Topic: Ok, so apparently 4k movies is impossible to play with SVP

Apparently svp only uses 30% of my gpu, but 100% of my cpu with heavy stutter with eventually mpc crashing.

2 (edited by Duckers 09-01-2017 21:05:18)

Re: Ok, so apparently 4k movies is impossible to play with SVP

Duckers wrote:

Apparently svp only uses 30% of my gpu, but 100% of my cpu with heavy stutter with eventually mpc crashing.

Specs:

i7-4790k
gtx 1080 OC'd to 2Ghz
32GB ram

Damnit, clicked quote instead of edit..

From my own tests with AMD FX-8310 wink the best option is MPC-HC 64-bit

plus some obvious suggestions:
- GPU video decoding is a must
- leave SVP settings on "automatic"
- madVR is on your own, start with EVR

Chainik wrote:

Gpu decoding is on in mpc hc
Just did
Mad vr is on "my own"? And what's EVR?

Duckers wrote:
Chainik wrote:

Gpu decoding is on in mpc hc
Just did
Mad vr is on "my own"?

And is this how it's gonna be?

http://puu.sh/th1WT/b6455795e1.png

6 (edited by Blackfyre 10-01-2017 10:17:15)

What SVP Settings are you using? I fixed the performance issues I was having with 4K videos already by using MPC x64 and changing the settings below.

I'm running a GTX 1070 and a 4790K @ 4.6Ghz on a Sony X800D 4K HDR TV.

First of all, you want to right click SVP and go to "Video Frame" and select "Keep Normal Size".

http://i.imgur.com/9CDlp0N.png

Second of all, I use the settings below for 4K videos, you don't need to have 3X Movie Frame Rate selected, just choose to SCREEN. The most important aspect, is to keep "Decrease Grid Step" on DISABLED.

http://i.imgur.com/36Cg9nm.png

I posted as links instead of images because on normal 1080p screens those images would take a lot of space for most people.

EDIT - MUST DO THESE:

I forgot, in Madvr Settings go to Devices (Left Menu) --> Choose your TV/Monitor --> Properties --> Under 3D Format, choose None.

Go to Rendering (Left Menu) --> Stereo 3D --> Disable ALL.

Go to Processing (Left Menu) --> Artifact Removal --> Disable BOTH.

Go to Scaling Algorithms (Left Menu) --> Image Downscaling --> Choose Lanczos (3 Taps).
--------------------------------------------- > Chroma Upscaling --> Jinc (Tick enable ONLY activate anti-ringing filter).
--------------------------------------------- > Image Upscaling --> Jinc (Tick enable BOTH activate anti-ringing filter & scale in sigmoidal light).

Blackfyre wrote:

What SVP Settings are you using? I fixed the performance issues I was having with 4K videos already by using MPC x64 and changing the settings below.

First of all, you want to right click SVP and go to "Video Frame" and select "Keep Normal Size".

Second of all, I use the settings below for 4K videos, you don't need to have 3X Movie Frame Rate selected, just choose to SCREEN. The most important aspect, is to keep "Decrease Grid Step" on DISABLED.

I posted as links instead of images because on normal 1080p screens those images would take a lot of space for most people.

EDIT - MUST DO THESE:

I forgot, in Madvr Settings go to Devices (Left Menu) --> Choose your TV/Monitor --> Properties --> Under 3D Format, choose None.

Go to Scaling Algorithms (Left Menu) --> Image Downscaling --> Choose Lanczos (3 Taps).
--------------------------------------------- > Chroma Upscaling --> Jinc (Tick enable ONLY activate anti-ringing filter).
--------------------------------------------- > Image Upscaling --> Jinc (Tick enable BOTH activate anti-ringing filter & scale in sigmoidal light).

These are the settings i normally use

http://puu.sh/thurp/f9520070e7.png

Was already on normal size.

WEll, if i even can manage to have a fluid 2x movie rate, that would work for me in 4k.

Decrease grid step was on disabled by default

Where do i find madVR settings?

> These are the settings i normally use

too heavy
"half pixel" precision is not needed for 4k
just press the "automatic" button already big_smile

even my laptop with i7-6820HQ @3.0 GHz with AMD R7 M370 graphics can handle it at 60% CPU load
(MPC-HC 64-bit, EVR-CP renderer, hw video decoder is active)

Chainik wrote:

> These are the settings i normally use

too heavy
"half pixel" precision is not needed for 4k
just press the "automatic" button already big_smile

even my laptop with i7-6820HQ @3.0 GHz with AMD R7 M370 graphics can handle it at 60% CPU load
(MPC-HC 64-bit, EVR-CP renderer, hw video decoder is active)

There's no "automatic" button. Or do you basically mean choose the original automatic? BEcause that gives the same result.

And is that with a 4k movie? or 1080p?`CAuse it's 4k that i want to interpolate.

> And is that with a 4k movie?

sure

Chainik wrote:

> And is that with a 4k movie?

sure

As in yes? CAuse i got a 4k movie to test with, and with my settings, even mpc hc crashes after a while of stuttering.

12 (edited by dlr5668 10-01-2017 16:31:25)

MPC-HC 64-bit and 32 gb ram crashing ?

By the way. Chainik knows I just got my 4K HDR TV recently. Just a note. Playing 4K movies down-scaled to a 1080p screen is completely DIFFERENT to playing it natively on a 4K Screen. The performance requirements became much higher when I got the 4K TV. So those settings I posted above were very easy to do before on my 1080p TV with 4K movies, now however, those settings are the best I can achieve.

Duckers:

Disabling both "Artifact Removal" settings in Madvr is a must by the way (just follow the instruction on the post above, see if doing those settings helps). If you're using Madvr in MPC, run any movie, you should see a new orange icon pop up in the bottom right corner of the screen (a tray icon). Right click on it and choose "Edit Madvr Settings".

Blackfyre wrote:

EDIT - MUST DO THESE:

Hi Blackfire, I tried the settings that you submit and i help me to reproduce 4k content, a dropped frame here and there but that´s normal and I wondering where to push a little more to increase quality.
what settings do you use for 4k on svp?
I got a I73770k and a Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 , MPCHC , Madvr 0.91.11, lav filters 0.70.10 and SVP 4.1.0.114. on a tv Lg UF8500
I totally agreed about of the big difference of reproduce natively 4k.