1 (edited by Jeff R 1 31-07-2015 21:16:44)

Topic: MPC-HC Crashes With 4K Sony Demo MP4 Video

If the video card (GTX980) is set to the projectors native resolution of 4K or 3860 x 2160p (which actually isn't its native resolution, but the video clip is 3860 x 2160p), then MPC-HC crashes with a message that an external filter is the problem and that filter is Avisynth.

If I set the video to out-put at 1920 x 1080p everything works, even SVP, although the native resolution of 3860 x 2160p video clip does make the processor work _ it's at around 56% where normally it's at 11 to 17% with a 1080p video, but that's not a concern anyway.

Also in order for SVP and MPC-HC to work I have to set as you see in the screen shot (note the green box) selecting anything in the green box else also causes MPC to crash, even at 1080p, when playing a 4K video clip.
I have what is in the red box checked off, but I don't if that has anything to do with it.

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj623/jeffr15/NVIDIA_zpsoicapyzz.png

This is just with a 3860 x 2160p video clip, so at this time it's not that important that I get this to work, plus the fact if I run the video card at 1080p and let the image scale from it's native resolution and then have the projector scale it back to 3860 x 2160p, it still looks absolutely beautiful.
The projector does such an excellent job of scaling, that it makes very little difference when choosing a player that can actually play the clip in it's native resolution.

SVP is also set at 1920 x 800 _ should I be setting that at 3860 x 2160p ?
Thanks.  smile

Re: MPC-HC Crashes With 4K Sony Demo MP4 Video

4K is always about memory usage.
Just save the memory and you'll be fine wink

Try using DXVA Native instead of CUVID. CUVID gave me too many problems.

Jeff R 1 wrote:

If the video card (GTX980) is set to the projectors native resolution of 4K or 3860 x 2160p (which actually isn't its native resolution, but the video clip is 3860 x 2160p), then MPC-HC crashes with a message that an external filter is the problem and that filter is Avisynth.

If I set the video to out-put at 1920 x 1080p everything works, even SVP, although the native resolution of 3860 x 2160p video clip does make the processor work _ it's at around 56% where normally it's at 11 to 17% with a 1080p video, but that's not a concern anyway.

Also in order for SVP and MPC-HC to work I have to set as you see in the screen shot (note the green box) selecting anything in the green box else also causes MPC to crash, even at 1080p, when playing a 4K video clip.
I have what is in the red box checked off, but I don't if that has anything to do with it.

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj623/jeffr15/NVIDIA_zpsoicapyzz.png

This is just with a 3860 x 2160p video clip, so at this time it's not that important that I get this to work, plus the fact if I run the video card at 1080p and let the image scale from it's native resolution and then have the projector scale it back to 3860 x 2160p, it still looks absolutely beautiful.
The projector does such an excellent job of scaling, that it makes very little difference when choosing a player that can actually play the clip in it's native resolution.

SVP is also set at 1920 x 800 _ should I be setting that at 3860 x 2160p ?
Thanks.  smile

4 (edited by Jeff R 1 01-08-2015 00:33:27)

Chainik wrote:

4K is always about memory usage.
Just save the memory and you'll be fine wink

When you mean memory usage are you taking about video RAM or MoBo RAM ?
I can certainly add more MoBo RAM _ I'm running 8GB now...
But I thought SVP/MPC-HC is limited to 4GB with the patch ?

So if 4GB is enough, then the HTPC must be using more then 4GB just to run itself ???

5 (edited by 4onejr 01-08-2015 08:53:08)

I have had very similar problems though accomplished through different means, and it happened that johnny's fix worked thankfully. Do you happen to have Windows 10 installed? I am not an expert by any means, but I had recently found a peculiarity after about an hour or so of simple testing. It seems that any file I downloaded after my instillation of Windows 10 almost immediately crashed MPC-HC, while files downloaded before hand did not cause this problem. After changing NVIDIA CUVID to DXVA native, this problem seems to no longer exist. Could it be a problem with CUVID and Windows 10? I don't know let's leave that to the experts to figure out.

Upon Further Investigation it appears CUVID does have problems with Windows 10 http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2659

6 (edited by Jeff R 1 01-08-2015 15:30:17)

I'm not touching W10 on my HTPC until I know it works _ sound like a can of worms _ plus there doesn't seem to be a way to shut off Windows update. There is nothing more annoying than having the computer restart right in the middle of a movie or a message flashing across the screen that windows is installing/installed updates and it needs restarting.
SVP 4 works better with a 4K video though on this Dell Alienware laptop I have W10 installed on, it pushes the CPU to only 62% where it was at 100% with 3.1.7.

I won't be trouble shooting too much with 4K videos as there is really no content yet, but I thought I would bring it up.
Plus any trouble shooting would have to be performed on my 4K projector and I'm not about to eat lamp hours doing that _ I may have to get a 4K monitor, but since UHD Blu-ray isn't scheduled to be released until the end of the year, I'm not going to worry about for  now.
I just need Chainik to explain what he means by "save the memory" a bit more.

There's the release of W10, the new SVP4 and potential driver incompatibility problems with both _ all happening at once _ too may variables to deal with.
I'll stick with W8.1 until SVP 4 is ironed out, make sure it works and then I may jump to W10 _ maybe.
But there is still that stupid update problem in W10.

And Chainik, the Dell I'm on now as 8GB of memory, with a 4K video it's using less then 2 GB with SVP4

what settings are these? Casuse mpc hc with madVR and ffdshow crashes when i press play on a 4k hdr movie.

Use 64-bit MPC-HC.
Otherwise you may need to reduce number of processing threads in SVP down to 9 or even more (I haven't tried it with 10-bit 4K in 32-bit MPC-HC)