Re: A Better/Faster/Smoother Solution to MPC+Madvr & PotPlayer

Chainik wrote:

Jeff R 1
And your link Chainik, I can't see any differences in those screen shots at all

exactly  big_smile

There is no real benefit to using NNEDI3 for Chroma Upscaling since I can barely notice a difference in quality, yet NNEDI3 is about 5 times more expensive than just sticking with the madvr default, bicubic.

5 times more expensive ! _ that'll give me an excuse now to buy the new NVIDIA TitanX !   big_smile

102 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 25-03-2015 02:11:57)

Jeff R 1 wrote:

that'll give me an excuse now to buy the new NVIDIA TitanX !   big_smile

...you realize its heat output and power consumption is on level with the 290/x, right?

103 (edited by Mystery 25-03-2015 04:02:09)

Here's one thing I'm thinking about. When playing 29.97 videos with 2:1 ratio, it alternates clear frames with blurry frames which doesn't give the smoothest effect. It's kind of flickery.

If, indeed, this method generates tons of extra frames and then blends them together, at the very least, it avoids this flickering effect. As for the quality of details, that's a more complex question.

104 (edited by Jeff R 1 25-03-2015 04:18:44)

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
Jeff R 1 wrote:

that'll give me an excuse now to buy the new NVIDIA TitanX !   big_smile

...you realize its heat output and power consumption is on level with the 290/x, right?

I'm just kidding, my 980 is overkill for my needs, plus I have better things to spend upwards of 1300.00$ on...  hmm

105 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 13-05-2015 02:12:29)

Jeff R 1 wrote:

I'm just kidding, my 980 is overkill for my needs, plus I have better things to spend upwards of 1300.00$ on...  hmm

Two 390x water-cooled editions in crossfire, right?

...or maybe a good deal on an LG OLED TV? (the 1080p models anyway(

I'm also thinking that if you generate over twice as many frames as you need, each frame will be generated with slightly different parameters and will generate artifacts differently on each frame. When blending 2 or 3 frames together, if a frame has artifacts in it, they can be discarded to display only the data from frames with less artifacts. There may be a more intelligent way to merge frames than blending. That is, if that's really what's happening.

107 (edited by biff 25-03-2015 07:29:17)

After more experimenting, when running SVP, I'm back to using Potplayer's EVR Custom Present and VMR9/EVR scaler "internal Shader(2 PASS) Lanczos." Recent LAV nightlies have really made an impact on performance on my rig and now, using the above settings, I'm getting about the same (and sometimes better) picture quality as Madvr and MPDN but with CPU usage about 40% lower.

I will make some tests and try to compare, had a very difficult scene in mind from guardians of the galaxy, where they fight over the orb on the crowded planet with lots of artifacts. lets see. Have a new geforce 960 on board with latest generation i7-chip, maybe this tools can get some benefit out of it when calculating.

So I finally gave up on MPC+madVR not dropping at least 1 frame per second now that I know it's not a hw limitation. I'm using the same settings as I do in MPC+madVR but when I load ffdshow raw video filter I get the error message "failed to connect filter to graph." Your guide is a little outdated and I'm using the x64 version of everything so is the problem that MPDN doesn't agree with ffdshow x64 or Avisynth+ or just SVP4? I have Avisynth 2.6 and I've tried disabling Avisynth in ffdshow raw video filter and running with SVP4 not on with the same error still.

Ironclad wrote:

So I finally gave up on MPC+madVR not dropping at least 1 frame per second now that I know it's not a hw limitation. I'm using the same settings as I do in MPC+madVR but when I load ffdshow raw video filter I get the error message "failed to connect filter to graph." Your guide is a little outdated and I'm using the x64 version of everything so is the problem that MPDN doesn't agree with ffdshow x64 or Avisynth+ or just SVP4? I have Avisynth 2.6 and I've tried disabling Avisynth in ffdshow raw video filter and running with SVP4 not on with the same error still.

This is a very old thread. MPC & Madvr work perfectly with SVP 4 for me. Sorry I cannot help. Maybe visit the official MPDN thread and ask around, someone might be able to help you set things up:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=171120