Topic: What's hew in SVP 4?

I took a look at SVP 4. What's new in it? Is it only a preview of the Manager? Is there any change to SVPFlow? Are you still using AviSynth 2.5.8 MT? Any idea when a stable AviSynth+ will be available?

Re: What's hew in SVP 4?

Mystery
What's new in it?

Everything  big_smile

Is it only a preview of the Manager?

http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVP4_Technical_Preview wrote:

This version contains only a small amount of SVP 4 features

Is there any change to SVPFlow?

Yes, but not in the FRC engine (as of now).

Are you still using AviSynth 2.5.8 MT?

You're free to use any version you'd like.

3 (edited by Mystery 01-08-2015 21:50:17)

I have yet to find any version of AviSynth+ MT that at the very minimum synchronizes the audio and video. I'm still waiting for that to come out.

Yes of course it's only a fraction of the features, you're still in early development.

If there are changes to the engine, it's kind of hard to compare apples to apples because the way configuration settings work is completely different.

What are the user controls in SVP 4 that will be (roughly) available/unavailable compared to SVP 3?

I tried the Tech Preview, it seems it still in Basic interface, right?

5 (edited by xenonite 01-08-2015 23:56:25)

Mystery wrote:

If there are changes to the engine, it's kind of hard to compare apples to apples because the way configuration settings work is completely different.

Hmm, I actually think that the comparison would be very fair,
since both use block-matching for motion vector determination,
both calculate the same error metric (SAD or SATD) to pick out the good MVs,
and both will be using the 'brightness constancy' and maximum vector field divergence (i.e. a 'smoothness' constraint) .

Although the processing performance and level of optimisations will no doubt be quite different, the output images should still have the same qualities and (somewhat masked) artifacts aswell. Also, both should be able to support the same types of settings and arguments (some might be hardcoded in SVP4 for 'user friendliness' though)

6 (edited by Mystery 02-08-2015 01:01:03)

Unless there are changes to SVPFlow, then the result should be exactly the same. The only thing that changes so far is that the settings are different.

This technical preview is good to give a broad idea of what's coming, but so far it doesn't do as good of a job as SVP 3 so for normal use, it's better to stick to what we already have. This is just a preview. I like the polished interface.

What will make a real difference would be to have an updated AviSynth+.

Maybe it depends on your rig, but SVP 4 is dramatically better than SVP 3.7 on my i5 3750k and 55" 4k screen, which I'm watching from a distance of about 1.5 meters. Fewer artifacts and much less blur. Practically zero haloing in non-action scenes when I set the TV to 'game mode'.

Chainik, how do you explain these differences in image quality?

Would it be possible for SVP to auto-select the best settings in real-time? You can detect if the CPU is under-utilized or if there are dropped frames, and you could tweak the settings automatically without the user seeing anything. But such a feature would be hazardous in an early beta.

Mystery
how do you explain these differences in image quality?

simple! people likes to max out all settings in SVP 3 wink

10 (edited by Mystery 02-08-2015 16:12:42)

Great way of improving quality then! Lowering settings smile

Just thinking. Can you detect how much artifacts and halos you're generating? If that's the case, then perhaps you could also auto-lower or adjust settings to decrease artifacts in those cases.

If settings would auto-adjust themselves in the background, and there wouldn't be any lag, it would make it much easier for the user. Perhaps the only setting that would be necessary is whether we want to run the CPU up to 80%, 90% or 100%.

That's assuming you use an AviSynth that doesn't crash when being reset.

One of the reasons why we always keep settings maxed out in SVP 3 is because we can only configure per resolution, we can't configure optimal settings for the needs of specific videos. The only way to have per-video optimal settings would be for the manager to auto-adjust optimal settings.

auto-adjusting is the next step...
and it will work w/o resetting or changing AVS script wink
there's a direct connection between Manager and core libs instances

13 (edited by Jeff R 1 02-08-2015 16:31:15)

That'll be nice _ no one setting in SVP3 is good for animation vs non-animation.

Mystery wrote:

If settings would auto-adjust themselves in the background, and there wouldn't be any lag, it would make it much easier for the user. Perhaps the only setting that would be necessary is whether we want to run the CPU up to 80%, 90% or 100%.

