Topic: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

Hi all,

*PS. my apologies for asking a question that has probably been asked elsewhere, and for my deplorable search skills, preventing me from finding the thread*

I have GPU acceleration enabled in SVP control panel and "LAV Video filters.exe", but there's still low usage of my gpu. OTOH, my cpu shows high usage (~60+%) on average.

I would love for SVP to use my GPU (GTX 980Ti btw) more, a lot more.

I also wanted to know which LAV video settings so choose. I installed K-Lite Codec pack which automatically installed LAV Video. Then,
after watching a SVP setup video on Youtube, I followed the steps in said video, which involved setting the
"Hardware Decoder to use:"   to DXVA (copy-back) (see the rest of the settings in the image below.) Furthermore,
would someone please tell me which "Software Deinterlacing" to use if it is at all beneficial to the *smooth video experience*.

I'm loving this SVP, glorious indeed.

Specs are:
GTX 980Ti (MSI)
i7 2600K @ 4.2 GHz
8GB RAM (@ ~2600MHz)

Post's attachments

LAV Video settings.PNG, 65 kb, 659 x 586
LAV Video settings.PNG 65 kb, 264 downloads since 2017-06-10 

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

You cant, try madvr scaling options

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

dlr5668 wrote:

You cant, try madvr scaling options

Okay thank you for that start, though I must admit that i have no idea where and how to access madvr scaling options.
Would you please be so kind as to pointing me in the right direction good sir?

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

You shall force SVP developers to implement it.

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

nemoW wrote:

How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

You shall force SVP developers to implement it.

lol, why ? 1/2 ryzen is enough for 4k

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

dlr5668 wrote:

lol, why ? 1/2 ryzen is enough for 4k

1. It was just a joke. I realize that it will not happen until unknown godlike hero will port MVTools to GPU.
2. GPU is times more efficient for image processing.
3. There is no notebooks with Ryzen.

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

nemoW wrote:

How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

You shall force SVP developers to implement it.

Huehuehue, I guess i should start sending them stern requests via email?

8 (edited by brucethemoose 11-06-2017 18:06:45)

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

You shouldn't watch those old SVP setup videos, BTW.

The SVP installer does everything for you these days. All K-Lite is going to do is mess something up.


Anyway, if you checked MadVR in the SVP installer, it'll have a tray icon whenever a video is playing. That gives you access to a whole bunch of GPU intensive settings. If it doesn't show up, then like I said, something is messed up tongue


If you have a really noisy video and a big GPU, you can also do GPU denoising in real time with vaporsynth/mpc-qt. Thats harder to setup though.

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

brucethemoose wrote:

You shouldn't watch those old SVP setup videos, BTW.

The SVP installer does everything for you these days. All K-Lite is going to do is mess something up.


Anyway, if you checked MadVR in the SVP installer, it'll have a tray icon whenever a video is playing. That gives you access to a whole bunch of GPU intensive settings. If it doesn't show up, then like I said, something is messed up tongue


If you have a really noisy video and a big GPU, you can also do GPU denoising in real time with vaporsynth/mpc-qt. Thats harder to setup though.

Thank you, i'll re-install SVP, play a movie, and watch for the MadVR tray icon.
If i still have no luck with that then i'll be sure to let you know - if you don't mind.
But until then, cheers!

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

you don't need to reinstall it
you can install madVR via Utilities -> Additional programs and features

11 (edited by JudeTheDude 11-06-2017 20:10:49)

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

brucethemoose wrote:

You shouldn't watch those old SVP setup videos, BTW.

The SVP installer does everything for you these days. All K-Lite is going to do is mess something up.


Anyway, if you checked MadVR in the SVP installer, it'll have a tray icon whenever a video is playing. That gives you access to a whole bunch of GPU intensive settings. If it doesn't show up, then like I said, something is messed up tongue


If you have a really noisy video and a big GPU, you can also do GPU denoising in real time with vaporsynth/mpc-qt. Thats harder to setup though.

I'm back after trying what you said.
First off, while i'm playing the movie (with PotPlayer), there's this little "ffdshow video decoder" icon that comes up in the system tray.
So i doubled clicked on that, and up came this window. Is this it?

