1 (edited by Genki 21-09-2014 22:42:54)

Topic: So I just got SVPlayer, Help; not working, only audio.

As the title says, from the start, any video I try to play only plays the audio but no video.

I installed using the full installer 3.1.6 bundled with MPC.

I am really exited about finding out about this software bundle, since I could care less about hi10p for my anime when it plays like a freaking frameshow >< But my joy is postponed for now with no video. Not even a blank or black screen, MPC literally only shows the 'playbar' or what ever that's called; and nothing else as if it was a music player only.  sad

P.s. I un-installed my previous installations of codecs, madvr, lav filters, and kawaii codec pack. Hoping this software will be made better and fixed to work.
And I might as well ask, can I use this while still watching anime in hi10p with MadVR ?

p.p.s. I also happen to notice that when I close the player, and then open it again, it starts playing where I left it off. I find that annoying already, how do I disable that ?

EDITED UPDATE with additional information:

Additional information

Last processed file parameters:
Filename: [brosubs]_Black_Rock_Shooter_-_01_[BD.720p][88EDCFD5].mkv
Frame size and frame rate: 1280x720 pixels, 23.976 fps

Detected screen parameters
Screen size and refresh rate: 1920x1080 pixels, 59.999 Hz

Video smoothing info
Smooth factor: 2:1
Resulting video frame rate: 47.952 fps
Repeat 12 frames every sec

Selected profile: 1280x720@24

Profile settings of video processing
[ExMethod=MSmoothFps_0]        Frames interpolation mode: Uniform (max smoothness)
[ExAlgo=2]            SVP shader: 2. Sharp (for anime)
[ExMulti=2:1:2]            Target frame rate: Double source frame rate (2x)
[ExBlockSize=16x16:2]        Motion vectors grid: 12 px. Average 2 (default)
[ExRecalc=250:0]        Decrease grid step: By two with global refinemen
[TypeDist=Exh:-10:SATD]        Search radius: Average (default)
[ExPel=2]            Motion vectors precision: Half pixel (default)
[Badsad=2000:-24]        Wide search: Strongest
[ExSadml=0]            Artifacts masking: Disabled (default)
[ExBlend=false]            Processing of scene changes: Repeat frame (default)
[ExDwnResize=0]            Decrease frame size: Disabled (default)

Settings by menu
[svp_libflowgpu=1]        GPU-acceleration (OpenCL): true
[ExThreads=0]            Processing threads: Auto
[StereoMode=0]            Stereo mode (3D): Plain 2D
[AutoCrop=1]            Auto crop black bars: true [detecting...]
[HandCrop=None]            Frame crop: Disabled
[Borderlight=None]        Outer lighting: Disabled
[VDelay=0]            Video delay: 0 ms
[ExDemo=0]            Demonstration mode: false
[ExTearingTest=0]        Tearing test: false
[StopSmoothDelayOnRewind=1]    Turn off on seek: Turn off by 1 sec

system specs

Core i5 @3.3ghz
Nvidia gtx770
Windows 7 x64 (64bit)
8gb corsair @1600mhz

And lastly, the online guide shows this panel for tweaking:
http://www.svp-team.com/w/images/6/68/Anime-4.png

But I only have 4 total options showing...So the online guide is not accurate and I can't follow it.

p.s. spoiler codes could be handy having enabled if possible.

Re: So I just got SVPlayer, Help; not working, only audio.

Genki
when I close the player, and then open it again, it starts playing where I left it off. I find that annoying already, how do I disable that ?
MPC-HC - View - Options - Player - History - uncheck Remember file position

I only have 4 total options showing
You need to change interface type. SVP tray menu - Interface type - Expert

If you play video in MPC-HC without SVP do you see any picture?

3 (edited by Genki 22-09-2014 22:30:07)

MAG79
Ok, thanks, unchecked remember file position.

K, that also taken care of, someone should update the online guide with more pertinent information about this btw.

I'm not sure, how do I try that ? Is that the same as just going to profile and select Frames interpolation mode 'Off' ? If so, then I tried that, and no difference.

Also, what about playing in hi10p ? Do  I have to make the choice between this and hi10p ? Or could I enjoy both ?

Bump...~?

