Re: Bad performance after format of PC

I've found two other posts on Reddit, where the users explains they suddently have poor performance in games - like from one day to the other - where reinstall of drivers and such has no effect. Just like with me.
Also there's a guy on Linus Tech Tips forum that also talks about sudden loss in performance.

It really has to be a Windows thing, right?

Right so I'm finding people here and there talking about sudden loss of performance, also seeing articles about the latest updates for Windows this month has made performance worse and a lot of other things.
And since my performance suddently get good, then bad again, that must be a bug of some sort, cannot be my hardware or setup/settings directly. I'm certain it's just Windows being a buggy mess this month.

Oh well, I hope Microsoft works on a new update fast.

28 (edited by Blackfyre 31-03-2020 12:56:03)

I don't think you tested the configurations I recommended in my previous, but anyway, I highly doubt it's a Windows Update issue. My PC is always up to date, also very recently formatted and I'm running Slow Ring Windows 10 2004. So neither with 1909 or with 2004 do I have any of the issues you mentioned and my hardware is twice as slow as yours.

Either do a clean install of Windows and test SVP only multiple times before installing anything else other than your drivers, or you need to troubleshoot what is causing you the issue. You seem to have programs installed, run msconfig and disable everything unnecessary from startup, and disable unnecessary non-microsoft services too from startup.

Speaking of drivers, download Snappy Driver Installer Lite (linked below), run it, download the indexes only first. It will then show you all the drivers you need to download and update, tick (select) and update your drivers for your components (the top recommended one for each component is the latest driver available for that component, if you hover the mouse over each component it will show you the date and version number of your current driver and what you're updating to, you'll be surprised how many driver updates this program will find).

https://filehippo.com/download_snappy-d … ller-lite/

This is a program used in the industry, it just makes the process of finding the LATEST drivers for every component 10x easier and simpler.

29 (edited by BetteBalterZen 31-03-2020 13:27:08)

I hear you, I do. But what I don't understand is that all of this happened from one day to the other. I didn't do anything. And I just did a fresh install of Windows + drivers + the programs I've always used - which have worked perfectly before.
I did not see the need to try out your MPV configuration since everything worked perfectly this morning. Then after a reboot, poor performance was back. I noticed that when FH4 ran as it should, MPV played 4K HDR without problem. Then when the problem was back, after the reboot, and FH4 ran poorly again, then so did MPV; failed again to play 4K HDR. So it seems to me that whatever this problem is, it is what is causing the bad gaming performance in FH4 and the poor playback in MPV. That is why I have not tried your MPV configuration because it wasn't needed in the first place.

I can try and turn off all programs from start (of Windows) and see how it goes. I'll do that now, and report back :-)

Also, if it doesn't work disabling(from start of Windows) all programs, I'll give that driver update tool a try. But I'm sure I have all needed drivers installed. I've installed those I've always installed.

Thanks again

Disabling all installed programs from starting up with Windows had no effect.
Also, turning off any unnecessary services did not have an effect either.

I tried Snappy Driver Installer Lite and it finds a lot of drivers which I have never ever used before and drivers for hardware I don't even have.

I went back to ASUS website to see if I missed any drivers and I did install a chipset driver I missed but that had no effect either.

Again, I've never experienced this and this problem just started over night, so I cannot believe it has something to do with my setup. Well of course it has but it's out of my hands.
If a fresh install of Windows + fresh drivers won't fix it, then ey, must be Windows - I also keep believing that it is Windows since others have reported problems like mine this month.
I mean, my computer won't just "break" over night. It must have something to do with my specific setup and Windows. Otherwise I don't make any sense.

> and FH4 ran poorly again, then so did MPV

obviously it's a graphics drivers issue

don't install the latest NV drivers, try some older version

Chainik wrote:

> and FH4 ran poorly again, then so did MPV

obviously it's a graphics drivers issue

don't install the latest NV drivers, try some older version

I did try that last week - which worked the first time / worked for a day. Then the problem came back. Then I tried the newest driver. Didn't help. Then I tried an even older driver than the first older one - did not help either. But ey, I'll try again.