This is of course assuming that an advanced user would be able to set what kind of interpolation settings should be decreased for SVP's less-intense settings.

Mystery wrote:

Chainik, how do you explain these differences in image quality?

Would it be possible for SVP to auto-select the best settings in real-time? You can detect if the CPU is under-utilized or if there are dropped frames, and you could tweak the settings automatically without the user seeing anything. But such a feature would be hazardous in an early beta.

I had the same idea!!! Upon getting dropped frames at "Optimal settings" I lowered them to -10% and thought everything was good, but then a flashy fast moving scene came on and I started getting dropped frames again, so I had to lower to -20%. However getting dropped frames even for 1 second is really annoying, so a proactive approach is preferable. You'd want to ramp up settings or have a test video that gets harder until you detected dropped frames, then consider that the load threshhold to never cross with any settings or at any time in the video!  big_smile

cookieboyeli
may be you just need to leave it at "-20%", it's normal, this's why the adjustment slider is here
system performance testing / comparison is not perfect now smile

Chainik
It may be wise to increase the load on the system? Decoding HEVC Full HD on the CPU and the calculation of the interpolation frames with "Higher Quality +30%" consumes only 60% of the capabilities of the processor.

You mentioned the somewhat stable version of AviSynth+ MT wasn't released yet. Development seems to be dead lately. Do you have any news on AviSynth+?

Last message from ultim - 23-04-2015 10:31:27

20 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 03-08-2015 19:42:28)

AngReload wrote:

Chainik
It may be wise to increase the load on the system? Decoding HEVC Full HD on the CPU and the calculation of the interpolation frames with "Higher Quality +30%" consumes only 60% of the capabilities of the processor.

I'm seeing a similar under-utilization of the CPU.

I'm on a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo and, when using my go-to overly-intensive unrealistic 720p stress-test video, my CPU utilization is only like 45%... I'm able to set SVP 4 to +30% which puts my CPU utilization at around 80% and everything still plays back perfectly smoothly.

Does the fact that I'm only using 720p make a difference? (most of my content is only 720p due to internet bandwidth constraints).  It should be noted that I can't even use all the default settings in SVP 3.1.7 due to my CPU not being fast enough and that my GPU doesn't support DXVA2 nor SVP's GPU acceleration.

Nintendo Maniac 64
or are SVP 4's optimal settings quite conservative

you can always check the actual AVS script wink

For me, SVP4 lags a lot. It's jut not yet optimized to have the right settings. Some videos will under-utilize, others will over-utilize.

Chainik, plugging directly into the core libs to dynamically adjust settings is very smart. It will make the auto-crop feature much better.

Does that mean that for a same video, you can render certain scenes with higher settings and other scenes with more conservative settings to reduce artifacts, giving the best of both worlds?

24 (edited by Mystery 03-08-2015 20:37:50)

Chainik wrote:

Last message from ultim - 23-04-2015 10:31:27

Perhaps he could start an Indiegogo campaign to finish AviSynth+ big_smile

The "free stuff" model doesn't work well to motivate developers and get things done.

Your idea of starting an Indiegogo campaign is very smart, and I think more people should do that. You're basically saying "for xxx $, I'll develop this for the community" and you get it done. Otherwise, it never gets done; or at a painfully slow pace.

25 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 03-08-2015 22:04:52)

So um, I put SVP 4 in my windows startup directory since it already seems to do better on my not-so-high-end Core 2 Duo, but whenever Windows is booting up SVP 4 complains that my CPU performance has changed significantly and it wants to re-optimize its settings.  Is there any way to stop this from occurring?

Also there's quite the grammar error in the actual message to the point of sounding like Engrish. tongue

What it currently says wrote:

We need to measure system performance in order to video profile settings auto detection works correctly.

And here's what it probably should say:

We need to measure system performance in order for video profile auto-detection settings to work correctly.

However it's still quite the wordy mouthful to say "video profile auto-detection settings", so it might be better to say this:

We need to measure system performance in order to automatically detect the correct video profile settings.