Topic: Feature Request 24px Motion Vectors Grid for Nvidia Optical Flow

Can we get 24px motion vectors grid as a drop down selection when Nvidia Optical Flow is enabled?

Re: Feature Request 24px Motion Vectors Grid for Nvidia Optical Flow

yeah, probably... why?

3 (edited by fieldskyleb 26-04-2020 04:04:56)

With certain scenes 16px looks smooth, but it has some wavy artifacts, especially on text like credits. 32px has fewer wavy artifacts, but it doesn't look as smooth. With 24px (not using Optical Flow) seems to balance the smoothness and the wavy artifacts. I really like optical flow, so it would be nice to have 24px with optical flow.

I'm using 1440p...

4 (edited by Blackfyre 02-05-2020 03:24:17)

I just upgraded from GTX 1070 to RTX 2070 Super yesterday. Have mostly been testing in games, but tested a couple of hours with MPV too. It would be nice to have something between 32px and 16px to test around with.

Also another question, I am sure it's not placebo, but wanted to ask @Chainik, is artifact masking worse with nVida Optical Flow? It seems like it with the tests I done, it does not mask artifacts as well. I always have artifact masking on strong, using "strongest" ruins the smoothness of the video, so can't use that. But comparing with Optical Flow and Without, it seems artifact masking on strong is worse with Optical Flow. But of course, performance is better overall.

Is there a way to add the settings under motion vector that are available without Optical Flow? But then when I enable Optical Flow most of the settings are gone. I only have Accuracy and Motion Vector Grid, but without Optical Flow, there are more options for motion vectors.

EDIT: Actually setting artifact masking to strongest doesn't have a very strong effect on Optical Flow, it remains fairly smooth, and it removes most of the artifacts when combined with Complicated SVP Shader, before I was using the Standard SVP Shader.

My only requests is to add both 40px and 24px, so we can test it with different videos. For example, football matches, I noticed changing from 16px to 32px removed MOST of the ball artifacts, but maybe if there was also a 40px option, then the ball artifacts will be completely removed because SVP won't find the motion of the small object? Maybe. Would be nice to have the options for testing, or if we can add them manually?

Ok, try this - attached 64-bit plugins, put into SVP 4/plugins64/
Then in "All settings" locate your custom video profile and set nvof_grid to 24 or 40.

The masking strength for NVOF is also increased, please check.

Sadly I can't test it myself properly cause I only have remote access to the computer with RTX card...

Post's attachments

grid40.png 161.29 kb, 106 downloads since 2020-05-02 

svpflow2.dll 489 kb, 269 downloads since 2020-05-02 

svpflow2_vs.dll 471 kb, 263 downloads since 2020-05-02 

6 (edited by Blackfyre 02-05-2020 19:18:10)

Chainik wrote:

Ok, try this - attached 64-bit plugins, put into SVP 4/plugins64/
Then in "All settings" locate your custom video profile and set nvof_grid to 24 or 40.

The masking strength for NVOF is also increased, please check.

Sadly I can't test it myself properly cause I only have remote access to the computer with RTX card...

Thank you.

Done some testing, 40px is too much, artifacts are slightly less, but I lose A LOT of the smoothness, it becomes a little bit choppy, with 0 dropped and 0 skipped frames. 32 is the most balanced, it stays smooth and most of the artifacts are gone, except in football matches with the ball.

24px I don't need to use it personally, maybe OP can test it because he requested it, in my testing 32px is better than 24px.

What about nvof_quality? I know 0 is low, 1 is medium, and 2 is high accuracy. Anything higher than 2, like (3 or 4, or higher doesn't do anything I think, it just plays like 2).

Would allowing for higher accuracy improve other things, like smoothness or artifact masking? Maybe a 3, 4, and 5 options? I am willing to test.

"2" is the maximum value in the NVOF API

Chainik wrote:

"2" is the maximum value in the NVOF API

Oh okay fair enough, thank you with the help above and allowing us to test.

