1 (edited by Vyphox 31-12-2015 00:12:30)

Topic: Abnormal GPU Usage at 1440p [GTX 970]

Hello,

I have just noticed some abnormalities with my GPU usage at the native resolution of my monitor (2560x1440).
Basically, if turn on image doubling in madVR at any number of neurons, the gpu usage goes to around 95%. This is regardless of what refresh rate the monitor is at it seems. Lowering the refresh rate only drops usage by 1-2% and frames are still being dropped at a very high rate (around 70 per second?).

The odd thing is that when I scale the window down a little to take up around 2/3 of the screen, gpu usage is only at around 40-50% but past some certain point, it just jumps to the 90's. Furthermore, when I turn the resolution of my monitor down to 1920 x 1080, I can basically use max image doubling settings and chroma doubling settings at 96fps (see attached image) and the gpu usage is only at around 60% (2-3 frames are still being dropped per second for some reason).

Thank you for your help!

Post's attachments

abc.png, 12.97 kb, 517 x 414
abc.png 12.97 kb, 532 downloads since 2015-12-30 

Re: Abnormal GPU Usage at 1440p [GTX 970]

Refresh rate has nothing to do with GPU usage.

Upscaling and downscaling are the issues. The more it upscales or downscales, the more strains are for GPU.

There's nothing abnormal about your issues smile

mashingan wrote:

Refresh rate has nothing to do with GPU usage.

Upscaling and downscaling are the issues. The more it upscales or downscales, the more strains are for GPU.

There's nothing abnormal about your issues smile

Wouldn't a higher refresh rate mean that more frames will have to be rendered thus increasing GPU usage (with SVP)? Sorry if I'm missing something. I understand that upscaling it more will strain the GPU more but I am just confused on how maxing out the settings is less straining than upscaling just to 1440p (can't even handle 16 neurons).

If upscaling is actually that much more straining, what would be the better option? 1440p with no image doubling or maximum settings with 1080p? Also, does anyone have an explanation for the dropped frames even though the GPU is only running at 60% usage?

Thank you!

Vyphox wrote:

Wouldn't a higher refresh rate mean that more frames will have to be rendered thus increasing GPU usage (with SVP)? Sorry if I'm missing something.

Yes, you're correct. It's not entirely unrelated (read: somehow related), but it's more constraint of CPU. The more larger the frames, the more pixels that need to be computed.
The GPU renderer only works for rendering. Indeed it's increasing GPU usage, but not as much as CPU usage

I understand that upscaling it more will strain the GPU more but I am just confused on how maxing out the settings is less straining than upscaling just to 1440p (can't even handle 16 neurons).

I think it's the Image Doubling is that very straining. Especially in your case which set it "Always - if upscaling is needed".
To be honest, I never be able to use any Image Doubling setting.

If upscaling is actually that much more straining, what would be the better option? 1440p with no image doubling or maximum settings with 1080p? Also, does anyone have an explanation for the dropped frames even though the GPU is only running at 60% usage?

Thank you!

If the video is 1080p, It's better without image doubling. Below than that, it's preferable to use image doubling.
Image doubling gives advantage when upscaling too small videos, e.g. 740x480 -> 2560x1440, of course in exchange with GPU usage

When the frames dropping, is your CPU below 100%? Does that happen continuously?
Sometimes there are scenes that strain CPU more, but it should be only for those kind of scenes. It shouldn't be happened continuously.

Does this only happen while SVP is running?  If not, perhaps you'd have more luck asking somewhere dedicated to MadVR?

Vyphox wrote:

does anyone have an explanation for the dropped frames even though the GPU is only running at 60% usage?

Possible reasons:
- lack of CPU preformance - you need to reduce settings;
- secondary display - make current display primary or turn off all others temporally to check if it helps;
- framerate not equal to display refresh rate - make it equal;
- disabled exclusive mode in madVR - enable it and switch to Fullscreen mode.

MAG79 wrote:
Vyphox wrote:

does anyone have an explanation for the dropped frames even though the GPU is only running at 60% usage?

Possible reasons:
- lack of CPU preformance - you need to reduce settings;
- secondary display - make current display primary or turn off all others temporally to check if it helps;
- framerate not equal to display refresh rate - make it equal;
- disabled exclusive mode in madVR - enable it and switch to Fullscreen mode.

1. I have a 4790k which is clocked at 4.7ghz. I don't think that this a limiting factor (only around 40% usage).
2. I only have one monitor.
3. How do I go about making sure that the fps is equal to the display refresh rate? Are you talking about the small differences?
4. Could you please explain this one a bit more? Do I disable it in the video section of potplayer? What settings should I have in madVR?

Thank you!

Vyphox
1. Then check if you use video output from discrete adapter GTX 970 not from internal graphics - Intel HD Graphics 4600.
3. I talk about significant differences. For example 75 fps at 60 Hz monitor. Real fps and refreshrate you can get from madVR statistics (Ctlr-J).
4. When open video in MPC-HC - menu Play - madVR - Edit Settings - rendering - general settings - enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode. Are you using PotPlayer?

9 (edited by maruschade 31-12-2015 15:19:26)

I tried to reproduce with MPC-HC 1.7.10 and madVR 0.89.19 and SVP 4.0.0.54
No problem using image doubling with source 720x576 even with octuple settings :-)
And thank you now I set image doubling by default.

maruschade wrote:

No problem using image doubling with source 720x576 even with octuple settings :-)

720x576 upscaled to?

The TS problem is he's upscaling to 2560x1440, not to mention that he's using "Always - if upscaling is needed", so image doubling is always used even though his video already 1080p. (When upscaling 1080p -> 1440p, I don't think he need image doubling though).

Vyphox
How about tweaking the performance tab in madvr?

Post's attachments

madvr_perftab.JPG, 46.19 kb, 469 x 312
madvr_perftab.JPG 46.19 kb, 597 downloads since 2015-12-31 

After playing around with some settings and stuff, I have found a semi-solution for the frame dropping. Firstly, surprisingly, it doesn't seem like my GTX970 can handle image doubling at all for a 1440p monitor (my monitor is a 60hz overclockable to 120hz). With image doubling turned off, I do not get any frame drops what so ever in windowed mode even if the window basically covers the full screen. In full screen mode, I am dropping around 3-5 frames per second at 1440p96. However, It seems like I am able to reduce the frame rate dropping to around 1 frame per 10-20 seconds by increasing the CPU and GPU queue size.

Is "use direct3d 11 for presentation" enabled?