Topic: Auto-crop over-cropping

Here's a video file
http://www.spiritualselftransformation. … k%2008.mpg

The new auto-crop feature is over-cropping this video, both at the top and the bottom.

Re: Auto-crop over-cropping

You can get 4 different crop borders on this video.

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=3161

Auto Crop option uses several seconds of video to detect borders. After moment when crop is applied borders detection stops to work.
To get right border detected use Auto Crop disable/enable hotkey Ctrl-Shift-C and enable it at position in your file what you need.
Logo at black borders is cropped in any case (see borders #4).

Post's attachments

AutoCrop_borders_ani.gif, 195.07 kb, 400 x 418
AutoCrop_borders_ani.gif 195.07 kb, 608 downloads since 2014-04-21 

I wondered why sometimes my live TV capture setup was cutting off a load of the image at the top and bottom of the screen....turns out that depending on what is on the screen when the video stream starts it'll decide the cropping based on that.

Ah... the over-cropping only happens when the file position is later in the video when it opens up. Otherwise the intro prevents cropping.

Even then, that doesn't explain over-cropping where I'm losing a portion of the top of the video.

In any cases, auto-cropping could be improved. What if you were to auto-detect when opening, and then check a frame every few seconds to make sure the cropping decision is still good? It's also common to have an intro that takes the full screen, then afterwards the video needs cropping, so ideally it could detect that.

oviano
sometimes my live TV capture setup was cutting off a load of the image at the top and bottom of the screen
To prevent cutting if you use SVP and don't use outer lighting or SVPlight then you can disable Auto crop black bars option from SVP tray menu - Frame crop.

Mystery
Thank you for the suggestion. To save smooth video effect at whole video SVP applies crop borders only once when playback starts. We will think about improving this moment.

MAG79 wrote:

oviano
sometimes my live TV capture setup was cutting off a load of the image at the top and bottom of the screen
To prevent cutting if you use SVP and don't use outer lighting or SVPlight then you can disable Auto crop black bars option from SVP tray menu - Frame crop.

Great, thanks.

I also have a video that has a line of encoding artifacts at the very top of a large black bar. Normally, that should be cropped, but because of the artifacts at the very top, it didn't.

Mystery
You can use double crop for this video: Auto crop black bars + By four pixel on each side.

After playing with cropping for a while, I have to say I like the ability to choose when to decide where to crop on videos where cropping would be different with or without subtitles. The computer can't make this decision for me, it's really a personal choice. So in that case, there's no need to re-invent the wheel.

Still a few tweaks that would make it better.

Instead of having to de-activate and re-activate to select the cropping frame (with 2x CTRL+SHIFT+C), there could be an easier shortcut to calculate cropping based on the current frame. Such as pressing C.

And when there are large borders and a tiny line of encoding artifacts, artifact noise should be discarted when calculating cropping.