Topic: How to always get wanted target rate like 60 or 75 fps?

Hi,

So I noticed that the smoothest video playback occurs on videos that have like 25 fps example: 25* (3:1) = 75 fps. Very smooth indeed, but when I play back 29.97 videos 29.97* (5:2) = 74.925 fps, i notice video is not quite as smooth? How do I get it to 75 fps? To get the smoothest video? How do I choose fixed target frame rate? Thanks for any and all helpful replies.

Re: How to always get wanted target rate like 60 or 75 fps?

Milardo
You have 3 ways.

1. ReClock. It change framerate by speed up or slow down video and audio streams. Install ReClock and allow him to load with MPC-HC. Maximum smoothness and quality.
2. More precize smooth coefficient. SVP - Information - Hidden settings - change value of option UseReClockToFixFPS to 0, restart SVP-Manager. Good smoothness but more artifacts.
3. Frameblending. Blend frames each other to get framerate equal refresh rate. Enable option "Blend frames to screen refresh rate" in active profile. Less artifatcs, but less smooth and blured result.

I installed reclock and use it with kmplayer but didn't notice difference. Tried #2, might be a good option. #3 doesn't seem good. I guess my question is, why doe 25 fps videos are more smoother than a video like 29.97 when using svp? Why isn't there an automatic calculation to 60 or 75 fps depending on monitor? Is there a feature that is missing?

Milardo
It looks like your monitor can't show all frames uniformly. I recommend to use madVR in fullscreen exclusive mode.
Check uniform by tearing test (Ctrl-Win-T). Orange line must move smoothly without jerkiness.

Actually this is happening for all my computers 2 laptops, one desktop. Orange line moves smoothly, can i upload two sample clips, one at original 25.00 fps and one at original 29.97 for testing?

Milardo
can i upload two sample clips, one at original 25.00 fps and one at original 29.97 for testing?
Sure! I will have a look.

25.00 Fps

http://www.mediafire.com/?1zlela6wesr1oqp

29.97 fps

http://www.mediafire.com/?9alal131lkejd43

Hi MAG79,

Were you able to download and play the files? Did you notice any difference between smoothness?

Milardo
Yes, I downloaded these files.

Ok, after testing them, is it normal smoothness or not?

First video smoothed with SVP ideally on my 60 Hz monitor.

Additional info:

Last processed file parameters:
Filename: Bullitt - Steve McQueen Famous Car Chase - YouTube.flv
Frame size and frame rate: 438x360 pixels, 25 fps

Detected screen parameters
Screen size and refresh rate: 1920x1080 pixels, 60.024 Hz

Video smoothing info
Smooth factor: 5:2
Resulting video frame rate: 62.5 fps
Drop 2.5 frames every sec (without ReClock)

Selected profile: 720x576@25

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=2375      http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=2376

Post's attachments

Bullitt_MPC-HC.jpg, 34.71 kb, 454 x 490
Bullitt_MPC-HC.jpg 34.71 kb, 598 downloads since 2013-03-06 

Bullitt_ReClock.png, 17.51 kb, 483 x 470
Bullitt_ReClock.png 17.51 kb, 625 downloads since 2013-03-06 

Right, I have no problem with that video, very smooth playback, but how about the other video, which is 29.97? To me, it just didn't have the same smoothness (visually)

Milardo
About second video I will write later. Second video have several places with blended frames. I will show it on screenshots.

Milardo
Second clip created by blend frames in each group of 4 frames into 5 frames to get 29.97 fps from 23.976 fps. It is such kind of telecine. 3:2 pulldown with frame-blending.
Blend pattern: blend-blend-source-source-source

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=2377

Blended frames have low contrast and slow speed to 0.5x at blend-source and source-blend margins.
Motions in this pattern looks like: slow-normal-slow-normal-normal
Video has periodic jerkiness. Such video can not been smoothed by SVP.

You can try to remove blend from this video. Inform us if you get success.

Post's attachments

Clip_ipman_Blends.gif, 269.5 kb, 477 x 341
Clip_ipman_Blends.gif 269.5 kb, 593 downloads since 2013-03-06 

I really dont know how to use avisynth program-any other way to remove blend? Also, is there anyway that a feature can be implemented for videos like this, i've got quite a few of them. Meaning a way to detect these type of videos, remove blend, and them svp?

Milardo
any other way to remove blend?
To download true 23.976 fps movie wink

is there anyway that a feature can be implemented for videos like this, i've got quite a few of them.
No. We have not such plans. Cause is only frame rate 24 fps (23.976) is standard for movies. All other things are not standard and may have billion of variants. SVP not supports non standard things. You must to convert you non standard video to standard one before using SVP.

a way to detect these type of videos
Only by your eyes.

Sorry for bringing up this again, but so many videos i have don't have that soap opera effect when using svp. What do i have to do (besides reencoding) to achieve the desired effect, what can be done in realtime that will enable any video to have soap opera effect?

If you're aren't getting the "soap opera effect" then it means one of three things.

1. SVP is not being activated or working correctly

2. SVP's settings are set too low

3. You've become used to high frame rates to the point that it looks more normal than standard frame rates

SVP is activated and working correctly. SVP settings aren't too low. I'm not used to the high frame rates because i couldn't get the video to be smooth. I can send you a sample video to test, let me know.

20 (edited by Blackfyre 31-05-2015 15:37:23)

Milardo, can I ask what hardware you're running? Just the CPU and videocard is fine. Don't need further details.

Edit: Also which media player you are using? and if you're using Madvr or not.

Hi, I am currently using a 3610qm with gt650m/hd4000 optimus. I've tried several media players but not getting any different results, like mpdn, mpc-hc, kmplayer, potplayer, wmp, tried different renderers including Madvr.