Topic: Regarding the "competitor" of this, AMD Fluid Motion used by Bluesky

You might have heard in the past that AMD GPUs have nowadays a built-in "SVP" (utilized on Windows with the BlueskyFRC plugin).

However, I think it's important to point out that the AMD driver only supports 24FPS(x5/2) and 30FPS(x2) videos.

That means 25FPS videos do not work with it and it might only go up to 60FPS.

Re: Regarding the "competitor" of this, AMD Fluid Motion used by Bluesky

Sounds like my 60Hz Samsung TV which can only handle 24FPS and 30FPS videos. 25FPS videos are unwatchable without SVP.

3 (edited by tobindax 23-01-2017 16:51:31)

What I will admit is that I find it more "crisp" in playback in some cases. But in other cases SVP seems better and smoother. But the severe limitation of 25FPS sources not working and the max 60FPS at the moment make it at best a partial alternative, not a replacement.

You're not going to get any more then 60fps no matter whet the product if you're using a computer.
60 fps is the max amount that HDMI can handle, anything higher then that is done inside the display or the computer, but in the end the HDMI connection is limited to 60fps.

Jeff R 1 wrote:

You're not going to get any more then 60fps no matter whet the product if you're using a computer.
60 fps is the max amount that HDMI can handle, anything higher then that is done inside the display or the computer, but in the end the HDMI connection is limited to 60fps.

If you know what you're doing, you are probably using DisplayPort anyway.

Jeff R 1 wrote:

That is not true. I routinely overclock common monitors to 76Hz and the testing tools report no artifacts and the picture is clearly smoother. Maybe you confuse it with monitors or graphics cards that can't go above 60Hz or older HDMI specifications?

7 (edited by tobindax 23-01-2017 19:49:34)

I just found out HDMI version 1.4 supports 1080p on 120Hz. Maybe that's your issue. On version 2.0 (is that even out?) it can even do 4K 60Hz.

8 (edited by tobindax 23-01-2017 20:06:18)

To be more precise, HDMI version 1.4 has the bandwidth to do 1080p 120hz so supporting devices can easily do higher than 60hz a lot of the time, but since it may not explicitly demand it as a spec (beyond demanding the bandwidth) some people report it can't do it (which isn't true in many cases) and hence the controversy.

tobindax wrote:

You might have heard in the past that AMD GPUs have nowadays a built-in "SVP" (utilized on Windows with the BlueskyFRC plugin).

However, I think it's important to point out that the AMD driver only supports 24FPS(x5/2) and 30FPS(x2) videos.

That means 25FPS videos do not work with it and it might only go up to 60FPS.

Sadly BS_FRC does not work with the only version of Windows worth working with: Windows 7 wink

(unless you're using a Intel iGPU o_0)

Yet a "real" implementation of AMD's FluidMotion interpolation technology, as seen in PowerDVD 14, works perfectly fine under Windows 7.