Topic: Which settings are helpful

Can you guys tell me which settings decrease the artifacts around moving objects or fast scenes. Is it possible to take those artifacts to a minimum amount without losing smoothness ?

Re: Which settings are helpful

cemaydnlar wrote:

Can you guys tell me which settings decrease the artifacts around moving objects or fast scenes. Is it possible to take those artifacts to a minimum amount without losing smoothness ?

You will lose some smoothness if you want to decrease artifacts. Personally I don't mind losing a little bit of smoothness, as long as there's very little artifacts.

What CPU and GPU do you have? Not sure if my settings will work on your PC, but I linked them below.

I have a 4790K @ 4.6Ghz and a GTX 1070.

https://i.imgur.com/xvcZR7K.png

3 (edited by cemaydnlar 21-03-2020 15:12:12)

Blackfyre wrote:
cemaydnlar wrote:

You will lose some smoothness if you want to decrease artifacts. Personally I don't mind losing a little bit of smoothness, as long as there's very little artifacts.

What CPU and GPU do you have? Not sure if my settings will work on your PC, but I linked them below.

I have: Ryzen 5 3600x
Geforce gtx 970 oc edition
and i also have a 144hz monitor. The reason i am telling this is because i had a lot of issue a couple of months ago and we couldn't solve those artifact problems. Now i decided to try it again and maybe learn if there is a way to get the best possible settings for me.

BTW this is the artifacts i get when objects or people start moving https://i.imgur.com/UGTSQe9.jpg
I tried masking with strong nothing changed. I tried 3x or 4x nothing changed. I tried adaptive still nothing changed. I tried everything possible and couldn't get results. Do you also get these artifacts that i get ?

4 (edited by Blackfyre 21-03-2020 15:26:42)

No way, that's too many artifacts. No I do not get anywhere near that. Maybe in a few scenes in a movie, I get a few artifacts, but nowhere near this bad where you can't even tell what you're looking at from how many artifacts there are all over the place, and majority of the movies I don't even notice any artifacts. Are you sure you have the PAID version and everything updated?

What media player are you using?

5 (edited by cemaydnlar 21-03-2020 16:20:58)

Blackfyre wrote:

No way, that's too many artifacts. No I do not get anywhere near that. Maybe in a few scenes in a movie, I get a few artifacts, but nowhere near this bad where you can't even tell what you're looking at from how many artifacts there are all over the place, and majority of the movies I don't even notice any artifacts. Are you sure you have the PAID version and everything updated?

What media player are you using?

I get this kind of artifacts only in fast scenes. Yes i am using the paid version of svp 4 and i am using mpv player. So this is my problem when objects or people start moving i get these artifacts.

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L4
Format settings : CABAC / 3 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames : 3 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 1 h 14 min
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 7 500 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 11.2 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 24.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.151
Stream size : 3.83 GiB (85%)
Writing library : x264 core 148 r2717 0d2410d
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / stitchable=1 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=2 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=0 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=48 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=7500 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.50 / qpmin=6 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=11250 / vbv_bufsize=15000 / nal_hrd=vbr / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Default : Yes
Forced : No

These are the media infos of what i was watching.

I also use max smoothness settings.
Uniform
By blocks
Masking disabled
Half pixel
6px
Grid step disabled
Radius small and fast
Wide search disabled
Small
Repeat fram
Can you please try this settings and tell me if you get similar artifacts like mine ?

cemaydnlar wrote:

Uniform
By blocks
Masking disabled
Half pixel
6px
Grid step disabled
Radius small and fast
Wide search disabled
Small
Repeat fram
Can you please try this settings and tell me if you get similar artifacts like mine ?

No I am not going to try those settings, of course I will get a lot of artifacts with those settings.

Motion vector grid 6px??? why?! Change it to like 28px, 14px is the lowest I would ever go.

Change SVP Shader to standard

YOU have masking disabled?! Of course you're going to get artifacts. Change it to strong masking.

USE my settings from the picture above for SVP. Use TO SCREEN for frame rate conversion. And change your MONITOR refresh rate from nVidia control panel to 50Hz (try it at 50Hz first!).

MPV Configuration, try these settings, my latest, I removed some stuff because your GPU is not powerful enough:

ontop
audio-exclusive=yes

video-sync=display-resample
vulkan-swap-mode=fifo

video-latency-hacks=no
demuxer-thread=yes

vo=gpu
profile=gpu-hq
fbo-format=rgba16hf
gpu-api=vulkan
gpu-context=winvk
hwdec=nvdec
spirv-compiler=shaderc

vd-lavc-dr=yes
vulkan-async-transfer
vulkan-async-compute
vulkan-swap-mode=fifo

volume-max=100

tone-mapping=hable
hdr-compute-peak=yes

dither-depth=N
dither=fruit
dither-size-fruit=2

scale=ewa_lanczossharp
cscale=ewa_lanczossharp
dscale=ewa_lanczossharp
dither-depth=auto
correct-downscaling=yes
sigmoid-upscaling=yes

sws-allow-zimg=no
zimg-fast=no

ytdl-format=best

Blackfyre wrote:
cemaydnlar wrote:

Uniform
By blocks
Masking disabled
Half pixel
6px
Grid step disabled
Radius small and fast
Wide search disabled
Small
Repeat fram

No I am not going to try those settings, of course I will get a lot of artifacts with those settings.

