Topic: Need help finding non soapy settings for 24p / 60hz or 50hz

Hello !

My TV only supports 24 / 50 and 60 hz, so i have a hard time finding some nice settings for 24p content.
There is still some judder like 3/2 pulldown visible, while 25p @ 50hz plays wonderfully.

The only way to remove that judder so far is playing in uniform mode but that is far too soapy for my taste.

I'd like to remain that cineastic look but want to support my TV, because it has some serious problems interpolating fast moving scenes.

I also tried to interpolate 24p content to 30 fps at 60hz but that somehow stutters really wierd.

My PC should handle every setting very well, it's a i9 9900k with a 1080 Ti, so..if you can, please recommend me something :-)

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend!

Re: Need help finding non soapy settings for 24p / 60hz or 50hz

Try using ReClock (32bit media players only) or mpv (64bit SVP only) to slightly speed up 24fps videos to 25fps (with optional audio pitch correction) with your display running at 50Hz, and then just use the same settings that you use for 25fps content.

This was something I had to do on an old low-end mobile GPU (NVS 3100m, basically the Quadro equivalent of a GT210) that didn't have enough grunt to do anything greater than 2x interpolation.

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

Try using ReClock (32bit media players only) or mpv (64bit SVP only) to slightly speed up 24fps videos to 25fps (with optional audio pitch correction) with your display running at 50Hz, and then just use the same settings that you use for 25fps content.

This was something I had to do on an old low-end mobile GPU (NVS 3100m, basically the Quadro equivalent of a GT210) that didn't have enough grunt to do anything greater than 2x interpolation.

Thank you for your suggestion, but as far as i know tools like ReClock can't speed up and use passthrough at the same time. Or is there any workaround?

4 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 30-04-2019 18:12:05)

FloppyDisk wrote:

Thank you for your suggestion, but as far as i know tools like ReClock can't speed up and use passthrough at the same time. Or is there any workaround?

Assuming that you're referring to audio bitstreaming, the answer depends on your setup.

Are you using a stereo or a surround sound setup?

If you're using surround, is your PC connected directly to a receiver or is your PC plugged directly into the display?

If plugged directly into the display, are you then using analog, optical, ARC, or eARC to pipe the sound from the TV into a receiver?

5 (edited by FloppyDisk 30-04-2019 18:24:29)

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
FloppyDisk wrote:

Assuming that you're referring to audio bitstreaming, the answer depends on your setup.

Are you using a stereo or a surround sound setup?

If you're using surround, is your PC connected directly to a receiver or is your PC plugged directly into the display?

If plugged directly into the display, are you then using analog, optical, ARC, or eARC to pipe the sound from the TV into a receiver?

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned what my setup is containing and how it is connected.
The PC is connected via HDMI to my Yamaha RX V683, which is plugged into my Sony AF8 / A8F Oled TV.

I've managed to get my TV working @ 48hz.. It is working at 2560x1440 resolution but not at 4k..strange but okay.
Using the program Monitor Profile Switcher i am able to switch 48/50 and 60hz on the fly for all my needs.

Also i am using SVP pro with plex media player integration.

Thank you very much for your input, i think i am good for now.. i was just doing a quick test, not a whole movie but will do this afternoon.

BTW : feel free to recommend some settings for SVP :-) i'm still testing.

>I also tried to interpolate 24p content to 30 fps at 60hz but that somehow stutters really wierd.
Cause SVP drops a half or more of original frames. You can force mode 1

7 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 30-04-2019 21:14:05)

FloppyDisk wrote:

plex media player integration

Oh, I've never used plex...so my original idea might not actually work.

FloppyDisk wrote:

Using the program Monitor Profile Switcher i am able to switch 48/50 and 60hz on the fly for all my needs.

I tend to use MPC-HC, partially because of its automatic resolution changer which can automatically change the refresh rate based on the video frame rate to whatever you've configured it to, therefore the user doesn't have to manually change the display refresh rate.

MadVR also has a similar setting, but it's much more automatic and you cannot specify actual frame rate ranges and are reliant on madVR's own judgment of what it thinks is the best refresh rate for a given frame rate.

Nevertheless, bitstreaming audio is actually not a requirement for lossless since you're connected directly to your receiver, so you should then be able to have your PC decode the audio via WASAPI exclusive into uncompressed multi-channel PCM (I think ReClock can do this?) and output that to your receiver.