Post's attachments

ffd Maybe MadVR.PNG, 53.82 kb, 568 x 479
ffd Maybe MadVR.PNG 53.82 kb, 356 downloads since 2017-06-11 

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

Chainik wrote:

you don't need to reinstall it
you can install madVR via Utilities -> Additional programs and features

Hi Chainik,
So thank you for the response. Though, i'm still unsure about where to find "Additional programs and features"
Do I find it as I:
a) Right-click on the SVP tray icon -> Utilities -> Additional programs and features...?
b) If so, then how do i access MadVR settings after installing MadVR?

Sorry for the plethora of questions, and thank you anyways.

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

- choose madVR as a video renderer in MPC-HC's options
- find the icon in system tray OR via right-click in MPC-HC window -> Filters menu

14 (edited by JudeTheDude 12-06-2017 08:46:01)

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

Chainik wrote:

- choose madVR as a video renderer in MPC-HC's options
- find the icon in system tray OR via right-click in MPC-HC window -> Filters menu

Hi Chainik,
Okay so i added madVR filter (see the snip below). Now which settings do I tweak?
Thank you again.

Post's attachments

Added madVR as External.PNG, 39.44 kb, 650 x 503
Added madVR as External.PNG 39.44 kb, 312 downloads since 2017-06-12 

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

not "external filters" section but
playback -> output -> video renderer

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

Chainik wrote:

not "external filters" section but
playback -> output -> video renderer

Hey Chainik,
Thank you for that.
So i went to the place and did this (see below). Is that all?
Will madVR use as much gpu horsepower as is available to it?
Do I have to go tweak something elsewhere?
I feel like we're almost there?

Post's attachments

Is this it.PNG, 46.44 kb, 650 x 503
Is this it.PNG 46.44 kb, 252 downloads since 2017-06-12 

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

https://wiki.mikejung.biz/MadVR#MadVR_S … _970.2F980

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

Thank you Chainik for all the help, it is much appreciated.
Cheers!

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

Hey Chainik,
Just answer me this one more question and i'll leave you alone okay?
Does madVR and SVP coalesce without any hiccups?
Or do i have to uninstall SVP for madVR to work properly?
Thanks.

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

> Does madVR and SVP coalesce without any hiccups?

yep

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

Chainik wrote:

> Does madVR and SVP coalesce without any hiccups?

yep

Thank you Chainik, you're the best!

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

Chainik wrote:

> Does madVR and SVP coalesce without any hiccups?

yep

Hi Chainik,
So I've went and done everything as explained in the link you posted. But now there's NO
smoothing at all. Before the whole madVR business SVP was working okay, but now there's
no glory to be seen at all? Maybe i've got to press an "ON" button somewhere? Please help?

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

Hmmm, you sure SVP is open?



If you can't get it working, I would uninstall everything (including K-lite, LAV, MPC, MadVR, ReClock, and whatever else it installed) in the control panel programs menu. If it asks, let it clear all the settings.

Then install SVP. Check ReClock and MadVR when installing. That should get everything configured right, with the default settings.

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

brucethemoose wrote:

Hmmm, you sure SVP is open?



If you can't get it working, I would uninstall everything (including K-lite, LAV, MPC, MadVR, ReClock, and whatever else it installed) in the control panel programs menu. If it asks, let it clear all the settings.

Then install SVP. Check ReClock and MadVR when installing. That should get everything configured right, with the default settings.

Hey there BrucetheMoose,
Yes SVP is open, and i'll just uninstall everything, becuase, i believe in fresh starts.
I'll follow your lead instructions, but is there anything you'd like to add to that before i start?
Thanks!

25 (edited by brucethemoose 15-06-2017 16:23:08)

Re: How can i force SVP to use my GPU more?

JudeTheDude wrote:
brucethemoose wrote:

Hmmm, you sure SVP is open?



If you can't get it working, I would uninstall everything (including K-lite, LAV, MPC, MadVR, ReClock, and whatever else it installed) in the control panel programs menu. If it asks, let it clear all the settings.

Then install SVP. Check ReClock and MadVR when installing. That should get everything configured right, with the default settings.

Hey there BrucetheMoose,
Yes SVP is open, and i'll just uninstall everything, becuase, i believe in fresh starts.
I'll follow your lead instructions, but is there anything you'd like to add to that before i start?
Thanks!

Nah, that's it. Just make sure everything is uninstalled (sort by date in the control panel menu, everything close to K-Lite and SVP means it was probably installed by one of them and should be uninstalled).

Im assuming you have the free version. If you have SVP Pro, you should check MPV instead of MadVR/ReClock.