Topic: "Decrease to screen size" question

Do I actually lose video quality if I select that option when playing a 4K video on a 1440p display? For example, I've a 1440p display monitor and I'm playing a 4K video format, if I select "Decrease to screen size" SVP will automatically downscale to 1440p when playing instead of playing it at the native 4K video format.

Re: "Decrease to screen size" question

Well, you can't watch 4K on any other than 4K, image will be upscaled or downscaled anyway. You loose quality if you got used to a more high performance consuming methods of downscaling that what is used in SVP (bicubic or lancsoz, I don't remember now) like in MadVR. Also, it might find vectors better analyzing 4K image but difference should be minuscule.
So all-in-all, it is always advisable to use Decrease to screen size unless you have too much of a horse power and think it will be useful.

Re: "Decrease to screen size" question

James D wrote:

Well, you can't watch 4K on any other than 4K, image will be upscaled or downscaled anyway. You loose quality if you got used to a more high performance consuming methods of downscaling that what is used in SVP (bicubic or lancsoz, I don't remember now) like in MadVR. Also, it might find vectors better analyzing 4K image but difference should be minuscule.
So all-in-all, it is always advisable to use Decrease to screen size unless you have too much of a horse power and think it will be useful.

Alright, thanks for the clarification!