Again, to all, thanks for all help. It kinda seems impossible to fix, so I really appreciate you guys keep commenting. Much love to you all.

BetteBalterZen wrote:

I tried Snappy Driver Installer Lite and it finds a lot of drivers which I have never ever used before and drivers for hardware I don't even have.

It ONLY shows you drivers for devices on your system that need updating. Not all drivers are available on your motherboard's webpage. Sometimes motherboard manufacturers don't update older motherboard pages. So a new chipset driver, or new bluetooth driver, or new LAN driver comes out that WORKS with your motherboard, but it's only available to download on newer motherboards that use the same chips.

That's why this program is very handy, it finds the newest drivers for every component that's in YOUR system.

When you first run it, should be empty, then you click download and choose to download ONLY the indexes. After the indexes download, then you should see ALL the drivers that need updating that are ONLY in your system. Nothing there is something you don't have.

As Chainik also said, it could very well be a GPU driver issue. Download the latest "GeForce Hotfix Driver 445.78" and install that, which from what I see being reported fixed the issues that were there with 445.75.

Also run nVidia Control Panel, go to "Manage 3D Settings", scroll down to "Power Management Mode" and set it to "Prefer Maximum Performance".

Don't worry YOUR issue will be fixed, like every other PC issue, and then you'd go UHH can't believe it was that the whole time. Lol just calm down and follow the steps one by one so we can determine why the issue is happening. Start by updating the drivers using Snappy Driver Installer, which should also update your graphics driver anyway, and then do the power management tweak I recommended.

34 (edited by BetteBalterZen 31-03-2020 18:40:34)

Hello Blackfyre

Snappy Driver Installer Lite just showed so many dublicate drivers, and it even recommended a driver which were from the 1960's?! That's what it said. It seemed like a joke to me to be honest.
So I don't really feel like making it download so many different but also dublicated drivers. Also, it talks about installing Intel Xeon drivers and wut, I don't have a Xeon CPU.
Don't get me wrong, Snappy Driver Installer Lite is probably a great tool but it makes no sense when I look at what drivers it recommends.

I'll try that hotfix driver now, even though they say it's only to fix dx11 games that fails to launch when using the sharpening settings in the control panel.

Also, I have tried setting my GPU to prefering maximum performance (power settings) and that had no effect.

I'll report back after I've installed the Nvidia hotfix.

Thanks again

The Nvidia hotfix driver had no effect

Just tried an older Nvidia driver. Did not work either. Still the same result :-/

For future: Always keep a system backup with Makrium reflect. No need to reinstall OS not troubleshoot what changed. ESPECIALLY with Windows 10.

38 (edited by BetteBalterZen 31-03-2020 20:18:17)

James D wrote:

For future: Always keep a system backup with Makrium reflect. No need to reinstall OS not troubleshoot what changed. ESPECIALLY with Windows 10.

Thank you - I'll remember that.

Also, I just did a Realbench stresstest - my system passed the stress test. So my system (or should I say hardware) isn't directly unstable, which is a good thing. I've failed the stress test before, even BSOD'ed, while overclocking my CPU, so I know how easy it is to fail the test. But my system passed it with no problems.

39 (edited by BetteBalterZen 01-04-2020 05:12:59)

I just woke up and turned on my PC. And guess what. Everything runs smooth now. FH4 runs perfectly, and I can watch 4K HDR @48FPS without any problems at all.

The only difference since last night, compared to normal restarts I do, is that I turn off the powerswitch, so my PC gets zero electricity.

Now I will try and restart my PC normally, like using the Windows restart function to see if my performance sticks this time - probably won't - and when it won't, I'll try and turn off my PC, cut off the power, then turn on power again and my PC.

Performance is perfect after a normal restart of my PC, so it seems like the performance is sticking this time... This is really, really weird. Glad it works now though but for how long? lol

I will of course write back here to say if my PC suddently gets poor performance again.

