1 (edited by BetteBalterZen 30-03-2020 12:37:32)

Topic: Bad performance after format of PC

Hello all

I've been using SVP and MPV together for 4K HDR @48FPS movies for a long time. Last night I decided to format my PC because it kinda needed it.
Today I've installed SVP with all standard optionals + all MPV optionals (please check attached image) and now I cannot play movies 4K HDR @48FPS anymore. It runs smooth for a second or two and then it drops to 8FPS and stays there.
I'm using the exact same settings like before I formatted my PC; 2x times movie framerate (48FPS), slider all the way to "Higher quality" (doesn't matter now if the slider is on quality or performance) and artifact masking at "Low".
So I don't understand why it doesn't work anymore. I'm pretty sure I have installed everything like before.

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks

Edit: Yes, all hardware drivers are installed and I'm on the latest Windows build version, 1909.
Also, I can play my 4K HDR movies via SVP with MPV without any framerate increase (standard 24FPS)

Post's attachments

Udklip.PNG, 140.04 kb, 652 x 783
Udklip.PNG 140.04 kb, 251 downloads since 2020-03-30 

Re: Bad performance after format of PC

10-bit vs. 8-bit (app. settings - add. options - allow output in 10 bit) ?

Hello Chainik!

Thanks for helping

Unfortunately I get the same result with and without 10-bit Vapoursynth; after a few seconds, performance gets really bad and it goes as low as 8FPS.

Oh yeah, I've noticed that it seems like my CPU usage is lower than before. My fans usually ramp up a bit because of usage and heat (fan curve) but it doesn't now.
So I'm wondering if SVP doesn't fully use my CPU like before? Hence why the performance is worse this time.

Again, thanks for helping Chainik!

you'd better send a report just after the movie playback, it will save a lot of additional questions

Yes of course! How do I send a report?

Thanks

I think I have made a report now.

I used "Send problem report...", under "Information" and attached my email to it, to get answers on my email.

I hope this is what you meant Chainik.

Thanks again

probably scaling is the bottleneck for some reason hmm
> 3840x2160 -> scaled -> 2560x1440

turn it off - Video frame -> Keep normal size

Unfortunately that did not work either :-/

what about GPU load? remove the adaptive-sharpen shader

GPU load is between 60-65% and removing adaptive-sharpen (which worked perfectly before I formatted) does not help. Even tried delete everything in my appdata\mpv folder and that did not help either.

Thanks again for helping

you have a strange settings as a target rate, it could be the problem

uncheck the 'force the exact value' in the frc target rate menu and press the "movie x2" button

Nope, that did not help either :-/

out of ideas hmm

try the different decoders:
hwdec=nvdec-copy (or cuda-copy or d3d11va-copy)

None of them worked either... Well, guess I'm done watching 4K HDR with higher FPS from now on. Damn it's annoying.

Oh well, thank you for all help so far, Chainik.

16 (edited by Blackfyre 30-03-2020 21:42:21)

Paste your MPV configuration here, let's have a look at it.

EDIT: Also, what's your CPU and GPU?

17 (edited by BetteBalterZen 31-03-2020 04:20:48)

My MPV configuration being the conf file?

And my setup is:

i7 8700K @4.7 all core OC (stable OC)
MSI 1080 Ti Aero - blowerstyle yes but keeps clock speed at 1800MHz under full load
16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz (dual channel, 2x8GB)

Thank you for trying to help me Blackfyre!

Did you reassemble your PC or change some hardware?
Check your Memory mode. It must be Dual channel mode. Use CPU-Z software.
Check your PCIe speed. It must be x16 (or x8). Use Render test with GPU-Z software.

19 (edited by Blackfyre 31-03-2020 05:38:45)

BetteBalterZen wrote:

My MPV configuration being the conf file?

Yes, what's inside the configuration file, which is located in this folder:

C:\Users\YourUserNameHere\AppData\Roaming\mpv

BetteBalterZen wrote:

my setup is:

i7 8700K @4.7 all core OC (stable OC)
MSI 1080 Ti Aero - blowerstyle yes but keeps clock speed at 1800MHz under full load
16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz (dual channel, 2x8GB)

Thank you for trying to help me Blackfyre!

I have a 4790K @ 4.6Ghz
MSI 1070 Gaming X
16GB 2400Mhz (dual channel 2x8GB).