9 (edited by Blackfyre 03-05-2020 12:50:57)

Just an update, I have disabled nVidia Optical Flow. After further watching TV Shows and Movies. It is not as good at hiding artifacts, even with artifact masking set to strongest, Optical Flow cannot be compared to without Optical Flow.

Below are my settings. Option #1 is better than Option #2. A little less smoother, but a lot less artifacts without Optical Flow. Hopefully there will be improvements from nVidia down the line, if there is improvements from nVidia to this technology and you do update it for SVP @Chainik, please let us know so we test again. Thank you.

Option #1 - Settings without Optical Flow: https://i.imgur.com/4vReGUI.png

Option #2  - Settings with Optical Flow Enabled: https://i.imgur.com/j8JJfDJ.png

Of course the downside with my processor (4790K @ 4.6Ghz) is that for 4K HDR content, I have to switch to 50Hz to watch. But 4K SDR and 1080p Bluray I can run fine at 60Hz.

Advantage with optical flow is that even with 16px for motion vector I can run 60FPS on 4K HDR easy, this is impossible without it with my setup. But too many artifacts for my liking, I cannot watch videos with that many artifacts on objects, it becomes distracting.

Thank you, Chainik and Blackfyre! I will run some tests with the 24px.

With NVOF, I have a ton of artifacts with the complicated filter, even in frames with no motion.  While, the standard filter has a lot less artifacts.

I'm using SVP with a capture card. With my setup, I don't use any artifact masking because the haloing is exacerbated by my reshade post-processing filters. On a side note, using an FXAA filter followed with a sharpening filter does a good job at masking the small artifacts in most scenes. It can have some issues with smaller text.

With 24px, it was able to reduce some of the wavy artifacts with text, and it looks smooth. It also did a good job with busy scenes that had a lot of movement (like falling confetti). I also noticed a very small drop in the gpu clock reported by potplayer (vs 16px).

I found that 1m Average mode, standard shader, no artifacts masking, high NVOF accuracy works well. NVOF is able to push out a high frame rate, and it seems to have a lower latency than the cpu based modes.

Blackfyre wrote:

Just an update, I have disabled nVidia Optical Flow. After further watching TV Shows and Movies. It is not as good at hiding artifacts, even with artifact masking set to strongest, Optical Flow cannot be compared to without Optical Flow.

Below are my settings. Option #1 is better than Option #2. A little less smoother, but a lot less artifacts without Optical Flow. Hopefully there will be improvements from nVidia down the line, if there is improvements from nVidia to this technology and you do update it for SVP @Chainik, please let us know so we test again. Thank you.

Option #1 - Settings without Optical Flow: https://i.imgur.com/4vReGUI.png

Option #2  - Settings with Optical Flow Enabled: https://i.imgur.com/j8JJfDJ.png

Of course the downside with my processor (4790K @ 4.6Ghz) is that for 4K HDR content, I have to switch to 50Hz to watch. But 4K SDR and 1080p Bluray I can run fine at 60Hz.

Advantage with optical flow is that even with 16px for motion vector I can run 60FPS on 4K HDR easy, this is impossible without it with my setup. But too many artifacts for my liking, I cannot watch videos with that many artifacts on objects, it becomes distracting.

How did you get these NVOF options to come up? im manually going into app settings and scrolling all he way down to profile settings sad

Kaminominaaa
To get access to NVOF settings You need NVOF-compatible GPU:

NVIDIA GeForce >= 16xx (Turing)

https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/GPU_Compatibility

MAG79 wrote:

Kaminominaaa
To get access to NVOF settings You need NVOF-compatible GPU:

NVIDIA GeForce >= 16xx (Turing)

https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/GPU_Compatibility

Ah okay, even manually turning it on in the profile app settings will do nothing then I assume yikes Appreciate the reply I kinda just assumed a 1080ti would work but I'll check next time!

just assumed a 1080ti would work

No. 1080Ti is not compatible to NVOF. It is not based on Turing architecture.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_(m … hitecture)