Topic: MPC-HC crashes on avi,mov,mp4 but not on wmv Windows 10

Hey!

I just upgraded my windows to windows 10 and now everytime i want to use svp with mpc my mpc crashes. Im using the full package SVP 3.1.7 (32-bit) and install all addons like reclock and stuff and configered everything. It worked before now its just crashing. Anyone have an idea how to fix this or is there i way i can debug it so i can check why its crashing?

Re: MPC-HC crashes on avi,mov,mp4 but not on wmv Windows 10

Does MPC-HC crash when SVP is closed?

3 (edited by thomasedv 29-07-2015 22:31:17)

Hi,

Also go the same problem. Upgraded and upon running SVP MPC crashes. Crashes on -mkv and .mp4 but they are the only ones i have tested. Have a Nvidia GPU and am currently updating to the windows 10 version to see if that changes anything.

Edit: Just some more information. Reinstalled both SVP and MPC-HC but it did not fix the problem. SVP also works with .wmv files for me, but not other files that i have mentioned. Updating the Nvidia driver did not do anything either.

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

Does MPC-HC crash when SVP is closed?

Not him, but no. It becomes unresponsive as soon as SVP opens up and you get the text in the corner of the video signifying that it's doing it's job. Sound plays for a few seconds but the screen freezes, If you try to skip with the slider, it moves the first time(no sounds or video reaction though) and then it freezes. Works completely fine without SVP.

thomasedv
Yep same here.

6 (edited by thomasedv 29-07-2015 23:13:25)

Update:

So, i think i got it to work. Doesn't crash anymore. Though i'm not exactly sure what i did. I went here http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVP:MPC-HC and changed this to look like instructed. (Not sure what it was before the W10 install so it might have affected it, i don't know) The thing i changed was the one under internal filter, that was wrong. Though i did a test and it crashed. I'm not sure what i did afterwards, i think i went into the ffdshow filter. (You do that by clicking on the highlighted/marked button in the bottom image on the linked page.) Under "Keys and remote" i changed the bottom check from "ffdshow_remote_message" to "user defined" and used the value present there already (32786) I honestly have no idea what it does by changing that, but i read about it somewhere else and thought it might help me not having to run SVP as administrator for it to recognize and work on videos opened through another program, though i haven't checked if it actually did what i intended it to do... (Taiga is the program for anyone wondering)

I think that was all i did, but i'm not sure if it was my actions that took care of it. But it seems to work now.

If i disable LAV Video Decoder in external filters it works fine for me.

Update:

So, i think i got it to work. Doesn't crash anymore. Though i'm not exactly sure what i did. I went here http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVP:MPC-HC and changed this to look like instructed. (Not sure what it was before the W10 install so it might have affected it, i don't know) The thing i changed was the one under internal filter, that was wrong. Though i did a test and it crashed. I'm not sure what i did afterwards, i think i went into the ffdshow filter. (You do that by clicking on the highlighted/marked button in the bottom image on the linked page.) Under "Keys and remote" i changed the bottom check from "ffdshow_remote_message" to "user defined" and used the value present there already (32786) I honestly have no idea what it does by changing that, but i read about it somewhere else and thought it might help me not having to run SVP as administrator for it to recognize and work on videos opened through another program, though i haven't checked if it actually did what i intended it to do... (Taiga is the program for anyone wondering)

I think that was all i did, but i'm not sure if it was my actions that took care of it. But it seems to work now.

Cheers for this solved my problem, seems lav filters - nvidia cuvid setting has issues in Windows 10 with current drivers.

stereoman wrote:

Update:

Cheers for this solved my problem, seems lav filters - nvidia cuvid setting has issues in Windows 10 with current drivers.

For some reason this isn't working for me. :S

10 (edited by indy 30-07-2015 03:25:00)

Changing the internal decoder to DXVA2 solved the problem for me, BUT Cuvid gave me MUCH BETTER video quality!!!!! So hopefully a new MPC-HC version will work with both Cuvid and Win10...
64 bit version of mpc-hc will work with cuvid, but I believe madvr only works with 32 bit...

It sounds like CUDA problem in NVIDIA driver. And here the method to repair disabled CUDA:
Restore CUDA in the latest nVIDIA Drivers 34x.xx

Try it. Post here If it help you.

Same problem here.

Obviously this's NVs driver issue - it hangs when tries to serve two simultaneous computation threads.
In this case - LAV CUVID + SVP with GPU acceleration on.
Both combinations - "LAV/DXVA + SVP/GPU" and "LAV/CUVID + SVP/CPU" works, while "LAV/CUVID + SVP/GPU" hangs.

Didn't work with the cuda drivers. Currently running the lasted NVIDIA 353.62 driver, and that doesn't support CUDA sad DXVA Video quality is no comparison to cuvid...anybody know of some other options, except for using an old nvidia video driver.

