Topic: How Do I Get The Best Settings

Hi, just bought SVP 4 Pro in the hope of getting it to play smoother than the free version. Where should I start to figure out what settings I should chose and what I should pick? Right now I copied these settings but some scenes the picture is squiggly https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Watching_anime Any help would be nice. Thanks!

Re: How Do I Get The Best Settings

Try enabling artifact masking.

Also, what video player are you using? MPC with MadVR?

3 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 04-09-2016 19:25:13)

I find that "artifact masking" is actually worse for anime.

Try the "Complicated" shader.  I believe the only reason that the guide doesn't recommend it is because it's quite a bit more demanding, but nowadays with higher-end PCs it should be less of an issue.

Also you can minimize artifacts and improve smoothness by setting your display refresh rate to an exact multiple of the source video (presumably 24fps), such as 48Hz or 72Hz - more info.

4 (edited by ArcticWolf_11 04-09-2016 20:08:01)

I'm using MPC and not MadVR, but if it will help, I will try it. Ill try to set it to an exact multiple then on my 144hz monitor and try complicated shaders, my i7 can handle it. Will report back with the results

-Edit: Nope not much of a change sad also is it possible to get SVP to play at an exact 144 fps? As it says its playing at 143.856.

5 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 04-09-2016 22:30:28)

ArcticWolf_11 wrote:

I'm using MPC and not MadVR, but if it will help, I will try it. Ill try to set it to an exact multiple then on my 144hz monitor and try complicated shaders, my i7 can handle it. Will report back with the results

-Edit: Nope not much of a change sad

What happens if you manually specify "Movie x3"?  Is it better, worse, or no difference? (I don't think it'll make any real difference, but I want to make sure before suggesting anything else).

Also, could you mention what your exact CPU model is?  (just saying "i7" doesn't really tell me much)

ArcticWolf_11 wrote:

also is it possible to get SVP to play at an exact 144 fps? As it says its playing at 143.856.

There are 4 solutions to this.

1. Use ReClock + MPC-HC 32bit
2. Use mpv and configure it accordingly
3. Make a custom resolution with a refresh rate of 143.856Hz (more info)
4. Use a monitor and GPU that supports either Adaptive Sync/FreeSync or G-sync

Technically there's a 5th solution in that you can manually speed up the audio waveform from 48000Hz to 48048Hz and the video frame rate from 23.976fps to 24.000fps, but unless you know how to already do this sort of thing then I seriously don't recommend trying to do it this way.

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
ArcticWolf_11 wrote:

-Edit: Nope not much of a change sad

What happens if you manually specify "Movie x3"?  Is it better, worse, or no difference? (I don't think it'll make any real difference, but I want to make sure before suggesting anything else).

Also, could you mention what your exact CPU model is?  (just saying "i7" doesn't really tell me much)

ArcticWolf_11 wrote:

also is it possible to get SVP to play at an exact 144 fps? As it says its playing at 143.856.

There are 4 solutions to this.

1. Use ReClock + MPC-HC 32bit
2. Use mpv and configure it accordingly
3. Make a custom resolution with a refresh rate of 143.856Hz (more info)
4. Use a monitor and GPU that supports either Adaptive Sync/FreeSync or G-sync

Technically there's a 5th solution in that you can manually speed up the audio waveform from 48000Hz to 48048Hz and the video frame rate from 23.976fps to 24.000fps, but unless you know how to already do this sort of thing then I seriously don't recommend trying to do it this way.

Thanks, I have an i7 4790k 5Ghz, 32gb ram, and a GTX 1080. Movie x2, x2 1/2, 3 and so on does not show any difference. I have just installed MadVR and ReClock and it got choppier and images when they move are squiggly, left everything on default settings. I do have a G-Sync monitor but how would I get it to work with MPC?

7 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 05-09-2016 07:03:52)

ArcticWolf_11 wrote:

I have just installed MadVR and ReClock and it got choppier

This is likely madVR's fault as it can be quite the performance hog.  Protip: set SVP and LAVfilters to use your integrated Intel GPU while madVR uses your discrete GPU.

The only thing is that doing more than 4x interpolation may be too intensive for the Intel GPU, but as you said there's minimal difference between 3x and 6x unless you're using the 2m interpolation mode.

ArcticWolf_11 wrote:

I do have a G-Sync monitor but how would I get it to work with MPC?

