please tell me why the frame rate of the evr goes wild? It oscillates between 40 and 120. The screenshot shows for example 118.66 fps. Shouldn´t it be limited to 60 which is the monitor refresh rate when SVP is configured with "To screen refresh rate"? This strange behaviour results by the way in a number of message boxes popping up (see msgbox.jpg).

Well, here is another, more general question. When I think about the small hd resolution which is broadcasted with 50 frames per seconds, which is fine for video stuff, I wonder how films are handled, whose frames (speeded up from 24 to 25) were duplicated to 50fps. Does SVP first restore the original 24 frames (somewhere on your website I saw ReClock) and then secondly smooth these 24 frames to whatever is configured? Or how does SVP handle this case?

Thanks a lot for your good work, the infos and your patience,  wink

Wolpers

Post's attachments

gpu.jpg 234.15 kb, 239 downloads since 2011-08-22 

without_svp.jpg 227.28 kb, 237 downloads since 2011-08-22 

screenshots:

Post's attachments

cpu.jpg 264.37 kb, 227 downloads since 2011-08-22 

msgbox.jpg, 14.11 kb, 493 x 176
msgbox.jpg 14.11 kb, 555 downloads since 2011-08-22 

wolpers0815
One active user of SVP (gaunt) had the same problem with jerkiness on Athlon, he couldn't find out but bought Core i5. hmm
You can ask him about details.

The simple advises of make SVP work better are:
- to run DPC Latency Checker and look to its results, it is must be below 1000 ns;
- to kill all other processes from task manager when run SVP;
- to clean system / to reinstall windows...

Why your videos from Sat are 50 fps?
Are all frames different or there are frames-duplicates in video?

SVP is not supported frames-duplicates. At least current version.
You should to restore original framereate before using SVP.

About messagebox about wrong (big) framerate. It is left video or not correct DS-Splitter. Change it to another.

I´m the next one who will replace his Athlon...  smile

Regarding 720p50 from satellite: when video stuff is broadcasted (sports, news, shows etc) all of the 50 progressive frames are different. For films that were originally recorded with 23.9.... frames per seconds broadcasting stations do the following. The 23.9... fps material is PAL-speeded up to 25fps and every frame is shown twice to reach the 50 fps for broadcasting.

You say that we should restore original frame rate before using SVP. Without SVP I successfully did this with ReClock. But with SVP the use of ReClock gives strange results because ReClock is placed behind SVP in the DirectShow graph. So I searched around and found Avisynth´s "SelectEvery" (http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/SelectEvery). By virtue of the documentation it could be used to get rid of the frame duplicates, couldn´t it? But then we SVP-users have the problem that the Avisynth-section of ffdshow is blocked by SVP. Could additional instructions like "SelectEvery" be entered somewhere???

In a perfect dream SVP would detect video and film mode within the 720p50 material automatically and would call "SelectEvery" only for film based material.  big_smile

wolpers0815 wrote:

Could additional instructions like "SelectEvery" be entered somewhere???

Yes. You can add it manually.
1. Open video and wait for OSD-message "Smooth playback" (green triangle at SVP-icon in system tray).
2. At SVP-icon menu: Show - AVS-script from last play.
3. In opened script add line with SelectEvery just after ffdShow_source line and add multiplying of 2 to multinum value.

svp_scheduler=true
SetMemoryMax(1024)
svp_cache_reduce=true
svp_flow_lib="C:\Program Files\SVP 3.0.3\Plugins\MVTools2\libflowsse.dll"
multinum=6*2
multiden=5
algo=23
block=false
ml=80
search=5
sadml=100
sadgamma=1
blend=true
dist=4
pel=2
sharp=2
Recalc=0
blkh=16
blkv=16
overlap=0
overlapv=0
wid_den=1
hei_den=1

LoadPlugin ("C:\Program Files\SVP 3.0.3\Plugins\MVTools2\mvtools2.dll")
SetMTMode(3,3)
ffdShow_source()
SelectEvery(2,0)
Assert(width==640 && height==272,"Frame size "+string(width)+"x"+string(height)+" instead of 640x272")
delim=":"
WriteFileStart("C:\Documents and Settings\amankovskiy\Application Data\SVP\Logs\avsFPS.txt", "FramerateNumerator()", "delim", "FramerateDenominator()")
SetMTMode(2)
src=last

4. Close script with saving changes.
5. Rewind in player. Changed script will be applied.

But I can not guarantee smooth and jerky free result because of multi-threaded SVP script don't like changed frame order at input. SelectEvery does change frame order. Changed script produce lags at scene changes moments at video to me at my system.

I think, restoring frame rate to original before use SVP is the best idea wink

wolpers0815 wrote:

SVP would detect video and film mode within the 720p50 material automatically

It will be great, but now it is fantastic. smile

no wounder i can't use GPU-acceleration. stupid OpenCL 1.1

Letter from tayga "can't enable GPU-acceleration"

tayga wrote:

it's greyed out in SVP menu and using Daum PotPlayer with DXVA dosen't work. iv messed with the filters tryed CoreAVC, DXVA, ffdshow raw. not shure if madvr would help. the instructions are simple but not clear to me. iv tryed this through media classic and SVP stays paused probably because it dosen't like coreAVC/DXVA *shrugs*

QuadCore AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 965 3.2Ghz+Nvidia 460 1GB RAM

tayga
You have to delete all parts of AMD-drivers before use nVidia OpenCL.
I use DriverSweeper for this.

If you have AMD SDK installed you must uninstall it.

ya i found out i have to downgrade my nvidia drivers to use OpenCL 1.0 since 1.1 doesn't work witch is weird and i don't wanna do that since i play games so if fixing it a bummer to do i'll just have to reinstall using a lower profile