Topic: Massive slowdown on certain movies. SVP 4

Hello,

I've just installed SVP 4 from SVP 3 and left the same plugins (AVYSYNTH,FFDSHOW) for SVP4 to use. The issue I am encountering is that SVP 4 loses a lot of performance on some movies where there is a lot of action going on in some scenes or a film with a lot of grain in.

Examples:

Black Hawk Down has great scenes with 4 humans in it, but at the second there are a lot of humans, and helicopters, the movie becomes much slower than 24FPS and there is an uncoordinated stream of video/audio.

300: It cannot be viewed, the Movie picture is grainy as intended, it seems the grain in the picture is what causes a slowdown.

Battle of Britain: An old movie on Bluray, also has a lot of grain, therefore there is a slowdown.

It also happens to be the case with MP4 video files and only very select MKV files. This does not occur with SVP3 unless Motion Vectors Grid is set to a higher value than 12 PX. Average 2 (Default). I believe this may be the case of SVP 4 not having as many setting options and only having a slider for Performance and Quality.

The issue I have is that I was placed on Higher Quality by default system scan, but this problem will persist until I move the slider all the way to the right, so I lose a lot of detail and immersion, but the frames are consistent.

Is there something I am missing here?

Thanks for your time, Please let me know if I need to provide any reports or the like.

2 (edited by stefanogiusio 10-10-2015 00:00:36)

Re: Massive slowdown on certain movies. SVP 4

Hi smile
I had already written a post about this, but decided to play around a little more before i posted it. I have the same issues, the CPU usage only goes up to about 30%  (Intel Core i7-4790K) no matter what settings i use, and some parts of movies slow down so much that the audio gets 2 or 3 seconds ahead.
An example of this is in the start of Pacific Rim where there is a night vision scene, all the specs and grainy footage (as you described as well) must be clogging up the system due to some matrix algoritms that has to calculate everything before it will continue with the next frames.

Is your CPU usage also limited to a certain amount Or does it go all the way to 100%?

It is not only in these specific parts the movies slows down. The overall performance of a 1080p blu-ray is around 0.70-0.90 on the svp index in any big visual scene.

stefanogiusio wrote:

Hi smile
I had already written a post about this, but decided to play around a little more before i posted it. I have the same issues, the CPU usage only goes up to about 30%  (Intel Core i7-4790K) no matter what settings i use, and some parts of movies slow down so much that the audio gets 2 or 3 seconds ahead.
An example of this is in the start of Pacific Rim where there is a night vision scene, all the specs and grainy footage (as you described as well) must be clogging up the system due to some matrix algoritms that has to calculate everything before it will continue with the next frames.

Is your CPU usage also limited to a certain amount Or does it go all the way to 100%?

Thanks for the reply smile

Yup!, Just tried it with PR as well, it is choppy since the beginning and my CPU usage only reaches 57%, this is using the slider option "Optimal". My CPU is an i7 4770K. Even with the slider all the way to Higher Performance, the frames are better, issues go away, CPU increases usage by 10 to 15%, but quality is worse than my settings in SVP 3.

I just tried Pacific Rim again with the full performance slider and artifacts masking on high. This makes the movie a lot more watchable, but moving the slider just 1 point closer to the middle makes the frames go to weird varying speeds. CPU usage is still 30% tongue i will try and watch Frozen later and see if i can find a proper setting. Hopefully there will be some patch or information about this smile

stefanogiusio wrote:

I just tried Pacific Rim again with the full performance slider and artifacts masking on high. This makes the movie a lot more watchable, but moving the slider just 1 point closer to the middle makes the frames go to weird varying speeds. CPU usage is still 30% tongue i will try and watch Frozen later and see if i can find a proper setting. Hopefully there will be some patch or information about this smile

Sounds like a plan. I watched a couple of animated movies too, Advent Children, How to Train your Dragon, etc.. they don't have any slowdown for me when I set the profile to Animation.

Definitely looking forward for more information and patches.

I just watched Frozen on an older i7-920 with a gtx 560 for gpu acceleration and 6gb ram. The settings i used was Optimal, with Artifact masking on high (200) and the Animation mode. I was really impressed, and it was definetly better than my svp 3.1.7 settings smile The artifacts on the new 4 core are much less visible and blend better in with the video compared to the old versions ones which were just black spots flarering sad . Only a few kind scenes had noticeable artifacts, and i would say that 80% of the entire movie was artifact free (which is a very good start! considering this is free version).
I tried to bump it up to the level above optimal with artifact masking on medium, but it slowed the video down so i just switched back after 40 seconds.
The CPU was running at 40% the entire movie.

Which one is better SVP4 free or SVP TR ?

Solved my slowdown issue in Windows 10. The problem turned out to be TWO copies of SVP 4 Free installed at the same time. Strange, but true. So you might want to check "Programs and Features" to see if you have multiple copies competing with each other. I uninstalled both copies, restarted my machine, reinstalled SVP 4 Free and - Voila! - it works just fine now.

Correction: solved most of my slowdown issues. Not all. Busy scenes on some movies go into slow motion still. Oh well...

It's an error with "default" number of threads
just set it to 15 for i7 CPU and you'll be fine

"application settings" -> "additional options" -> "processing threads"

will be fixed ASAP big_smile

===
fixed, just restart Manager and you should find and update available

Chainik wrote:

===

Thank you! That was definitely it. I am glad it was something so simple.

There was the patch we were looking for Supertaquito smile Cheers

How do I update ? I pressed Install but nothing happened, the update is still there.

it should run "Maintain SVP 4 Installation" tool...

Nothing like that runs though. What could be the problem here ?

you can run it from the Start menu - there should be a shortcut there

17 (edited by yuushin51 12-10-2015 13:35:11)

Didn't see anything else beside SVP 4 Free Manager in Start menu, so I redownloaded and reinstalled, then a shortcut called Maintain SVP 4 Installation appeared, but it's not found.
So I opened the installation folder and see 2 files got .new behind them: svp4-maintenance.exe.new and svp4-maintenance.dat.new
I then deleted the .new and yea it can run now, but pointless though since I already reinstalled lol

This's interesting...

19 (edited by sausuke 12-10-2015 21:48:37)

Chainik wrote:

===

wooh thank you very much.. have jittering on anime specially when rotating scene and panning. this solve my problem on my 5960x processor.. having the same problem since SVP TP, guess it wasn't fixed on SVP Free xD

EDIT:
Now it's much better than Version 3. Can't enjoy SVP 4 'cause of that problem big_smile Thank you again for that fix