1 (edited by Jeff R 1 30-11-2013 22:51:05)

Topic: PotPlayer has stopped working

All of this is a bit overwhelming so I have no idea where to start with this error. I am trying to play Blu-ray ISO's created with AnyDVD HD and when I add the correct playlist file PotPlayer crashes to what you see in the screen shots. Maybe PotPlayer can't handle ISO files ???

I carefully went through all the installation  instructions and I still get this error.

If I go into Preferences in PotPlayer > Filter Control > Global Filter Priority and Preset Filter Priority and uncheck "ffsideshow raw video filter", it plays fine, but then there is no SVP.

Windows 7 64 bit
AMD 8 core at 3.1 GHz
NVIDIA GT610
8 GB of RAM.

If the video card isn't powerful enough I can get a better one.

Thanks for any help !

Post's attachments

Pot player 1.PNG, 29.86 kb, 578 x 424
Pot player 1.PNG 29.86 kb, 753 downloads since 2013-11-30 

PotPlayer 2.PNG, 49.65 kb, 584 x 454
PotPlayer 2.PNG 49.65 kb, 706 downloads since 2013-11-30 

Re: PotPlayer has stopped working

PotPlayer's binary (PotPlayerMini.exe) isn't patched for high memory consumption by default. Use "4GB patch" on it.
http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/FAQ#Video_ … time_error

("4gb patch" is included in SVP's full distro)

Thanks, I will try that. I was also using the latest BETA of PotPlayer which didn't quite match the screen shots, I will try an older version and start from scatch again. I've been sitting here for over 4 hours with this, so I need a break.
I will report back with my progress later.

I tried installing things on a different machine thinking that it may make a difference, but I still get the same crash on the other machine as seen in the screen shots. This time I installed the full version of SVP. This computer has 4 GB of RAM so the patch is needed and as you posted the patch is included in the full installer.
Should I have checked the madVR box off in the full installer ? (I didn't do that because it said in the forum it isn't required).

Thanks.

hmm let's start it over

You don't need to reinstall all software over and over or try to do the same on another machine. Also the fault isn't depends on available RAM size at all.
All you need is to run "4gb patch" manually and point it to "PotPlayerMini.exe". That's all.

I'm sorry I just don't understand what you mean to run the patch manually. I extract the file with WinRAR and click on the patch and I allow it to open. I get what you see in the screen shot. Clicking on any one of the files shows what I get in the second screen shot.

Post's attachments

ex.file.PNG, 9.99 kb, 255 x 290
ex.file.PNG 9.99 kb, 719 downloads since 2013-12-01 

Patch.PNG, 48.89 kb, 354 x 252
Patch.PNG 48.89 kb, 709 downloads since 2013-12-01 

you need to find PotPlayer's installation folder in the first "Select Executable..." dialog and select "PotPlayerMini.exe"

I found the  "PotPlayerMini" file in C > Program Files (x86) > Daum > Potplayer, but not PotPlayerMini.exe. I don't know if that's the file you're talking about or what to do with it. I tried dragging the files from the patch into the Potplayer folder on drive "C", but of course that didn't do anything.
You're going to have to tell me specifically how to apply the patch.
You know what to do because you've done it before and it's very obvious to you, but not to me. It's like people who give directions to where they live, it makes perfect sense to them because they know where their house is, but for someone who has never been there before, it can be difficult.  sad

I found the  "PotPlayerMini" file.
It is right file. There is only one potplayermini file in the folder. "exe" part may be invisible in your system. Apply patch to this file:
Start menu - programs - SVP 3.1.5 - Utilities - 4GB Patch - choose potplayermini - Open - "Patched successfully" - OK.

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=2919

Post's attachments

potplayermini.png, 1.54 kb, 135 x 24
potplayermini.png 1.54 kb, 699 downloads since 2013-12-01 

10 (edited by Jeff R 1 02-12-2013 06:22:49)

Thanks for that, that's what was needed. However it did not solve the crash problem. In the playlist I chose a small file of only 1 minute and 42 seconds (the movies start screen menu loop) and that worked, however the function of PotPlayer was sluggish although the CPU usage was at around 30 to 40%. I'm thinking that my platform isn't up to the task and that's why it's crashing.
I have also tried the latest version of ffdshow, (4525_2131117) and that didn't help either. It's acting as if SVP and Potplayer are not making use if the processor. It helps to let the video card do 100% of the work ( a little).
One more thing, I couldn't find the potplayermini file where you said it would be, here is  a screen shot of what's there.
I found the file in the Potplayer in Program Files(x86) > Daum > Porplayer. I am not sure if this is where I was supposed to go, but it's the only place where the Potplayermini file is.
The other thing it could be is the patch didn't take and SVP is only running on 2 or 3 gigs of RAM. If that's the case I am about at my wits end here...

Post's attachments

Patch 1.PNG, 21.75 kb, 749 x 242
Patch 1.PNG 21.75 kb, 767 downloads since 2013-12-02 

Jeff R 1

I found the file in the Potplayer in Program Files(x86) > Daum > Porplayer. I am not sure if this is where I was supposed to go

It can be everywhere where you copied or installed it. If you have PotPlayer icon at desctop or in start program menu then right click by mouse and choose properties. There you can find path to executable potplayermini file.

