1 (edited by Grimrypper 04-05-2018 21:33:40)

Topic: Dropped frames ever since upgraded to Windows 10 1803

Hello.
As the title states, I've been getting massive frame drops ever since my windows decided to update to 1803. Everything used to work normally before it but now i can't use SVP since I would get 0-1 present queue in madVR.

What I've tested so far was to use madVR without SVP ( it is working with 0 frames dropped, even when using NGU High Quality , even though i normally use super-xbr 25).
Reinstall Nvidia driver ( latest driver would make SVP to not find the dedicated GPU in SVP, but an older version, such as 391 would make it discoverable again ).
Tried to use SVP with no GPU acceleration, and to reset its settings but still got frame drops, even though sometimes it would take up to a minute for them to drop to 1.
Reinstall SVP and all of its components.

Normally I would get fps drops since MPC wouldn't use my DGPU but I would use nvidia inspector to force MPC to use dedicated GPU, but with this update going to Settings/System/Display/Graphics Settings and choosing to use the High Performance GPU for MPC seems to do the same thing.

I would revert to last windows update, but last time I tried it, it broke my windows.
BTW my CPU is Intel I7 6700 HQ and my DGPU is GTX 970M.

Looking for advices as to what else should I try...

Post's attachments

FPS Drops.PNG, 379.09 kb, 353 x 826
FPS Drops.PNG 379.09 kb, 418 downloads since 2018-05-04 

Missing DGPU.PNG, 47.62 kb, 463 x 252
Missing DGPU.PNG 47.62 kb, 422 downloads since 2018-05-04 

SVP Settings.PNG, 14.62 kb, 492 x 359
SVP Settings.PNG 14.62 kb, 410 downloads since 2018-05-04 

Re: Dropped frames ever since upgraded to Windows 10 1803

> Looking for advices as to what else should I try...

obvious suggestion - lower madVR settings

Tried using Bicubic 50 AR but still getting frame drops but I've noticed something in task manager, before the windows update my DGPU usage with SVP would go up to 70-80% but now it barely goes to 40% and IGPU goes to 60% and 100% CPU.
Seems like something is limiting the DGPU usage.

Check PCI-E speed. It must be x16. Perhaps it x1 in your case for some reason.
You can do it with GPU-Z. Use Measure Bus Interface speed button.

It seems alright, PCIe x16 3.0 @ 16 3.0 and the Render Test is capable of using the DGPU @ 96%.
Tried to use MPC with EVR ( custom preset ) and normal EVR rather than madVR but still got frame drops.
I will look if, even though i uninstalled everything again, some registry remained. I have a feeling it is an issue with Vapoursynth or  Avisynth+.

disable IGPU ?

Tried to disable the IGPU, but because my display is connected to the laptop with the IGPU, I can't even open MPC without it.

It seems that I've found a fix to my problem after deleting the ffdshow registry, resetting the TPM from Bios and using D3D9 in MadVR.
It seems that now I can't use MadVR D3D11 with SVP without frame drops but with D3D9 it seems to drop 1 frame about every minute or so which is fine, even though 10 bit output won't be possible.

I don't think this's about ffdshow settings... it's all about GPU settings / drivers