Topic: Strange, melty flickering.

Hello! I just want to say I really appreciate SVP, when it works it's beautiful. Unfortunately I've run into some problems.

At certain times, I get an odd flickery effect. Usually when things are moving fast, when many things are moving, etc etc.

Here are two examples I've captured:
Monogatari (720p) http://imgur.com/RwulmW1,cItKOyo
Nichijou (1080p) http://imgur.com/RwulmW1,cItKOyo#1

I've tried video profile settings including frame interpolation, artifact masking, shaders etc.
GPU acceleration is turned off, all video quality settings are turned off, my graphics card is very low end compared to the rest of my PC.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to remedy this problem? Any and all input is welcome, I'm quite new to this.

Thank you for reading!

Re: Strange, melty flickering.

I would say that's normal but please attach additional information.

Btw, do you enable variable frame rate repair?
I've experienced that enabling variable frame-rate repair make it worse.

For the starter, is there any different if you make your setting default?
I guess, you're using SVP shader no.2?

3 (edited by hoover1979 10-01-2016 12:02:23)

I get a big flickering issue with SVP 4 Pro mainly with H.264 codec as well as .MKV container.  I have not found any way to stop this.  I have to play these video files with SVP 4 disabled or they are unwatchable.  They play fine for 3-5 seconds and it seems like it is playing an older frame after every few frames resulting on a severe flicker every second, regardless if there is motion or if the scene is static. 

Does anyone know how to fix this? I have had this issue even back when I used SVP 3.  Disabling GPU acceleration, disabling hardware acceleration in LAV, switching between DXVA2 (Native), DXVA2 (Copy-Back), Nvidia CUVID, changing from VMR9 to EVR (Custom Presenter) to MadVR does not solve this issue.  Only quitting SVP 4 pro altogether stops the flicker in these videos, of course with no more frame interpolation.

I am up the tree with this bug and doubt I will ever solve it, if anyone else got this bug and found a workaround, please reply.

Using SVP 4 Pro on Windows 7 (64Bit) with 4Ghz Intel Core i7 4790k, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 DDR3 RAM, and 4Gb Gigabyte Geforce GTX970 G1 Gaming.

EDIT: I found the problem.  If I have FFDshow Raw Filter to resize (Required for My rig for ANYTHING above or below 1080p) no matter what the resize settings it is an outright flickerfest.  The resize options in the renderers (EVR (custom presenter), VMR9, MadVR) do not work on my machine and process all videos lower than 1080p pre-resize and then upscaled in shitty Nearest Neighbor.  So I either get Blocky videos or Flickering ones.

I would love a patch (If possible) for SVP 4 Pro to allow FFDShow Raw Filter's Resize option to not screw up SVP4.

Until then I can only watch 1080p videos as I do not want Flicker, but also do not want blocky videos (SD is horrible that way)

hoover1979 wrote:

The resize options in the renderers (EVR (custom presenter), VMR9, MadVR) do not work on my machine and process all videos lower than 1080p pre-resize and then upscaled in shitty Nearest Neighbor.  So I either get Blocky videos or Flickering ones.

Could you give us the screenshot of MadVR statistics whether the upscale working or not. Press Ctrl+J when playing with MPC-HC.

Post's attachments

madvr_stats.JPG, 51.55 kb, 274 x 554
madvr_stats.JPG 51.55 kb, 472 downloads since 2016-01-10 

If I have FFDshow Raw Filter to resize (Required for My rig for ANYTHING above or below 1080p)

alternatively you could use "resize to screen" option in SVP

hoover1979 wrote:

I get a big flickering issue with SVP 4 Pro mainly with H.264 codec as well as .MKV container.  I have not found any way to stop this.  I have to play these video files with SVP 4 disabled or they are unwatchable.  They play fine for 3-5 seconds and it seems like it is playing an older frame after every few frames resulting on a severe flicker every second, regardless if there is motion or if the scene is static.

I have the exact same issue. The thing is I'm not using any resizing in FFDshow Raw Filter and most of a time I have this issue while playing 1080p videos.

I have found no solution but to disable SVP when it happens.

I had a funky flickering issue back with SVP 3.1.7 and I have no idea why because SVP 3.1.6 didn't do it... about 20% of the time it didn't happen though so if you just kept closing and re-opening the video you could get lucky sometimes.

Interestingly enough, disabling GPU acceleration in SVP prevented the issue...

On my PC SVP 3.1.7 still does this funky issue even today, but SVP4 hasn't had this issue at all so I haven't had to deal with it.

Yep! Seems like disabling GPU acceleration stopped the flickering for me. But I'm using SVP 4 Pro (with potplayer).