It's pretty "debilitating" not having a screen to look at when trying to play videos. Are you not going to address it in maybe a new patch, hotfix something? Or some kind of troublshooting ? Someone here knowns this program well enough I would think to fix or bypass any obvious glitches/bugs.

Genki
I'm not sure, how do I try that ?

exit SVP Manager

Chainik wrote:

Genki
I'm not sure, how do I try that ?

exit SVP Manager

Okay tried that, exactly the same.

so it's not SVP related issue
you need to figure out first what a mess you've made in your system before

8 (edited by Genki 27-09-2014 09:01:20)

Chainik wrote:

Well off course it should be. And I never had any mess/issues before.

This problem only happened with the software I've gotten from SVP after all. That's pretty tell tell, this issue clearly stems from that.
I've been using MPC for years and never had this issue.

I even don't installing full package and I can still play it fine. I'm using K-Lite codec pack and I even updating lav filter, ffdshow, vsfilter/xy-vsfilter, etc. which come together in bundle pack and I still can play it fine.

I even encode the video into HEVC and have no problem when playing it.

First of all, you can play 10-bit precision anime video well even using SVP. So there's no need to differentiate it.

2nd, do you reboot your system after uninstalling the older codecs? Installing codecs usually fiddles with registry, so the best (or more like the safer) option is to reboot your system.

3rd, check your configuration setting, where did you mess it? You can't hide behind standard packaged configuration anymore when you want most of your codec packs. KCP is good, but only for beginner and it's very limited. That goes same with CCCP. Those two codecs even don't install ffdshow.

Additional  smile , don't use the guide in help for setting anime big_smile the best setting is the default or about that
I tried the guide for anime setting and I got worse than my default setting big_smile

So, uninstall every codecs related to the video, reboot your system, and install again with default configuration. If the problem persists, change some setting and see what the difference.

Btw, what's your output setting in MPC? madvr? EVR CP?

10 (edited by Genki 04-10-2014 10:55:10)

mashingan wrote:

I even don't installing full package and I can still play it fine. I'm using K-Lite codec pack and I even updating lav filter, ffdshow, vsfilter/xy-vsfilter, etc. which come together in bundle pack and I still can play it fine.

I even encode the video into HEVC and have no problem when playing it.

First of all, you can play 10-bit precision anime video well even using SVP. So there's no need to differentiate it.

2nd, do you reboot your system after uninstalling the older codecs? Installing codecs usually fiddles with registry, so the best (or more like the safer) option is to reboot your system.

3rd, check your configuration setting, where did you mess it? You can't hide behind standard packaged configuration anymore when you want most of your codec packs. KCP is good, but only for beginner and it's very limited. That goes same with CCCP. Those two codecs even don't install ffdshow.

Additional  smile , don't use the guide in help for setting anime big_smile the best setting is the default or about that
I tried the guide for anime setting and I got worse than my default setting big_smile

So, uninstall every codecs related to the video, reboot your system, and install again with default configuration. If the problem persists, change some setting and see what the difference.

Btw, what's your output setting in MPC? madvr? EVR CP?

Well I could play everytihng fine too before. And I always try to avoid things getting mixed up, so I uninstalled everything before installing SVP's pack.

Sure it plays IN 10bit ? just because it plays something that is in 10-bit doesn't mean it's being played as it should in 10-bit. If your familiar with how to check whether it plays properly in 10-bit or not you might already know that. In  madvr's guide yyou can I think it was check with ctrl-j and check if it is actually playing in 10bit or not.  I don't know the "code" my memory but recognize it when I see it.

I can't remember if I rebooted immediately after but I'm bound to have done it a few times since then by now I would think.

3rd I haven't messed anything, everything was default and installed as per SVP pack. Nothing else, only what I got from the SVP pack.

Output is madvr by default.

It seems rather stupid that it's like this when everything is as it is from the package, and it plays without any screen. Everything is as default as can be, short of reformatting, which I may happen to even do at some point in the not too distant future.

Genki
Output is madvr by default.

so change it to anything else

12 (edited by mashingan 06-10-2014 23:42:54)

Genki wrote:

Sure it plays IN 10bit ? just because it plays something that is in 10-bit doesn't mean it's being played as it should in 10-bit.