No idea about madVR, but when using "Enhanced video renderer (custom presenter)" all you have to do is enable "D3D Fullscreen" and G-sync should "just work".

With madVR, enabling "Use Direct3D 11 for presentation" may make G-sync work, but no guarantees.

If you can get G-sync working with MPC-HC, then there's honestly no point for you to use ReClock and you might as well uninstall it; you will also have no need to deal with custom resolutions nor MPC-HC's automatic resolution changer.

Once you've gotten the above all squared away, maybe then we can investigate your interpolation artifact woes.  Beware though, I'm going to bed soon so you'll likely not get any reply from me for at least 10 hours.

I recently posted this to someone else, try these settings and let me know what you think.

I use MPC + Madvr

I have the PRO version of SVP 4 and similar hardware to yours. 4790K @ 4.7Ghz & an MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X

I'm using a 1080p 43" Sony W800C TV as a monitor & I use it for both entertainment & gaming.

Here's my settings for perfect movie/series/anime viewing (literally for everything I use these settings), with these settings ARTIFACTS are minimal (barely noticeable in comparison to default settings). My Madvr settings are custom too, if you're interested I could share them as well. But you need SVP 4 Pro for you to be able to use these settings. The MSI Afterburner settings are there not because you should copy them, you shouldn't, every videocard overclocks differently, but it's just to confirm that I indeed do have a GTX 1070.

http://i.imgur.com/5f0fQGN.png

Blackfyre wrote:

I recently posted this to someone else, try these settings and let me know what you think.

I use MPC + Madvr

I have the PRO version of SVP 4 and similar hardware to yours. 4790K @ 4.7Ghz & an MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X

I'm using a 1080p 43" Sony W800C TV as a monitor & I use it for both entertainment & gaming.

Here's my settings for perfect movie/series/anime viewing (literally for everything I use these settings), with these settings ARTIFACTS are minimal (barely noticeable in comparison to default settings). My Madvr settings are custom too, if you're interested I could share them as well. But you need SVP 4 Pro for you to be able to use these settings. The MSI Afterburner settings are there not because you should copy them, you shouldn't, every videocard overclocks differently, but it's just to confirm that I indeed do have a GTX 1070.

http://i.imgur.com/5f0fQGN.png

Thanks, those settings helped a little, I still see squiggly lines sometimes and a little bit of artifacting but otherwise it looks a little better now. Would you or anyone know if there is a full manual of the settings and what they do so I can try to figure out what settings works best for me to get maximum smoothness? Also is there a guide/manual on MPC and MadVR so I know what the different settings do?

This is a bit off topic (or not) but your source video also heavily impacts interpolation artifacts.
Most of the time better copies of anime (like BDs) with high bitrate or lower CRF would produce less artifacts on anime.

11 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 05-09-2016 19:38:25)

These are very similar to the settings that I use for anime-like content, the only difference is that I use shader @ complicated, artifact masking @ disabled, and processing of scene changes @ repeat frame; I personally feel this gives fewer artifacts, but your mileage may vary.

ArcticWolf_11 wrote:

Thanks, those settings helped a little, I still see squiggly lines sometimes and a little bit of artifacting but otherwise it looks a little better now. Would you or anyone know if there is a full manual of the settings and what they do so I can try to figure out what settings works best for me to get maximum smoothness? Also is there a guide/manual on MPC and MadVR so I know what the different settings do?

Unfortunately there aren't really any guides that describe the end-result of each setting, and I've no clue about guides for MPC-HC and madVR (though with your G-sync monitor there's little benefit from changing MPC-HC's settings anyway).

Regarding SVP, with such a high-end PC you really should only need to fiddle with the SVP shader and motion vectors grid settings.

I use SVP shader @ complicated for everything except videos that result in squigglies due to quickly-moving thin lines (for those videos I use SVP shader @ standard); an example video that causes this phenomenon would be the rain around 5 minutes in this video: https://youtu.be/tcWJFQsSKT8

I also normally just set Motion vectors grid to the maximum value possible that my PC can handle, but using particularly small values on high-res videos (like 8 px. on a 1080p video) may give displeasing artifacts.

Other than that, there are only 3 other settings your really should worry about (everything else can just be "maxed out" unless you're having performance issues), but these settings do not directly effect the motion interpolation - they are Artifact masking, Decrease grid step, and Processing of scene changes.

