Topic: SVP and Paranormal Activity: The Ghost dimension: anyone succes?

Hi,

My HTPC is not the worst setup:
Asrock 990FX Extreme 6 Motherboard (support 220W TPD CPU's)
AMD FX8350 4 GHz 8 core cpu , running stable on 4.4 Ghz
Nvidia GTX 960 graphics card

Still, it is not able to play Paranormal Activity: The Ghost dimension using SVP. (CPU not throttling, all cores running on 4.4 GHz !)
This movie is a good test voor SVP, since it is filmed using a hand camera.

Just curious if anyone is able to watch this movie using SVP without stuttering and what your setup is to make this possible?

Ronald

Re: SVP and Paranormal Activity: The Ghost dimension: anyone succes?

I have fx-8370 4.5ghz overcl.
nvidia gtx 960 as you.

I run svp with the highest settings for 72fps (screen), I have svp 4 pro, and I use variable options, that are even more demanding than highest (automatic). I can run on my 1080p tv (72hz oc.) every 1080p and 4k movie (decrease to screen (1080p)) without using even 60% cpu and 20% gpu.

Your hardware is indeed possible to watch any full hd movie!

Just.,.... do not know what can cause discrepancies since yours and my hardware is similar.

Show us the svp screen which shows cpu usage, svp index, mb, ..... which player? svp 32-bit? mpc-hc? enhanced video renderer? tell us more.

Also tell us how the video is encoded - bit depth? codec?

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

Also tell us how the video is encoded - bit depth? codec?

It's a blu-ray movie. So bit depth must be 8 bits. I'll see if I can find more info!

5 (edited by tingtong5 13-03-2016 13:50:16)

Roberto Rossi wrote:

I have fx-8370 4.5ghz overcl.
nvidia gtx 960 as you.

I run svp with the highest settings for 72fps (screen), I have svp 4 pro, and I use variable options, that are even more demanding than highest (automatic). I can run on my 1080p tv (72hz oc.) every 1080p and 4k movie (decrease to screen (1080p)) without using even 60% cpu and 20% gpu.

Your hardware is indeed possible to watch any full hd movie!

Just.,.... do not know what can cause discrepancies since yours and my hardware is similar.

Show us the svp screen which shows cpu usage, svp index, mb, ..... which player? svp 32-bit? mpc-hc? enhanced video renderer? tell us more.

Hmmm that is strange indeed. I am using:

- kodi 16rc2 dsplayer
- svp4 32 bit (yes, GPU support enabled)
- reclock
- madvr

I'll soon make some screenshots.

It seems like kodi 16 for some reason is using more cpu resourses, using exact same settings (which does include GPU support).

I started with a decent HTPC, however in the past few months spent 800 euro extra to get SVP happy  (which it still is not  tongue) .
It helps also when I change shader back from complicated to normal, that makes this particulaer movie "watchable" and SVP index much closer to 1.

6 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 13-03-2016 19:45:14)

The "complicated" shader is considerably more processor-intensive than the "standard" shader.

Also, what refresh rate are you outputting to?  24fps to 72Hz will be smoother and less processor-intensive than 24fps to 60Hz.

7 (edited by tingtong5 14-03-2016 14:31:10)

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

The "complicated" shader is considerably more processor-intensive than the "standard" shader.

Also, what refresh rate are you outputting to?  24fps to 72Hz will be smoother and less processor-intensive than 24fps to 60Hz.

60 Hz, since my display unfortunatly does not support 72 Hz.

And yes I know complicated shader is more cpu hungry then normal shader.

I watched some of it and I didn't notice any stuttering.  I noticed some raw quick cuts (like putting on the santa mask @ ~4:45) but they're the same with SVP off.  Speaking of which, I can see why you want SVP for this one.

But it's worth it as it is the only one that doesn't "halo" objects in motion.

My setup:
AMD FX 8350 OC'd to 4.4 Ghz (with CnQ enabled)
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Revision 1.0 AM3+ mobo with latest BIOS
G.Skill 2400 Mhz RAM running at 1600 Mhz (b/c Gigabyte)
Radeon R9 290 OC.

SVP 3.1.7a, 19 threads, complicated shader, weakest artifacts masking, GPU acceleration on

VB_SVP wrote:

I watched some of it and I didn't notice any stuttering.  I noticed some raw quick cuts (like putting on the santa mask @ ~4:45) but they're the same with SVP off.  Speaking of which, I can see why you want SVP for this one.

But it's worth it as it is the only one that doesn't "halo" objects in motion.

My setup:
AMD FX 8350 OC'd to 4.4 Ghz (with CnQ enabled)
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Revision 1.0 AM3+ mobo with latest BIOS
G.Skill 2400 Mhz RAM running at 1600 Mhz (b/c Gigabyte)
Radeon R9 290 OC.

SVP 3.1.7a, 19 threads, complicated shader, weakest artifacts masking, GPU acceleration on

Ok thanks for the feedback about watching this movie on your setup!! :-)

At the moment I have issues with my new motherboard (Asrock 990FX Extreme6), I might return it and buy the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 since it has 8+2 phase as well and works fine in your setup with FX8350 :-)

After resolving my hardware issues I will do some tests again.

I'm not sure I'd recommend the mobo I've got.  I have the now-ancient first revision, which has been problem-free for me, but I've seen online that some of the newer revisions have issues with overclocking and overheating.  The board also, despite what the BIOS claims, can't really seem to handle 2400 Mhz RAM.  According to this thread, faster RAM does make SVP a bit faster.

While I can't vouch for ASRock quality, since the software that we're using is different I'm not sure you should blame all the issues on the board just yet.

To clear up some misunderstanding:

I was running svp on a motherboard that turned out not to be suited for 8 core CPU (cpu throttling even when not getting hot). That is why I changed to ASRock Extreme 6 motherboard with 8+2 phase. This board is giving me booting issues (boots only 50% of the times) which I was not able to solve. Therefore I want to return the board and get another one with 8+2 phase. The Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 seems to be a good choice and I will make sure not to get a version 1.0.

I was not blaming any SVP issue on the ASRock board.

Sounds good to me, I'd just stay away from the Revision 3 boards as those are the ones I've seen ppl say have issues.  I haven't heard anything bad about their UD5 boards, but I have no personal experience with them.

13 (edited by tingtong5 17-03-2016 09:29:04)

VB_SVP wrote:

Sounds good to me, I'd just stay away from the Revision 3 boards as those are the ones I've seen ppl say have issues.  I haven't heard anything bad about their UD5 boards, but I have no personal experience with them.

I bought the newer Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 R5 :-)

But now I am having video/audio freezes (svp disabled) during  playback (about 4 times during a 90 minutes movie). I will install a seperate NIC today and use that instead of integrated LAN port. Hopefully that will solve it, never had freezes before.