My bad. It can play the 10-bit video but the output automatically in 8-bit precision.
You could make the output to 10-bit by changing the decoder from LAV to libavcodec (ffdshow). Although from my finding it will make huge memory penalty.

You could manually change the ffdshow setting.
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=3254&amp;download=0

e.g. I played using LAV decoder takes memory about 600-750 mb, when I changed it too ffdshow decoder, it became 800-1000 mb.

While 8/10-bit precision is about encoding efficiency, the 8/10-bit output about the color matrix. Since I couldn't sure how to differentiate the color precision, I opted use LAV decoder (it's lighter than libavcodec too  big_smile )

You could forcefully to display in 10-bit by changing the output setting too smile
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=3256&amp;download=0
Although the 8-bit video will be displayed in 10-bit too big_smile. But honestly I couldn't really spot the difference

Post's attachments

ffdshow setting 1.png, 81.76 kb, 568 x 479
ffdshow setting 1.png 81.76 kb, 578 downloads since 2014-10-06 

ffdshow setting 2.png, 67.68 kb, 568 x 479
ffdshow setting 2.png 67.68 kb, 577 downloads since 2014-10-06 

13 (edited by mashingan 07-10-2014 02:33:20)

This is when I use libavcodec when playing it
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=3258

1. It works fine with output in 10-bit
2. Need to disable LAV decoder in order libavcodec to work.
3. Enable libavcodec in ffdshow setting.
4. The svp manager works fine too.
==========================================
Back to topic, I think the inability to display the video is laid in renderer.

There's a high chance that some of broken filter in registry. And it's take higher priority than renderer from SVP.

If you're using K-Lite, there's a tweak tool that fixes that. It can detect and remove the broken filter, and re-register the DirectShow
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=3259

Post's attachments

fixes.png, 45.72 kb, 544 x 438
fixes.png 45.72 kb, 547 downloads since 2014-10-06 

hi10p.jpg 483.56 kb, 197 downloads since 2014-10-06 

14 (edited by Genki 09-01-2015 10:15:05)

mashingan wrote:

[...]

First of all, a thank you for all your efforts you put out in order to help. Lots of information in your posts I can look over again at later times as well if I find myself configuring stuff in regards to hi10p. Though I don't have too much time left if any to keep trying with this software bundle. So going back to the roots of the issue I simply came back to reaffirm that the issue must lie with the software bundle after finding time for some further testing as seen in my reply just below.

Chainik wrote:

Okay, back to the roots here. I knew very well that I didn't have any mess and that it was a problem with your software bundle. Now I've also confirmed this by testing it out on a brand fresh install in virtualbox and seeing the exact same thing happen. That would settle the matter I would think.

Bundle installed at all it's default settings and all. And that's how it is brand new, "right out of the box".

Genki
as you said - back to the roots then

MPC literally only shows the 'playbar' or what ever that's called; and nothing else as if it was a music player only

I believe this means video decoder was unable to decode video stream.
- Check "File" -> "Properties" windows in MPC-HC. There should be Video stream on "Details" tab and correct information on MediaInfo tab.
- Check if MPC-HC's internal LAV filters is in use.
- Update MPC-HC to the latest version.

And a few words about "hi10p". It's NOT a "video precision" in any way, it's just encoder option allowing h264 encoder to compress color gradients better. As a side effect it requires additional color space conversion after decoding.
BUT keep in mind that source video (before compression) is always 8-bit, and you're playing it on LCD panel with probably 6-bit precision. There's always a "color compression" from 10-bit to 8 or 6-bit somewhere - may be in video decoder, may be in video renderer, may be in the video card plus additional compression in LCD panel.
So trying hard "to view 10-bit as 10-bit" is just pointless. There's actually NO 10-bit big_smile

And making setup with "hi10p decoder" + "SVP or any other postprocessing working in 8-bit" + "hi10p output in madVR" is even stupider.

To maximum save color gradients in Hi10p video with SVP after few experiments I came to these LAV Filters settings:
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=3313

LAV Filters did dithering very fine and SVP works with maximum quality. These settings gives me no banding with Hi10p video and SVP.