I run 4K SDR at 60FPS smoothly, and 4K HDR at 50FPS smoothly without a single frame drop or frame delay. So really, it should be SUPER easy for your setup to do it, just as you ran it fine before.

Use to screen framerate instead of 2X for SVP. When you want to watch content at 2x, go to nVidia control panel and change the TV/Monitor to 50Hz. But given your setup, you should be able to run everything at 60FPS, including 4K HDR.

Here is my mpv.conf below:

ontop
priority=high

video-sync=display-resample
vulkan-swap-mode=fifo

osd-level=1

video-latency-hacks=no
demuxer-thread=yes

vo=gpu
profile=gpu-hq
fbo-format=rgba16hf
gpu-api=vulkan
gpu-context=winvk
hwdec=nvdec
spirv-compiler=shaderc

vd-lavc-dr=yes
vulkan-async-transfer
vulkan-async-compute
vulkan-swap-mode=fifo

volume-max=100

tone-mapping=hable
tone-mapping-max-boost=1.0
hdr-compute-peak=yes

dither-depth=N
dither=fruit
dither-size-fruit=2

scale=ewa_lanczossharp
cscale=ewa_lanczossharp
dscale=ewa_lanczossharp
dither-depth=auto
correct-downscaling=yes
sigmoid-upscaling=yes

cache=yes
demuxer-seekable-cache=yes
cache-default=4000000
cache-backbuffer=250000
demuxer-max-bytes=2147483647
demuxer-max-back-bytes=1147483647

sws-allow-zimg=no
zimg-fast=no

deband=yes
deband-iterations=4
deband-threshold=50
deband-range=16
deband-grain=48

ytdl-format=best

profile-desc=cond:get('height', 0) < 1440
dither-size-fruit=6

I removed the Shaders and audio configuration from the code above, but unless you're watching on a big TV, you don't need them.

If you do not have a mpv.conf file. Create a mpv.txt file in notepad, copy and paste the codes above inside it, save it, and then change .txt to .conf and place in the MPV folder I noted in the beginning of this post. Not the MPV directory where the .exe is, but the one where the configuration goes.

For my SVP settings, here they are below:

https://imgur.com/a/pd6xIUq

20 (edited by BetteBalterZen 31-03-2020 06:11:20)

Hello MAG79!

I appreciate all help so far but the problem is gone. I'm almost certain it's a Windows issue, or software issue. I've stopped using NZXT CAM for now since last night, because I didn't really need it, maybe it's CAM that was causing the problem, not sure though since I've tried closing it before but whatever, let me explain:

For a week or two now I've had a performance problem in Forza Horizon 4 (app based game, Windows 10 store). What was happening was one day it was running perfectly(like it has done since release of the game), then the day after the FPS was cut in half. Then the day after that 2nd day, it ran perfectly again and that what how it acted from one day to the other.
Other games, like fx Star Wars Battlefront 2, did run normally (does run a bit better after format of PC, even though FH4 still ran bad). But today, weirdly enough, FH4 runs perfectly (normally) and then I thought "Hmm, lets try and start a 4K HDR movie now since FH4 runs normally" and there it was; the movie runs at stuck 48FPS perfectly smooth and fine like before I formatted my PC.

So it must be a Windows thing or software thing, right? Only thing I've done differently since last night was turning NZXT CAM completely off but I've tried that last week when FH4 began running worse?
I did make a support ticket to the Forza team but haven't heard from them yet - almost a week now - but it's alright; most people are affected because of Covid-19.

And to all of your questions MAG79, no, I haven't touched my hardware and yes I am running in Dual channel mode and my PCI speed is x16 3.0 when using the Render test.

Again, thank you all for trying to help! <3

Hello Blackfyre

Please read my message meant for MAG79. I think I've found my problem. It was NZXT CAM (not entirely sure though)

Thank you

I will try and reboot my PC, without NZXT CAM of course, and see how my performance is - both in FH4 and SVP / MPV.

I'll report back

Thank you all again

After a reboot, my performance in FH4 and while watching movies are bad again - FH4 runs choppy and MPV cannot play 4K HDR at all.

What is happening man... ? :-/

Tried rebooting again - still bad performance :-/

So if NZXT CAM wasn't the problem, it must be a Windows thing right? I'm using the same drivers like before all of this started happening.

If I may take a bit more of you guys' time, what is your opinion on what is happening?

Thank you all