Topic: Ffdshow Problem: No AviSynth filter available (slow playback)

Is there something wrong with my installation? Everytime I want to play a video with "Smooth motion" support I have to reconfigure the "ffdshow raw video" filter after the playback started.
In the "ffdshow raw filter" properties window there is a "Show/hide filters" section (Reachable in MPC-HC through: <right click>->Filters->
ffdshow raw video filter>Properties...). In this section you can find two lists. One empty list called "Available filters" and another list called "Visible filters". I have to
put the "AViSynth" filter from the "Visible filters"-list to the "Available filters"-list. Otherwise I get very laggy output - It looks like smooth motion - with that
"SVP ...slow performance (SVP index: 0.63 - 0.80)" message on the OSD. There is no such problem with the "AviSynth" filter in the "Available filters" list. I get smooth playback
with a SVP index of around 1.0*.

I also configured the "ffdhsow raw video filter" in MPC-HC while no video file is beeing played (Under Options->External Filters->ffdshow raw video filter). The "AviSynth" and
another filter I choosed appear on the "Available filters" list - even if MPV-HC is restarted. If SVP is beeing initialized it looks like the list gets overwritten and SVP runs with very bad performance.

Re: Ffdshow Problem: No AviSynth filter available (slow playback)

Waldgeist
I have to put the "AViSynth" filter from the "Visible filters"-list to the "Available filters"-list. Otherwise I get very laggy output
It is very strange. It shouldn't to be.
Can you show your filter's list while playback? Take screenshot of menu: MPC-HC - Play- Filters

MAG79 wrote:

Waldgeist
[...]
Can you show your filter's list while playback? Take screenshot of menu: MPC-HC - Play- Filters

Thank you very much for you reply. I had a little problem with the "Snipping Tool" and used "Copy filters to clipboard" instead. Here is the filters list from "MPC-HC - Play - Filters":

Filters currently loaded:
  - Default DirectSound Device
  - Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)
  - Audio Switcher
  - ffdshow raw video filter
  - LAV Audio Decoder (internal)
  - LAV Video Decoder (internal)
  - LAV Splitter Source (internal)

You could have just used your keyboard's "Print Screen" key...

5 (edited by mashingan 30-06-2015 23:53:04)

Waldgeist wrote:

Here is the filters list from "MPC-HC - Play - Filters":

Filters currently loaded:
  - Default DirectSound Device
  - Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)
  - Audio Switcher
  - ffdshow raw video filter
  - LAV Audio Decoder (internal)
  - LAV Video Decoder (internal)
  - LAV Splitter Source (internal)

Maybe you can choose different setting?

In my case, I don't add ffdshow raw video filter as external filter but instead I just enable Raw video to be processed by ffdshow.
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=3509

Post's attachments

ffdshow and mpc-hc.png 141.9 kb, 190 downloads since 2015-06-30 

Waldgeist
Avisynth must be in visible filters list in ffdShow. Otherwize SVP can't work with it. So you need for some tuning and customizations.

Thank you for filters list. I see now. What you can do to get smooth playback:
1. Enable HW decoding. Click on LAV video decoder in filter list while playback. What you see in the line 'Active decoder' in Hadrware Acceleration settings?
Select CUVID or DXVA2 (copy-back).
2. Enable D3D FullScreen. You are using renderer EVR (custom presenter). It can show jerks in some cases. To make playback more smoothly go to the MPC menu: Options... - Output - Enable option D3D Fullscreen - OK. Reopen video, switch to fullscreen mode (alt-enter).

"SVP ...slow performance (SVP index: 0.63 - 0.80)" message on the OSD
It is mean CPU load or GPU load are close to 100%. SVP settings are too hard to you configuration.
3. General advise is to reset profiles: SVP - Video profiles... - Reset to defauls - OK - Yes.

4. If problem still here can you look to CPU load value (in SVP Performance Graphs window or in Task Manager) and GPU load (in GPU-Z)?

mashingan

I changed my configuration to reflect the behaviour you just introduced to me. I also had to adjust the "AviSynth" Format in that configuration window. It was set to disabled.

MAG79

HW decoding is already enabled. This is what I see while playing back a video file:

Hardware Decoder to use:
[NVIDIA CUVID ] Active
Active decoder: cuvid

"D3D Fullscreen" is also already enabled.

Here are some interesting observations:

If I put "AviSynth"  on the Available-filters list in the "Show/hide filters"-ffdshow decoder configuration window while playing back a video I have an average CPU workload of 20%. If I do nothing it is about 45%.

Waldgeist
45% with SVP processing and 20% - without SVP. roll
You can check it by disapearing of SVP Tearing test line (orange moving line over video).
Press while playback Ctlr-Win-T, you will see the moving line. It is mean SVP is working. Then hide avisynth filter in ffdShow. Do you still see the moving line?

Waldgeist
If I put "AviSynth"  on the Available-filters list in the "Show/hide filters"-ffdshow decoder configuration window while playing back a video I have an average CPU workload of 20%. If I do nothing it is about 45%.

Do you have latest NVIDIA driver?
If yes, have you enabled the CUDA?

MAG79 has already pointed when someone experienced bad playback in this post.

Btw, getting ~45% when playback using SVP is pretty much normal in my case.
Without SVP, it downs to maximal 20% (usually 13%-17%), when using DXVA it's only 2-3%

10 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 01-07-2015 17:21:10)

MAG79 wrote:

Select CUVID or DXVA2 (copy-back).

I must recommend against doing this - another user on this very forum was recently having problems with high CPU load until he switched from CUVID to DXVA2 (copy-back).  In my experience Intel QuickSync is a better alternative if you need such a thing.

Relevant thread in question:
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2589