Here with GPU acceleration it just freezes. Without it plays fine, but BSOD's after a while playing, even with SVP disabled / closed. The BSOD log says something about Watchdog Driver, bug check code 0x00000119.

Indeed, disabling CUVID works. Thanks! Just have to wait for updated drivers is suppose.

Cuvid works on the 64bit version of mpc-hc, as well as other players, just not 32bit mpc-hc. Unfortunately, svp doesn't support the 64 bit version. I hope there is a fix coming soon, not sure if I can live with the current quality...

Just temp disable GPU acceleration, fixed it for me wink

sausje
It's much better to switch to DXVA decoder mode

No problems for me running latest Nvidia drivers 353.62, Windows 10 pro on a gtx 970. GPU Open Cl enabled on SVP, no DXVA on ANY settings in Madvr, and amazed to find that the GPU is still taking the full brunt of the software processing (JINC, NNDEI) (if that makes any sense?). My i3-4160 CPU hovers at around 50-60% playing large bitrate 1080p files, even with all the maximum settings.
I think Windows 10 is actually doing some good work in the background!

CUVID is disabled in the lastest windows 10 Nvidia drivers....they are planning on using NVENC as the next API for encoding/decoding...

xenius wrote:

Indeed, disabling CUVID works. Thanks! Just have to wait for updated drivers is suppose.

21 (edited by xenius 31-07-2015 16:51:33)

johnnys wrote:

CUVID is disabled in the lastest windows 10 Nvidia drivers....they are planning on using NVENC as the next API for encoding/decoding...

xenius wrote:

Well all i did was change my internal video decoders to FFmpeg instead of NVIDIA Cuda Decoder. Thats was the problem for me why my player crashed. Im also using the newest nvidia drivers 353.62.

Can also anyone give me an example to begin with to configuring madvr. I've tried some settings but i don't really see much of a difference tbh big_smile Atleast  not in low res bad quality videos

Im using a i5 2500k at 4.5k with 8gb of ram on a GTX 970.

Atm these are my settings:
Chroma upscaling: NNEDI3 128 
Image doubling: always use 128 luma & chroma double
Image upscaling: Lanczos 3 taps ARF
Image downscaling: Catmull-Rom ARF

Smooth motion: only if there would be jitter without
Dithering: option 2

These are the settings I use after new upgrade to Windows 10 Pro and I also have a GTX 970. And to point out I am using the K-lite Codec Mega Pack, nothing else.
Latest Nvidia Drivers 353.62. I must say that these are the best ever settings I have achieved yet and my CPU is only a dual core i3-4160. My CPU usage doesn't jump above
50% usage with Win 10, when using Win 8.1 Pro my CPU hovered between 60-70% when playing large bitrate 1080p content.

Scaling algorithms:
Chroma upscaling: NNDED13 256 neurons (activate Superes filter)
Image downscaling: Spline 3 taps
Image doubling: Everything unchecked
Image upscaling: Jinc
Upscaling refinement: Everything unchecked

Rendering:
General settings: Everything unchecked
windowed mode settings: Everything left at default
Smoothmotion: Unchecked
Dithering: Ordered Dithering
Trade quality for performance: Everything Unchecked

GPU Acceleration (Open CL) is ticked in SVP. Huge performance increase.

MPC-HC:
Internal Fitlers:LAV decoder: Cuvid (I actually don't know if this is being used as I have DXVA Native selected in external LAV Video Decoder)
External: ffdshow raw video filter,  LAV Video Decoder

xenius wrote:
johnnys wrote:

xenius wrote:

Well all i did was change my internal video decoders to FFmpeg instead of NVIDIA Cuda Decoder. Thats was the problem for me why my player crashed. Im also using the newest nvidia drivers 353.62.

Can also anyone give me an example to begin with to configuring madvr. I've tried some settings but i don't really see much of a difference tbh big_smile Atleast  not in low res bad quality videos

Im using a i5 2500k at 4.5k with 8gb of ram on a GTX 970.

Atm these are my settings:
Chroma upscaling: NNEDI3 128 
Image doubling: always use 128 luma & chroma double
Image upscaling: Lanczos 3 taps ARF
Image downscaling: Catmull-Rom ARF

Smooth motion: only if there would be jitter without
Dithering: option 2

Hi all, I experienced this issue (MPC-HC freezes soon after starting playback if GPU acceleration is active).
It seems that nVidia has removed CUDA support from the Win10 driver.

Simple solution: Download and install the CUDA developer package from https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads.

You can then use full GPU acceleration.
I unchecked the Samples and the Visual Studio Integration during installation to save space.
Hope this helps someone else experiencing the same.