Processing of scene changes - when there is a large difference between two source video frames (such as a scene transition or a large object moving extremely fast across the screen), SVP will not even bother generating an interpolated frame and will instead repeat frame or blend adjacent frames.  I personally use "repeat" for anime-like content (particularly because characters are typically only animated at 12fps) but use "blend" for everything else.

Artifact masking takes the blended frame that would be the result of blend adjacent frames (though in this case it applies to every interpolated frame) and overlays it on top of the interpolated frame; the greater the setting, the more visible the blended frame is while the less visible the interpolated frame is.  I personally always leave this at disabled unless I'm watching cinematic-like content with someone that's not used to high frame rate video.

Decrease grid step can reduce interpolation artifacts, though I set it only to local refinement unless I have performance to spare because I find there to be little to no difference between "local" and global refinement yet "global" takes way more CPU-grunt than the "local".

On weaker PCs (5+ year old dual cores) and/or extremely high resolution videos (4k?), you may need to also fiddle with the motion vectors precision setting as this has a big effect on both CPU utilization and RAM consumption.  Also Frames interpolation mode @ 1m can have a big performance impact on particularly low-end PCs when doing anything other than "Movie x2" interpolation, and Frames interpolation mode @ 1.5m or even 2m can be good if you're more OCD about interpolation artifacts and don't mind the reduction in smoothness.

Currently the following settings are best for me,

super_params="{pel:1,scale:{up:0},gpu:1,full:true}"
analyse_params="{block:{w:32,h:32},main:{search:{coarse:{distance:-12,bad:{sad:2000}},distance:-8},levels:3},refine:[{search:{distance:-6}},{search:{distance:-4}}]}"
smoothfps_params="{rate:{num:5,den:2},algo:23,mask:{cover:80},scene:{mode:0}}"

Compare with other settings,
http://imgur.com/a/mjDjs

kevingwn wrote:

analyse_params="{block:{w:32,h:32},main:{search:{coarse:{distance:-12,bad:{sad:2000}},distance:-8},levels:3},refine:[{search:{distance:-6}},{search:{distance:-4}}]}"

I wouldn't be surprised if the OP hasn't a clue what settings that script corresponds to; heck, I don't even know!

kevingwn wrote:

I too would appreciate it if you could list what these settings mean in the GUI.

> heck, I don't even know!

yeah, me too big_smile
however this's the UI settings closest to the above script values

Post's attachments

svp-settings-61292.png, 14.67 kb, 555 x 327
svp-settings-61292.png 14.67 kb, 825 downloads since 2016-09-06 

Hey Chainlink, maybe it'd be a good idea to update or at least remove the "settings for anime" page on the wiki since said settings no longer seem to actually be that great?

SVP 3 is still online, why not?

18 (edited by ArcticWolf_11 06-09-2016 21:28:51)

These are very similar to the settings that I use for anime-like content, the only difference is that I use shader @ complicated, artifact masking @ disabled, and processing of scene changes @ repeat frame; I personally feel this gives fewer artifacts, but your mileage may vary.

ArcticWolf_11 wrote:

Unfortunately there aren't really any guides that describe the end-result of each setting, and I've no clue about guides for MPC-HC and madVR (though with your G-sync monitor there's little benefit from changing MPC-HC's settings anyway).

Regarding SVP, with such a high-end PC you really should only need to fiddle with the SVP shader and motion vectors grid settings.

Thanks, your explanation of the settings really helped a lot. Is there anything else that I can do to make the video as smooth as possible with minimal artifacts/sqigglies?
I use SVP shader @ complicated for everything except videos that result in squigglies due to quickly-moving thin lines (for those videos I use SVP shader @ standard); an example video that causes this phenomenon would be the rain around 5 minutes in this video: https://youtu.be/tcWJFQsSKT8

I also normally just set Motion vectors grid to the maximum value possible that my PC can handle, but using particularly small values on high-res videos (like 8 px. on a 1080p video) may give displeasing artifacts.

Other than that, there are only 3 other settings your really should worry about (everything else can just be "maxed out" unless you're having performance issues), but these settings do not directly effect the motion interpolation - they are Artifact masking, Decrease grid step, and Processing of scene changes.

Processing of scene changes - when there is a large difference between two source video frames (such as a scene transition or a large object moving extremely fast across the screen), SVP will not even bother generating an interpolated frame and will instead repeat frame or blend adjacent frames.  I personally use "repeat" for anime-like content (particularly because characters are typically only animated at 12fps) but use "blend" for everything else.

