Topic: No HEVC in VR (whirligig or deovr)

HEVC (H.265) video files play fine in MPC-HC using ffdshow raw on top of LAV vdieo decoder, but current solution for VR according to SVP website is forcing ffdshow to decode all videos in VR with whirligig and deovr.Then when there is H.265 video that ffdshow cannot decode, it went to LAV decoder and non SVP.

Is there a solution to it? I am sure i am not the first one encounter this problem.  (I tried VLC video plan in whirligig even their beta version, not working either, i already enabled svp interference in vlc installation, no success either)

Re: No HEVC in VR (whirligig or deovr)

> Is there a solution to it?

Unfortunately no.
They all share the same video engine - Renderheads AVPro Video, which doesn't allow the DirectShow filter chain configuration except the video decoder selection.
https://github.com/RenderHeads/UnityPlu … issues/230

THanks for the quick reply!
Well, I was wondering if there is a non ffdshow workaround. e.g. vlc inside whirligig,  the new whirligig 4.821 beta can identify the installation of vlc on the computer and use it as video path(player),  since SVP already support vlc through vlc video filter,  as long as whirligig can load the svp interface, it should work?  unfortunately it doesn't work now but i cannot see under the hood and wondering if you may found more as developer.

> the new whirligig 4.821 beta can identify the installation of vlc on the computer and use it as video path(player)

I'll check this...

Thanks!  hope it leads to a breakthrough on this,  ffdshow was abandoned 7 years ago, there is no hope it will be implemented to support SVP

There's no need to "implement ffdshow", they (Renderheads) could just give more control over the DirectShow fiilter chain to the developers

I believe Whirligig author will be glad to help us but he is just unable to do it.

===
> the new whirligig 4.821 beta

Where? The last one on Steam is 4.78 from 7 Nov 2019

In steam, whirligig page, right click on Whirligig go to Properties, go to the beta tab and choose the beta version you want. Latest betas is the latest one and then they are numbered.

there is a youtube link how to do it:  https://youtu.be/E0g9ICfaxbU

8 (edited by getitall 18-06-2020 09:44:55)

any success in testing this with whirligigi? 

Besides Whirligig, I do find when using vorpx (it does inject the drivers when running MPC, i would assume  vr toolbox injector will do the same), H265 video will make SVP works, with logo and watermark.   But it chose SVP automatic profile (meaning only 60hz, may be because the monitor is 60hz), not 90hz VR profile,  any way to force using VR profile in SVP or change automatic to 90hz (there is no option in automatic profile on refresh rate)?

You can select target framerate 90 fps with Automatic profile. Press small button at the right side. Select: Fixed frame rate 90 fps
https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Manual:FR … _a_Profile

sorry, in my case, i can set frame right for all other profile but not automatic profile, under automatic profile, there is no button at all for setting frame rate,

https://i.ibb.co/Pr1n7yH/Capture.jpg

I can create a new profile but the mpc or VLC won't use the new profile, i set the
video player == VLC media player   it doesn't work,  what is the syntax for MPC or VLC here ?

MAG79 wrote:

You can select target framerate 90 fps with Automatic profile. Press small button at the right side. Select: Fixed frame rate 90 fps
https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Manual:FR … _a_Profile

I'm sorry. Yes you are right. You need to create new profile by pressing button: New...
Profile selection is automatic too. User profile has more priority than Automatic profile.
Also you can use Conditions: https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Manual:FR … he_Profile

> any success in testing this with whirligigi?

nope. it doesn't matter if "internal" or "external" vlc used
Whirligig uses VLC not directly but via another Unity plugin which doesn't provide desired configuration options

I've contacted Whirligig author and he's really willing to help but he can't do much as he completely depends on these Unity plugins (AVpro and UMP).

> i set the video player == VLC media player   it doesn't work,  what is the syntax for MPC or VLC here ?

"vlc" should be enough
if you add a profile condition to an active profile while playing a video it will be automatically filled with current value

> vorpx

last time I checked it worked in 45 Hz mode only

Thanks for the thorough feedbacks @Chainik,
it's sad we cannot get whirligig work,  i will test if vorpx able to get to 90hz working

just received an update from Whirligig's author as he in turn received reply from Renderheads
long story short - there's a hope it will work via DirectShow soon (i.e. LAV video decoder + ffdshow raw filter) wink

15 (edited by getitall 19-06-2020 20:19:27)

I did some testing with vorpx media player but not sure it worked or not:

First I use VLC with and SVP profile to fix frame rate at 120(for valve index), then played two H265 file, both files play, with SVP watermark saying first file (native 30fps) played at 89.99 fps
second H265 file show  71.298 fps (native 24fps),  neither was fixed at 120, the profile name is correctly displayed, looks like both file just played at 3 times of frame rate instead fixing at 120 as i set.

Then i don't know even those are actual frame rates inside headset through vorpx media player .   because even without my index headset turned on or vorpx running, i saw same watermark display on my monitor playing with VLC and same profile, my monitor only refresh at 60hz, so no way to show 89.99fps, or 71.298 video as SVP watermark says.

leading me to believe the actual frame rate in vorpx is also not 90hz.Any way to see the real fps inside vorpx?

> Any way to see the real fps inside vorpx?

mpc-hc, evr renderer, then turn on renderer stats - ctrl+j

good news everyone big_smile
you can now try the latest whirligig_early_access_v.4.8323 which forces ffdshow raw filter

I can't get it running. I installed the latest Whirligig beta, use Directshow as path, but SVP always says "no active playback". I set everything up as described on your Whirligig tutorial. Dit you get it running with H265 content?

> I set everything up as described on your Whirligig tutorial

wrong. you must set all decoders to LAV now.
do you see ffdshow raw filter icon in the tray area?

In Codec Tweak tool? I tried, but there is no such option for HEVC/H265. I see that FFDshow icon in tray, it says input YV12 uncompressed, output NV12. But SVP tray icon says "no active playback"

> there is no such option for HEVC/H265

right under VC-1...

> I see that FFDshow icon in tray, it says input YV12 uncompressed, output NV12. But SVP tray icon says "no active playback"

then check SVP's log for errors

Right, sorry, LAV was on by default smile

The log says
18:25:31.018 : Screens: updating information, 1 screen(s) found
18:25:32.309 : Screens: screen 0 - 3840x2160 @59.997 Hz [measured], x2.0 [161 DPI]
18:25:32.310 : Screens: primary screen is 0
18:29:10.512 : VideoPlayer: new instance found in Whirligig.exe but SVP can't talk to it.
18:29:13.200 : Screens: updating information, 4 screen(s) found
18:29:13.881 Screens: screen 3 - 1920x1080 @90.000 Hz [measured], x1.5 [95 DPI]
18:29:13.949 : Screens: screen 1 - 1920x1080 @90.000 Hz [measured], x1.5 [95 DPI]
18:29:14.236 : Screens: screen 2 - 1920x1080 @90.000 Hz [measured], x1.5 [95 DPI]
18:29:16.241 : Screens: screen 0 - 3840x2160 @59.997 Hz [measured], x2.0 [161 DPI]
18:29:16.241 : Screens: primary screen is 0

https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/FAQ#Admin … eges_issue

Many many thanks, it works now! I had SVP running as administrator and it never was a problem before because MPCHC was also running as admin smile

I'm not sure if I messed up my settings, but it seems the interpolation doesnt work with 59,9 or 60fps video. I use a 90hz HMD, when I open a 24p video, its interpolated to 90fps (x15/4) but when I open a 60fps video, SVP shows exact these 60fps as output and does no motion interpolation to 90fps. Do I do something wrong?