Topic: High CPU Usage with SVP?

Hey guys,

I have my SVP set up according to Maken's guide exactly, except that I'm using madVR instead of EVR as the video render.

My CPU is a 2500K, overclocked to 4.5GHz and my GPU is a GTX680, both very powerful.

When playing 1080p movies, my CPU can sometimes reach 70% load, usually it's at the mid 50%, my GPU load is usually at 35% which I'm ok with.

I tried using it with EVR and the CPU usage remained the same, so it must be something with the SVP Manager settings I guess.

I am not sure if this is normal or not and maybe there are some settings I should change? I am using the default settings which were selected by SVP when I installed it.

Using SVP 3.1.5

Thanks

Re: High CPU Usage with SVP?

if you use default settings then its normal
I have 2550k@4800 and GTX650TiBoost, and I have about 65% CPU load and 45% GPU load

Hey Rimsky, thanks for the reply.

What are you checking load with? Windows Task Manager or SVP Manager/RealTemp etc...

For some reason I noticed that Windows 8.1 reads my CPU usage much higher than RealTemp/SVP Manager.

If I get 50-60% usage with RT/SVP, Windows shows 80-90% for some reason.

Also, can you post your SVP settings so that I can compare the load with my CPU?

Thanks smile

Zachn
windows 7 x64
performance graph in SVP
default 5G settings

Thanks, can you also share a screenshot of your actual SVP settings on your Active Profile window?

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=2937

its not clear 5G, I am testing settings now

Post's attachments

Буфер обмена02.jpg, 213.75 kb, 496 x 711
Буфер обмена02.jpg 213.75 kb, 565 downloads since 2013-12-10 

7 (edited by Jeff R 1 10-12-2013 17:47:02)

Zachn wrote:

Hey guys,

I have my SVP set up according to Maken's guide exactly, except that I'm using madVR instead of EVR as the video render.

My CPU is a 2500K, overclocked to 4.5GHz and my GPU is a GTX680, both very powerful.

When playing 1080p movies, my CPU can sometimes reach 70% load, usually it's at the mid 50%, my GPU load is usually at 35% which I'm ok with.

I tried using it with EVR and the CPU usage remained the same, so it must be something with the SVP Manager settings I guess.

I am not sure if this is normal or not and maybe there are some settings I should change? I am using the default settings which were selected by SVP when I installed it.

Using SVP 3.1.5

Thanks

Zachn, how are you playing your 1080p movies, I found that I have to convert my Blu-rays into MKV files and then they will work with Potplayer ? It would be great if I could find a way to play the ISO's or the movie directly with out having to convert them. Thanks for any help here.  smile

8 (edited by Zachn 10-12-2013 17:58:18)

Just got what 5G means smile Thanks for the settings, can you explain why you changed "Frame Interpolation Mode" and "Motion Vectors Grid"?

Jeff, I am only playing downloaded MKV files, sorry buddy, no experience encoding Blu-Ray CDs

Also Rimsky, are you using madVR or EVR?

I'm using madVR with

Chroma Upsacling - Jinc, 3 Taps, Anti Ringing
Image Upsacling - Jinc, 3 Taps, Anti Ringing, Linear Light
Image Downscaling - Catmull-Rom, Anti Ringing, Linear Light

I read online that these are the best possible settings, correct?

9 (edited by Jeff R 1 10-12-2013 18:02:26)

Zachn
Thanks, I just wanted to be sure there wasn't something I was missing. And your post also has helped allot as I am building a new rig just for SVP. It's surprising how much juice the CPU and GPU is running at. But frame interpolation on a 1080p scale would take up allot of recourses. I'll leave your thread alone now.  neutral

Zachn wrote:

can you explain why you changed "Frame Interpolation Mode" and "Motion Vectors Grid"?

Rimsky does use these changes because it reduces artefacts.

1,5m does trades less artefacts for less (quiet a lot less) smoothness.
24 pixel grid does the same. (less artefacts, but less smoothness (almost not noticable less))
Specially thin objects like swords, staffs, guns but also prison bars, shutter blinds etc catch a lot artefacts if one uses a small grid. Larger grids reduce these problems.
24px grid does also decrease CPU load.

Zachn
Thanks for the settings, can you explain why you changed "Frame Interpolation Mode" and "Motion Vectors Grid"?

1.5v and 24px grid make video artifactless
decrease grid step to 6-8px make smoothness more precision

Zachn
Also Rimsky, are you using madVR or EVR?

madVR/evrCP

Zachn
I read online that these are the best possible settings, correct?

the max settings is not the best
it may overload hardware
i use this settings

Fanty1972
Rimsky does use these changes because it reduces artefacts.

yep!

Fanty1972
24px grid does also decrease CPU load.

yep, but decrease grid step load CPU more than 24px decrease CPU load

Thanks for all the replies, I'll tweak my settings a bit and see what works best smile will update soon