Artifact masking takes the blended frame that would be the result of blend adjacent frames (though in this case it applies to every interpolated frame) and overlays it on top of the interpolated frame; the greater the setting, the more visible the blended frame is while the less visible the interpolated frame is.  I personally always leave this at disabled unless I'm watching cinematic-like content with someone that's not used to high frame rate video.

Decrease grid step can reduce interpolation artifacts, though I set it only to local refinement unless I have performance to spare because I find there to be little to no difference between "local" and global refinement yet "global" takes way more CPU-grunt than the "local".

On weaker PCs (5+ year old dual cores) and/or extremely high resolution videos (4k?), you may need to also fiddle with the motion vectors precision setting as this has a big effect on both CPU utilization and RAM consumption.  Also Frames interpolation mode @ 1m can have a big performance impact on particularly low-end PCs when doing anything other than "Movie x2" interpolation, and Frames interpolation mode @ 1.5m or even 2m can be good if you're more OCD about interpolation artifacts and don't mind the reduction in smoothness.

Thanks, your explanation of the settings really helped a lot. Is there anything else that I can do to get maximum smoothness, perhaps changing settings in the video player or MadVR and Reclock?

kevingwn wrote:

Wow, that looks great! Now how do I use this script? XD

> I too would appreciate it if you could list what these settings mean in the GUI.
> Wow, that looks great! Now how do I use this script? XD
I have the same settings as Chainik's post, and edit SVP 4/script/overrride.js

levels.full                = true;

analyse.main.levels            = 3;
analyse.main.search.distance        = -8;
analyse.main.search.coarse.distance    = -12;

analyse.refine[0]            = {search:{distance:-6}};
analyse.refine[1]            = {search:{distance:-4}};

21 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 07-09-2016 02:03:10)

ArcticWolf_11 wrote:

Thanks, your explanation of the settings really helped a lot. Is there anything else that I can do to get maximum smoothness, perhaps changing settings in the video player or MadVR and Reclock?

The only other thing is to make sure that you're doing interpolation by an exact multiple, like 24fps @ x3 to 72fps rather than to 75fps.

Since you have a G-sync monitor, your monitor should automatically match its refresh rate to the interpolated frame rate and therefore you don't have to worry about matching and changing refresh rates and stuff - just make sure G-sync is working and you'll be fine!

Also, with Chainlink's settings, you could try to increase the settings for motion vectors precision, motion vectors grid, and processing of scene changes, but be wary as they may increase the artifacting to unacceptable as well.

22 (edited by TayyabKhalid 07-09-2016 06:26:32)

kevingwn wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if the OP hasn't a clue what settings that script corresponds to; heck, I don't even know!

How do I get around to using these script? Would very much appreciate it, if you shared the instructions.

kevingwn wrote:

> I too would appreciate it if you could list what these settings mean in the GUI.
> Wow, that looks great! Now how do I use this script? XD
I have the same settings as Chainik's post, and edit SVP 4/script/overrride.js

levels.full                = true;

analyse.main.levels            = 3;
analyse.main.search.distance        = -8;
analyse.main.search.coarse.distance    = -12;

analyse.refine[0]            = {search:{distance:-6}};
analyse.refine[1]            = {search:{distance:-4}};

YES thanks! I added these settings and they really help make things smoother and it lessened the squiggly lines!

TayyabKhalid wrote:
kevingwn wrote:

How do I get around to using these script? Would very much appreciate it, if you shared the instructions.

You edit the override.js file and add them, make sure to take ownership of the file, if not just save the file to your desktop after editing and then copy and replace the old file in SVP 4/script/overrride.js

ArcticWolf_11 wrote:

The only other thing is to make sure that you're doing interpolation by an exact multiple, like 24fps @ x3 to 72fps rather than to 75fps.

Since you have a G-sync monitor, your monitor should automatically match its refresh rate to the interpolated frame rate and therefore you don't have to worry about matching and changing refresh rates and stuff - just make sure G-sync is working and you'll be fine!

Also, with Chainlink's settings, you could try to increase the settings for motion vectors precision, motion vectors grid, and processing of scene changes, but be wary as they may increase the artifacting to unacceptable as well.

Thanks for all the help! Is there a manual with a description of all the settings and what they do, if not will one be made soon?