Re: my personal guide for svp usage

MAG79 wrote:

greg1292
Thanks. After download package from you link I can't find LAV there. How to enable it?
As I can see LAV is not included to this package hmm Am I right?

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191 Just follow the instructions in the first post.

Also just wanted to say thanks and look forward to the next build.   I read where Lav .46 is not as fast as .45 but will be fixed
in .47. Just thought the AVX 4041 build works great with AMD FX-4100 and should throw it out there. JanWilliams32 is on to
something with these builds and 32 point processing and all the resizer capabilities to play with in his build. Fun stuff indeed.

greg1292
Are you say about these instructions from the first post:
Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide (by mindbomb),
Watching H.264 (and other) videos using Compute Unified Device Architecture (CUDA) (by ranpha)?

28 (edited by greg1292 16-02-2012 14:49:53)

MAG79 wrote:

greg1292
Are you say about these instructions from the first post:
Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide (by mindbomb),
Watching H.264 (and other) videos using Compute Unified Device Architecture (CUDA) (by ranpha)?

Mag79  if you have cuda then yes. I have mine set up the same way but with DXVA-2.

I have a question pertaining to SVP and threads for cpu. My FX-4100 runs 19 threads(Is that possible) at no problem
but cannot run 30 in this case is more better?

greg1292
My FX-4100 runs 19 threads(Is that possible) at no problem but cannot run 30 in this case is more better?

8 threads is enough for 4-treads CPU, and more is not better (as usual)

30 (edited by greg1292 20-02-2012 23:32:41)

Just wanted to report Lav .47 fixes ATI playback DXVA2 Copy Back using all LAV filters MPHC 4075 AVX tester build. No CPU or GPU spikes using Lancos 4,EVR Custom, 32 point or all max renderer settings.
  Also 15 threads in Lav Decoder and SVP. The AMD FX-4100 doesn't work well with 8
threads but has no problem with 15. 1080P or 720P have not stuttering or sync issues
with audio or video.

31 (edited by neyel8r 15-01-2013 04:15:40)

extraeye wrote:

Hi all.
I've only just discovered this great tool today and it's really great!
I think you've made great work with SVP except I didn't completely understand how it works. Now that I've played around a little I think I can save other people some time with my knowledge.

Best results:
The stronger processor the better.
New dedicated video cards with DXVA/Nvidia.

SVP will adjust it's settings according to your processor. Better hardware will enable better settings which in turn will reward you with better interpolation quality, video quality (less artifacts), and performance.

This should let you run almost any video file with MPC and with SVP:

1)Installing:

Download and install SVP from here: http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Download
It's best to use the package since it includes all the additional software you'll need.

2) Make ffdshow run:

Run MPC HC and click "O" for Options>External Filters>Add Filter....
Now if you have an integrated video card or an old video card double click ffdshow video decoder. If you have a new video card, choose ffdshow raw decoder filter and move to part 3.

Explanation:
You need ffdshow to work in order to use SVP since what it does is use ffdshow's avisynth filter to add a script that does all the interpolation work. So you need to either decode your videos with ffdshow or add the raw ffdshow decoder to the chain of filters so that it passes through it after the decoding is done.
In short: If you have an old video card or an integrated card, it's best to use ffdshow video decoder and you're done. The decoding and the interpolation will both be done by your processor. If you have a video card from recent years read (3).

Optional steps:

3)Make Lav Decoder run

For the best performance with recent video cards:
(1)Install Lav filters from here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191
(2)Press "o" for options in MPC HC, then go to Internal Filters and disable all checkboxes. (3)Go to External Filters>Add filters and double click Lav Video Decoder to make MPC HC use Lav filters' video decoder. Do this step once more and this time double click Lav Splitter.
(4)Mark Lav Video Decoder from the list under External Filters and set it to Prefer.
(5)Double click Lav Video Decoder on the list and under Hardware Decoder to use choose DXVA2 copy-back or Nvidia Cuvid (If you have an nvidia card).

Explanation:
If you have a video card from recent years (about three I think) you should be able to use it to decode the video, which will improve performance  big_smile . This is called "DXVA"/"CUDA" and is not available in ffdshow. So we will be using Lav video decoder which can use your video card to decode together with "ffdshow raw" which is there just for SVP to work.
This will enable your video card to decode the video and leave the processor to focus entirely on SVP's interpolation.

4)Make MadVR run

For the best video quality use the MadVR renderer: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228 Add it in Options>Playback>Output and under directshow video choose Madvr. This also requires having a video card from recent years. It will add some strain to your video card but it's worth it. cool

i registered here just to say thank you for this guide!

1080p content with SVP was previously unwatchable for me, but after following your instructions and a bit of tweaking of the SVP 1080p profile settings, i was able to get it looking & running very well with SVP @ 60fps on my aging Q6600 cpu alongside a decent GTX 570.

many thanks! smile

Thanks. You made my day a little better smile

If x32 bit is not cutting it out for you because your settings demand higher amount of ram then you can patch your video player's .exe to enable 4gb ram instead of max of 2gb

Please visit this site for the DL link on that patch i'm talking about:

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

This got rid of SVP crashing on me especially for PotPlayer.