NVIDIA GT610

Maybe it is weak videocard for Potplayer + SVP. Try to disable GPU-acceleration in SVP tray menu. Your 8 core CPU can did all work without GPU help. wink

12 (edited by Jeff R 1 03-12-2013 03:06:21)

Well I think I'm making progress _ I can get a DVD to play, but not a Blu-ray (I still get the crash with a Blu-ray). I put in a Radeon HD 7670 and that didn't make any difference. Disabled GPU-acceleration and that did nothing. Maybe there is a setting somewhere that I am missing, I don't know... Why does a DVD work and not a Blu-ray ?
I wonder if it would help t convert the ISO files into MKV format ???

Jeff R 1
I can not check now. Does PotPlayer support Blu-rays? hmm
I recommend to try MPC-HC for that purposes.

MAG79
Does PotPlayer support Blu-rays?

menu - nope
video/audio/subtitles stream - yes if file content it, so ususally select the biggest-size file and normally is the cinema

Jeff R 1
I wonder if it would help t convert the ISO files into MKV format

iso is the image of the disk
mkv is container supports video/audio/subs/etc stream

Iso contain BD-disk and you can mux BD in iso to single mkv-file
but, noway to convert iso to mkv

Potplayer does support Blu-rays work fine when ffdshow is unchecked in "Preferences" with in the player.
I believe you can convert ISO into MKV _ mount the ISO's on to the virtual drive (Virtual Clone Drive in my case) and from there I should be able to create MKV file of the movie.
I'll let everyone know how that goes when I get a chance _ it may be a few days.

17 (edited by Jeff R 1 05-12-2013 03:36:02)

So once I converted a Blu-ray to a MKV package it seems to work, or at least the 10 minutes I watched of it. The same Blu-ray would not play directly from the disc or with the ISO files mounted on Virtual Clone Drive... Hmmm...
Maybe having to read the disc or read the ISO files pushes the system over the edge and it runs out of resources _ guessing.
With the MKV file of the movie the processor is running at around 60 to 80% and some times falling to 40 and 50%. That's quite a chunk when considering that all 8 cores are running at 3.1 GHz.
Has anyone else here been able to get a Blu-ray to work, and if so, what are you're system specs ? At this point it looks like one would need an i7 processor for sure and a 760 GT NVIDIA card at least. That's assuming that it is my system that is the cause of the original problem.
Any thought would be of a big help.  smile

18 (edited by Jeff R 1 15-12-2013 20:34:24)

Still experimenting and I have discovered one of the problems was playing Blu-ray files thorough an external hard drive connected through USB _ it's too slow. Connecting the drive directly through one of the SATA connections works wonders. I can click directly on the correct playlist in MPC-HC and it seems to work fine with out crashing. Still doesn't work with PotPlayer, but as long as it works with one player.
I also installed the latest version of MPC-HC and it picked up on the already installed filters and it works well too.

This is a great convenience as creating MKV files of a movie form an ISO image was a bit of pain in the ass.  neutral

Jeff R 1
Interestingly the full installer package of SVP installed the 64 bit version of MPC-HC.

really?  hmm

20 (edited by Jeff R 1 15-12-2013 20:36:51)

Chainik wrote:

Jeff R 1
Interestingly the full installer package of SVP installed the 64 bit version of MPC-HC.

really?  hmm

Upon checking it is the 32 bit version, but in the info window is says 64 bit ???

Forget it, I'm looking at the information in the OS window.  roll

I really think that it should be allowed by the law to buy BD disk, put it on a shelf and then download BD-remux in MKV from torrents for everyday usage big_smile
Personally I could even pass first two steps and just pay for downloadable MKV.

Chainik wrote:

I really think that it should be allowed by the law to buy BD disk, put it on a shelf and then download BD-remux in MKV from torrents for everyday usage big_smile
Personally I could even pass first two steps and just pay for downloadable MKV.

There is a scheme in the US (as you may know) with Ultraviolet. It allows the original owner of the Blu-ray disc to upload a given Blu-ray and access it anywhere with in the US _ I am not sure if it would be accessible world wide though.
You can also buy virtual movies and have them uploaded to your Ultraviolet account, but again this is only in the US as far as I know, I tried creating a Canadian account for these virtual movies and it was only available in the US.

Have you guys ever thought about making your own player to go along with the SVP software and having it licensed so people could play Blu-rays and DVD's with out having to download MKV files of a given movie ?

Of course then you would have to start charging for you product rather then relying on donations.

Personally if you came up with a player like that I would pay a 100.00 bucks for it. It would be licensed and I wouldn't have to worry about removing the AACS code on my Blu-rays. The down side of a player like that is it would have to run on quite a powerful computer and most peoples rigs are not up for the task _ so I am finding out.

When I am satisfied with SVP and its stability I give some cash.  wink

Jeff R 1
Have you guys ever thought about making your own player to go along with the SVP software and having it licensed so people could play Blu-rays and DVD's with out having to download MKV files of a given movie ?

guess not
all of us in our team using digital copys of cinema (mkv/avi/mp4/m2ts/ts/etc...) and dont use disks (DVD/BD)

And for working with protected disk license is needed, but we are freeware software