Thank you all again

41 (edited by BetteBalterZen 01-04-2020 12:39:59)

I just tried restarting my PC again. And my performance is still normal. I'm beginning to believe my performance is back, like for real.
And btw, I forgot to mention; last night when I stress tested my PC using Realbench, I thought about trying to lower my Vcore because I thought it might be possible and yes it was. Went from 1.360v to 1.300v. Also getting even higher Cinebench score now and lower temps.
Could the 1.360 Vcore have been the cause of my performance getting weird? I mean, my PC was stable - haven't crashed or BDOD'ed. But could the Cvore have made my system just enough unstable to "bug out" my performance but not enough to crash during gaming, benchmarks and even stress tests?
Is it possible be be right in the middle, if you get what I mean?

Anyhow, I've restarted 2 times in total today so far and my performance is normal, so that's really, really good.

Again, I wanna thank you all for using your time and helping me out. I know it must have felt kinda impossible, and annoying most likely...

I'm truly glad to have bought SVP - you guys deserve the cash. SVP is a must-have software IMO.

BetteBalterZen wrote:

I just woke up and turned on my PC. And guess what. Everything runs smooth now. FH4 runs perfectly, and I can watch 4K HDR @48FPS without any problems at all.

The only difference since last night, compared to normal restarts I do, is that I turn off the powerswitch, so my PC gets zero electricity.

Now I will try and restart my PC normally, like using the Windows restart function to see if my performance sticks this time - probably won't - and when it won't, I'll try and turn off my PC, cut off the power, then turn on power again and my PC.

Since you mentioned this, make sure your computer is not going into SLEEP MODE or HIBERNATION when you shut down. They can cause issues with Windows 10 after you turn the PC back on again. Make sure that shutdown actually shuts down the PC. Maybe this has been what is causing you issues the whole time.

Disable sleep mode and hibernation and make sure the shut down button actually shuts down your PC.

Let me know if that fixes everything.

I just tried restarting again - 3rd time today - and the problem is back... I just played FH4 for 3 hours without any problems, then restarted, then crap performance again. Same with MPV.

I'll look into Sleep and Hibernation now.

Thank you.

44 (edited by BetteBalterZen 01-04-2020 17:16:25)

Blackfyre!!! I think I loooooove you!!!

I tried restarting again after the 3rd time (where my performance was shit again) and after this 4th restart, performance was still shit.
Now I did you said. Went into power option to disable Fast startup (I read you're supposed to disable that if you truly want your PC to be TUNRED OFF).

And damn, performance was back!!! But dunno how I was able to restart twice earlier today and still keep good performance.

I'll try and keep restarting over and over now - atleast 3 times - to see if the performance sticks. You might just have found what is causing the issue, Blackfyre.

I'll report back

I just tried normal restart twice, and I have bad performance again. Then I tried turning off my PC, also twice, instead of restarting and nope still bad performance. It's so hecking random...

I'll try and cut off power completely to my PC now and see if that makes a difference.

Nope. Turning off power / electricity completely had no effect...

Think I'll try and reset my BIOS - just for lolz.

I reset my BIOS. Restarted. Performance was back. Then I tried restarting again, performance was bad again.

I don't get it. Maybe my PC is dying lol...

Right so I wanted my OC back of course. Redid my OC config, restarted, ran Cinebench - saw I forgot a setting (CPU didn't clock to set multiplier), tried watching a movie which wasn't possible due to poor performance again. Went into my BIOS, redid my OC config, restarted, did a Cinebench run - now my CPU was clocking as intented, tried watching a movie, now it ran perfectly.

It's so random.

49 (edited by BetteBalterZen 02-04-2020 05:30:15)

My performance is poor again this morning. I've now also made a post on the community help page of Windows. My gut tells me it's Windows, especially because so many others having - suddently overnight - poor performance, where older drivers and fresh install of Windows does not work.

Right, so I wanted to shutoff my PC. I misclicked and hit Sleep. Then I wanted to turn on my PC again to turn it off properly and now my monitor won't come on. Gets no signal from the GPU. When I try to open Nvidia control panel, it says I need a Nvidia GPU to use it. I can still see my 1080 Ti in the device manager though. I have tried deactivating it and reactivating it which did not help.

So I guess that concludes it. My GPU just died, right?