Re: What CPU will give the best SVP performance? 6700K vs 5820K

Results from a 5Ghz 6700K:

http://cdn.overclock.net/2/26/260e926a_ … cried.jpeg

Not bad  big_smile

In another (perhaps even more impressive) benchmark, the 6700k was MUCH sharper than anything that came before, however Intel still needs some pointers on 'cutting the cheese'. lol

xenonite wrote:

After I upgraded to my current 5960X-based system, I received a very noticable increase in image quality (still not what I would call 'good', but I don't think it is reasonable to expect any interpolation software to be able to generate a good picture from such a heavily aliased source as a 24fps recording).
After I overclocked said system to 4.7GHz, the quality did not increase, merely because SVP was not developed with such systems in mind.
However, redefining the values in the override.js file, did in fact significantly improve the quality of SVP's interpolated images, while also running at around 80~90% CPU load, on average. Simply put, my 5960X is not up to the task of providing enough performance to allow for a proper interpolation to be done (at 1080P, I don't even try 4k).

So while SVP3 (and certainly not SVP4) will not be able to make use of increased CPU or GPU power at default, editing the configuration files allows SVP to make full use of any CPU you can give it, with the accompanying massively improved image quality it produces.

I am in the process of thoroughly testing and documenting the effect that these 'hidden' settings have on the quality and CPU load of SVP's interpolated output (similarly to what has already been done to compare different image upscaling algorithms on other forums).
It is slow and tedious work (I am using the lossless SVT_MultiFormat sources which are 48MB per frame (more than 20GB for a 10s native 50fps video) and SVP is almost always running at less than 1fps), but I hope to be able to demonstrate, to the developers, the significant improvements in quality (with proper mathematical similarity metrics to back it up) that allowing these heavier settings has.

Hey, you seem really well versed with this, what can you recommend to get the smoothest video? Cause for most videos I max everything out and have some cpu power to spare. Here's what I'm currently rolling with.
http://i.imgur.com/PQZDnDb.png

Set SVP shader to "Complicated" - note that it will artifact on thin lines however, so for footage with lots of thin lines keep using the Standard shader.

30 (edited by xenonite 31-08-2015 23:44:53)

badhomaks wrote:

Hey, you seem really well versed with this, what can you recommend to get the smoothest video? Cause for most videos I max everything out and have some cpu power to spare.

Thank you for your kind words. Nintendo Maniac 64 is right, if there are a lot of thin lines (or, rather, many high-amplitude and high-frequency spacial components), then complicated will 'smooth' them over if it cannot find a smooth progression from one frame to the next. Please see here for the general difference between 'smooth' and 'sharp' SVP settings (when it comes to difficult moving objects that are not very thin (the thin lines get blurred into the wavy image for the 'smooth' settings).
What I would recommend depends a lot on your system specs, but this is what I'd recommend for the smoothest real-time interpolation of standard high-quality (>5Mbps x264 encoded @ High10 & slower preset or more) 1080p23.976 series to 1080p60:

Use the same GUI settings that you posted, except for setting the 'SVP Shader' to "23. Complicated" and setting 'Artifacts masking' to "Weakest".
Then make use of the following values for override.js (a settings file in the main SVP install directory that can override the, normally hidden, settings that the developers deemed should not be altered (which is normally the case as these can do much more harm than good). Also, if you have the time, you may want to look over the documentation of these Advanced SVPFlow Options and the MVTools2 parameters, to better understand what the overrides do.

Remember to first create a backup of your original override.js file (so that you can easily restore your SVP configuration to the way that it was). Then try out my override.js recommendations by simply overwriting the default file in the SVP directory with the one that I attached here.

EDIT: I would also recommend running MadVR on a second discrete GPU (if possible) and to use a sharp bicubic scaler with the anti-ringing filter, as well as making use of the available sharpening post-processing options, to sharpen up the blurry SVP output (remember to check that this doesn't expose a lot more artifacts and doesn't make existing artifacts much more visible).

Post's attachments

override.js 2.72 kb, 453 downloads since 2015-08-31 

31 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 01-09-2015 06:41:40)

xenonite wrote:

I would also recommend running MadVR on a second discrete GPU

SVP is light enough in its GPU usage that you can have SVP running on even Intel integrated graphics while MadVR runs on a discrete GPU.

Nintendo Maniac 64
Yes, its just that a lot of people have a previous-gen GPU still lying around that they can use for SVP, because activating the IGP, even if it doesnt do much work, still takes up quite a bit of power (from 0V power gated to 1.xV and 1000+MHz). And since almost all modern chips are power limited (unlocked chips will need some more cooling and may need to drop a few 100 MHz, if overclocked) it would be in badhomaks' best interest (to be able to run those settings I recommended) to be able to run the highest overclock he possibly can.

Of course, backing off on the block overlapping, for instance, would make running both the CPU and IGP, at the same time, much more feasible. Then again, maybe he already has a 5GHz 6700k with some overclocked IGP in there to boot. smile