Topic: Computer freezes when closing a video

Sometimes when I close a video or open a new video while another one is still running, my whole computer just freezes completely. It's not happening every time, but still often enough to be very annoying. I'm fairly certain that this has something to do with SVP because it only happens with video.
I have undone any overclocking and undervolting to rule out those factors. I am now testing without GPU acceleration to see if it still happens. Any idea what the issue could be? Could there be a problem when SVP stops processing data?

My computer:
i7-5820k
AMD 290X
32GB RAM
Windows 10 x64 and SVP Pro 4.0.0.76

If you need any more information I'll provide it.

Re: Computer freezes when closing a video

SVP is a user-space application, it just can't freeze or hang the whole system.
If it happens - it's a question to some driver or something like this.

blabb

computer just freezes completely

What you mean?
For what time (one second / 5 seconds)?
Did you look to the task manager? What process uses maximum CPU at that moments?

It freezes and stays frozen. Can't do anything so I have to reset the PC.
There must be something happening when video-playback stops that sometimes leads to this. My first guess is that it has something to do with GPU acceleration.

The obvious thing to do is completely close SVP (via right clicking the tray icon) and see if it still happens.

If it does, then it's something with the media player, not SVP.

Thanks Capt. Obvious.
As I said it is not happening everytime and watching video for a few hours without SVP is a pain in the ass. So I'd rather test it without GPU acceleration right now for this reason and because I'm guessing this to be the culprit.

blabb
SVP uses GPU Acceleration via OpenCL. OpenCL is a part of graphic drivers. Try to reinstall graphic drivers.
With completely remove it first. Use DDU.

I completely reinstalled Windows in between so I think I can skip reinstalling graphic drivers.

Ok so just had a freeze without GPU acceleration. This sucks twice because I have absolutely no idea why it happens and now I have to test without SVP which is pure torture.

video player?
video renderer?
d3d fullscreen - on or off?

MPC-HC 1.7.10 (32bit)
Enhanced Video Renderer
d3d fullscreen off

12 (edited by dlr5668 28-05-2016 18:22:51)

blabb wrote:

MPC-HC 1.7.10 (32bit)
Enhanced Video Renderer
d3d fullscreen off

since u have pro version try mpv player. Its blazing fast and may work in this case. Check mpv thread for config files !

13 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 28-05-2016 20:42:03)

blabb wrote:

now I have to test without SVP which is pure torture.

Can't you just manually seek to a few seconds before the end of a video and skip the torturous viewing of low-framerate content?

Alternatively, you could intentionally find some native high-framerate content.

blabb wrote:

d3d fullscreen off

Try turning this on.

14 (edited by greg1292 01-06-2016 13:21:18)

Svp and MPC-HC 1.7.10 (32bit) with Nvidia latest drivers is a craps shoot and I get lock ups as well
and even a blue screen with my gtx-770. Use 352 drivers and it works for me or MPV which never fails.

Since you have that problem with Nvidia as well and I also found that MPC-HC ticket (https://trac.mpc-hc.org/ticket/5787) I'm now more and more thinking that MPC-HC could be the problem. It sucks because MPC-HC is just the best player I know. I can't stand MPV. I'm testing the MPC-HC Nightly now and maybe I should test MPC-BE.

16 (edited by dlr5668 02-06-2016 21:01:33)

MPV is <3. MPV is life. You just need to configure it and use with Kodi for media organisation.

17 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 02-06-2016 21:10:28)

dlr5668 wrote:

MPV is <3. MPV is life. You just need to configure it and use with Kodi for media organisation.

I can't consider it life when it mpv's method of configuration literally (not figuratively) causes me headaches.

MPV may be a great player, but it is unnecessarily complicated und feels like a masochists tool to me. I want my player to work nice out of the box or with minimal adjustments in a settings panel. So please don't turn this in a discussion about MPV. It's not relevant to me.

19 (edited by GodZeon 04-06-2016 01:04:46)

blabb wrote:

Since you have that problem with Nvidia as well and I also found that MPC-HC ticket (https://trac.mpc-hc.org/ticket/5787) I'm now more and more thinking that MPC-HC could be the problem. It sucks because MPC-HC is just the best player I know. I can't stand MPV. I'm testing the MPC-HC Nightly now and maybe I should test MPC-BE.

Try MPC-BE, I've been running it for a while and haven't had any significant issues. I'm also on the latest nvidia drivers.
Edit: Just noticed you're running an AMD card. I recommend you update your driver manually on the AMD site, if you haven't already. This is because Windows auto-installs an outdated version usually.

I've also been having this issue lately, and only when SVP is enabled, regardless of GPU acceleration. I had this issue when I had D3D Fullscreen enabled.

I had to remember to disable SVP before the video ends to avoid it as it only crashed with SVP on.  Also on an AMD Radeon R9 290.  Win7 & SVP 3.1.7 

Now trying latest AMD drivers, D3D Fullscreen disabled & MPC-HC 1.7.10 using only internal LAV decoder w/SVP (no codec packs).  Watched 2 videos through to the end without crashing.  Dunno if that's a fix or a fluke.

VB_SVP can you (and everyone with the same problem as me) try the MPC-HC Nightly build? You can get it here https://nightly.mpc-hc.org/