1 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 17-03-2015 05:54:07)

Topic: High RAM clock = faster, even with loose timings & no voltage bump?

So I was fiddling with my CPU overclock today and in the process of said fiddling I decided to try my hand at RAM overclocking.  Well it turns out that, as long as the memory clock is higher, you can keep the timings super-loose and RAM voltage down and yet you'll still get better SVP performance, even if you're not using GPU-acceleration.  Typically in programs, once your timings get pretty loose, you start to have worse performance...

For reference, I took 1333MHz 9-9-9 RAM up to 2133MHz 14-14-14 without any voltage increase (I tested 1600 and 1866 as well, but 2133 performed the best and my PC couldn't boot with anything higher)

My CPU is a Pentium G3258 if it makes any difference...

Re: High RAM clock = faster, even with loose timings & no voltage bump?

I found I got a significant bump up in performance every time I upped the speed of my RAM from 1600, be it up to 1800, 1866, or 2000. This change was also reflected in the balance of my four cores running SVP. Prior to upping the speed, the cores were all carrying a different burden, whereas upping the speed balanced their performance. In other words, originally core 4 would max out to 100% very early and I'd get artifacts. Core 1 would be running at 65% and its potential to handle more was being wasted. After speeding up my RAM, core 4's burden was lower and the other cores higher. When the burden was more equally shared with the other cores, I got  much fewer artifacts and significantly improved smoothness.

I can tell about up to 14% speedup from RAM overclocking.

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=1878
See more in pictures in this Russian thread.

Also increasing the processing threads also adds to greater stability...

For example leaving my 4790K on Auto Processing Threads compared to setting it to 19, makes a massive difference...

I do have a question, is there a way to edit the processing threads? I want to add numbers between 19 and 30?

For me 19 works stable, and I feel like I can push it more, or fool it to think I have more processing threads (which somehow increases performances), but selecting 30 crashes the media player (every media player) immediately. Selecting 19 is great, I want to see what 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 can do? if they can increase performance even more before crashing media player?

Is there way to edit a file to add these numbers?

I know you can, and I have done it for 5x source and 6x source, by editing a file. Is there a file elsewhere I can edit to add custom processing threads?

Blackfyre
Is there way to edit a file to add these numbers?
Yes.
Open SVPMgr.config from SVP Folder. Find line

ExThreads#2;Количество потоков

And add any lines below in the list

-0;Авто;default
-2;2
-3;3
-4;4
-5;5
-6;6
-7;7
-8;8