Motion vector grid 6px??? why?! Change it to like 28px, 14px is the lowest I would ever go.

Change SVP Shader to standard

YOU have masking disabled?! Of course you're going to get artifacts. Change it to strong masking.

USE my settings from the picture above for SVP. Use TO SCREEN for frame rate conversion. And change your MONITOR refresh rate from nVidia control panel to 50Hz (try it at 50Hz first!).

MPV Configuration, try these settings, my latest, I removed some stuff because your GPU is not powerful enough:

ontop
audio-exclusive=yes

video-sync=display-resample
vulkan-swap-mode=fifo

video-latency-hacks=no
demuxer-thread=yes

vo=gpu
profile=gpu-hq
fbo-format=rgba16hf
gpu-api=vulkan
gpu-context=winvk
hwdec=nvdec
spirv-compiler=shaderc

vd-lavc-dr=yes
vulkan-async-transfer
vulkan-async-compute
vulkan-swap-mode=fifo

volume-max=100

tone-mapping=hable
hdr-compute-peak=yes

dither-depth=N
dither=fruit
dither-size-fruit=2

scale=ewa_lanczossharp
cscale=ewa_lanczossharp
dscale=ewa_lanczossharp
dither-depth=auto
correct-downscaling=yes
sigmoid-upscaling=yes

sws-allow-zimg=no
zimg-fast=no

ytdl-format=best

I changed my settings as you said and copied those things you wrote to mpv.conf file. Artifacts reduced bu now i don't see any different when it comes to smoothness. It feels like i am watching it without svp.

mpv settings have 0 effects on artifacts

14px grid is optimal for 1080p, start from there

enable x3 fps @ svp (assuming 24fps content, 144 screen)

dlr5668 wrote:

I tried your settings but it produces those artifacts i posted before. My specs shouldn't be that bad i think. Because it says that ryzen 3 is enough for 1080p content right ?

10 (edited by dlr5668 21-03-2020 22:24:50)

cemaydnlar wrote:
dlr5668 wrote:

I tried your settings but it produces those artifacts i posted before. My specs shouldn't be that bad i think. Because it says that ryzen 3 is enough for 1080p content right ?

Download converted scene, close svp and try it @ 144 hz
https://mega.nz/#!Hzp2yYxY!-G0wtJSIQfNJ … dCrNkHQVpQ

You can decrease artifacts further (and smoothness too). Ryzen is 3 is enough

dlr5668 wrote:
cemaydnlar wrote:
dlr5668 wrote:

Download converted scene, close svp and try it @ 144 hz
https://mega.nz/#!Hzp2yYxY!-G0wtJSIQfNJ … dCrNkHQVpQ

You can decrease artifacts further (and smoothness too). Ryzen is 3 is enough

I see artifacts around moving people in this video too.

SVP cant generate data out of thin air. There will always be artifacts. Your brain will adapt to it and enjoy smoothness

dlr5668 wrote:

SVP cant generate data out of thin air. There will always be artifacts. Your brain will adapt to it and enjoy smoothness

Can i get the smoothness that dain app gives with svp 4 ? I am using svp for years now but i neither get that smoothness of dain app nor do i get minimum artifacts as with dain app.

cemaydnlar wrote:
dlr5668 wrote:

Can i get the smoothness that dain app gives with svp 4 ? I am using svp for years now but i neither get that smoothness of dain app nor do i get minimum artifacts as with dain app.

dain is at least 300 times slower than svp

dlr5668 wrote:
cemaydnlar wrote:
dlr5668 wrote:

dain is at least 300 times slower than svp

Yes that's why i bought svp 4. But svp does not feel as dain app feels. I think what motion interpolation must look like is dain app. Correct me if i am wrong.

16 (edited by Moondust76 18-05-2020 16:35:24)

Blackfyre wrote:
cemaydnlar wrote:

I have a less powerful htpc but I use totally different settings but am pretty satisfied with it. I was wondering if I could improve some more. Here are my settings.

Frames interpolation: 1.5m
SVP shader: 23. Complicated
Artifacts masking: Strong
Motion vectors precision: Half pixel
Motion vectors grid: 8 px. Small 0
Decrease grid step: By two with global refinement
Search radius: Large
Wide search: Strongest
Width of top coarse level: Large

I'm watching 1080p material. And I'am having a hard time interpreting what settings are making the interpolation better without really understanding them technically. It's not like the higher the settings the better.

Where do I go wrong with the above settings?

Try these SVP profile settings:
https://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopi … 181#p74181
https://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopi … 776#p72776

Those settings give way more artifacts than I'm used to, but I understand you want max fluidity and are willing to sacrifice more for that. I always settle for much less fluidity and minimized artifacts, only visible in high contrast fast moving scenes. I'll keep my settings for the moment. Planning on switching to an 120Hz OLED with new HTPC and then I'm in a different ballgame working with multiples 5x. Thanks for your input.