Post's attachments

LAV_Hi10p_settings.png, 42.97 kb, 615 x 445
LAV_Hi10p_settings.png 42.97 kb, 550 downloads since 2015-01-09 

17 (edited by Genki 13-01-2015 18:08:05)

Chainik wrote:

Genki
as you said - back to the roots then

MPC literally only shows the 'playbar' or what ever that's called; and nothing else as if it was a music player only

I believe this means video decoder was unable to decode video stream.
- Check "File" -> "Properties" windows in MPC-HC. There should be Video stream on "Details" tab and correct information on MediaInfo tab.
- Check if MPC-HC's internal LAV filters is in use.
- Update MPC-HC to the latest version.

-Had a look at those properties, nothing special about it that I could see with it. Along with some standard file information.
-Don't know how to really check that, but I looked through all the tabs in the options and found not even a mention or trace of that.
-Installed the newest version of MPC, no difference ofc. Since that won't change the underlining SVP.

p.s. Regarding Hi10p I never knew what's truly up with that, I just heard it very hyped by others. I'll have to push hi10p back on the backburner anyway for now, with other things coming before it in priority.

18 (edited by James D 14-01-2015 10:44:34)

It's sad to see that someone tried but still didn't get all pros of 60f playback feature.

When I install SVP bundle I never include madVR render installation. In fact I also don't use MPC in the first place and use Daum Potplyer which obviously you don't want to do.
I also assume that you use 32 bit MPC player from SVP bundle, followed setting up instruction for MPC here http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVP:MPC-HC and especially checked that ffdshow raw video filter is set to Prefer.
http://www.svp-team.com/w/images/4/46/Mpchc-external.png

You can try to post pictures of your settings in MPC to see if someone finds smth wrong there.

19 (edited by Genki 14-01-2015 12:27:08)

James D I never included any of that madVR or anything else either, that would defy I bit of the point of letting things be at default settings, so I've just let it install as is from the bundle with everything the way it is at default. Also yes, everything default included the MPC from the bundle that's 32bit.

I checked those settings and the only differ I found was that hardware decoder to use was the same for me as in the picture above posted by Mag79 i.e. NVIDA CUVID. I tried changing that to DXVA2 (copy-back) as the settings you linked to instructed. But it hasn't changed anything.

As it is, the bundle just isn't working so well by default in that it doesn't show the image of the video by default, and no amount of the advice or tweaking from here has been able change that to this point. Yeah it is sorta sad. But for now I've just uninstalled the whole bundle and installed MPC by itself so I can at least watch stuff, perhaps when this project reaches a later maturity in some future I can check it out again. For now, I'll just use my time for some other things instead.  cool

Genki
I've just uninstalled the whole bundle and installed MPC by itself

so just install SVP Core w/o all other stuff and add "ffdshow raw filter" yourself

Chainik wrote:

Genki
I've just uninstalled the whole bundle and installed MPC by itself

so just install SVP Core w/o all other stuff and add "ffdshow raw filter" yourself

I see, I can do that and get it to do the same thing. Well I might be a bit tempted to try that then. But is there a lot of manual tweaking or settings I need to take care of if I do it that way ?

http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVP:MPC-HC

23 (edited by Genki 14-01-2015 13:08:58)

Ah, the same as James quoted above as well, that's relatively easy, I don't mind giving it a shot then. Though SVP core refuses to install even after ffdshow has been installed, requiring more components so your suggestion must be lacking a bit when suggesting I can install just SVPcore and ffdshow w/o all the other stuff. As it is it just aborts the install.

It's obvious that all required 3rd party components should be installed in advance.
You can find the list of these components on the Download page under "Third party packages" -> "Required packages".

Step 1. Watch video. If it plays proceed to install Net framework update.
Step 2. Watch video. If it still plays proceed to install latest ffdshow clsid now.
Step 3. Watch video. If it plays, install Avisynth. That's the tricky part here. SVP requires here special modded version of avisynth called MT. This modded dll file is installed from SVP bundle however it is not if you install official 2.5 version. I believe this file should be in the SVP download page. Perhaps it is but I don't see it roll I suggest you to download Avisynth 2.6 Alpha 5 (or latter) and then put this dll file into windows/syswow64 https://www.dropbox.com/s/6f56nvqvxrde2 … 0130928.7z
Step 4. Watch your video. If it plays proceed to setting up your player.
Step 5. Watch your video.

If it fails once at least you know where lies the problem.