From there you should then still be able to use ReClock to slightly speed up the video to 25fps if you'd like to try that out.  However, just keep in mind that doing this will make your audio no longer be lossless due to resampling, especially if you use the optional pitch correction function (which some audio purists find to have unsatisfactory quality anyway).

Alternatively, the Sony A8F does support 1080p and 1440p @ 120Hz if you make a custom resolution, and that would have the benefit of being an exact multiple of both 24fps and 30fps (using exact multiples with SVP not only improves motion resolution but reduces artifacting as well).

Technically you might even be able to do 4k @ 120Hz via a custom resolution if you first set the chroma sub-sampling to 4:2:0 (which 99.99% of all digital video uses anyway, and if you're doing at least 200% DPI upscaling then the difference will be minimal even for computer-generated graphics that are natively 4:4:4), but this would also require you to set a bit depth of 8bit which would make HDR a sub-par experience (if you can even get it working at 8bit).

FloppyDisk wrote:

BTW : feel free to recommend some settings for SVP :-) i'm still testing.

I don't think I would be able to recommend much since I'm somebody that has SVP's interpolation settings absolutely cranked to the point that someone like yourself would probably want to gauge out your own eyes.

I will say though that, in general, you might be able to get away with having nearly everything cranked if you set SVP to an interpolation mode of "2m", but note that this setting is only useful for refresh rates greater than 2x the source frame rate (so ideally 3x at minimum).

8 (edited by FloppyDisk 30-04-2019 22:36:57)

Holy shit... i never thought about 120hz.. you were totally right.
I set up custom resolutions for 1080p, 2k and 4k @ 120hz.. Amazing!

I'm gaming on a 144hz monitor too, this is amazing.

I'll play around with that tomorrow..thank you !

Edit : Well..had to test it right now. 24p movies at 120hz with interpolation 2m, shader 23 and strongest masking is perfect!
Thank you so much Nintendo Maniac 64, you've solved my problem!

Dreamject wrote:

>I also tried to interpolate 24p content to 30 fps at 60hz but that somehow stutters really wierd.
Cause SVP drops a half or more of original frames. You can force mode 1

How do i force mode 1?
Sorry, SVP is quite new to me.

FloppyDisk wrote:

I've managed to get my TV working @ 48hz.. It is working at 2560x1440 resolution but not at 4k..strange but okay.

I am watching with this (SVP 4\script\override.js)

smooth.scene.limits.m1        = 600;
smooth.scene.limits.m2        = 1000;
smooth.scene.limits.scene        = 1400;
smooth.scene.limits.zero        = 350;
smooth.scene.limits.blocks        = 49;

Adaptive, uniform-1m-2m, 21th, weak, 24 px. Its mainly for 3x fps but should be alright for 2x

>How do i force mode 1?
Hmm... You can inspect manuals and become a very good mathematician and write your own script, or just inspect (save copy before) generate.js and change inside

switch(profile.fi_mode)
to
smooth.scene.mode=1

Maybe you could use override.js, but imho it could gives conflicts. In new version devs use
        smooth.scene.limits.m1=0;
        smooth.scene.limits.m2=0;

I do not know what it means and how limits work

12 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 01-05-2019 03:53:04)

FloppyDisk wrote:

Holy shit... i never thought about 120hz.. you were totally right.
I set up custom resolutions for 1080p, 2k and 4k @ 120hz.. Amazing!

The TV should also support the same thing at 100Hz as well via custom resolution which you can also use for 25fps content (HDMI 2.0 might even have enough bandwidth to do 4k 100Hz 4:2:0 with 10bit rather than 8bit, but don't quote me on this).

...or you can cheat and either slow down 25fps content down to 24fps at 120Hz with ReClock or simply leave it as-is to interpolate 25fps directly to 120Hz since, even though it's not an exact multiple, might be a higher enough refresh rate that it doesn't make much of a difference to your eyes.

FloppyDisk wrote:

Edit : Well..had to test it right now. 24p movies at 120hz with interpolation 2m, shader 23 and strongest masking is perfect!
Thank you so much Nintendo Maniac 64, you've solved my problem!

It should also work fine for 30fps videos as well.

FloppyDisk
Don't listen to Dreamject, he's kind of insane big_smile