Topic: New core features?

Hey, I haven't been much active around here for a while but I see you got busy with customer support since releasing SVP 4 smile

You've done a full rewrite of the management UI... but the core really hasn't changed for a long time AFAIK. Are there any plans for further improvements to the core DLLs and the video processing itself?

Feature-wise, would it be difficult to support YV24? For sure it would be slower and require more memory, but for manual processing with AviSynth I don't think it would be an issue. How much more memory and processing would it require?

Re: New core features?

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic … 635#p63635

10-bit would be nice, sure, although ffdshow doesn't support.

I know the focus is on live playback, but this is also useful for AviSynth manual processing. Since I run SVP in the middle of the script, the ability to process in YV24 and not downscale the chroma into YV12 before further upscaling the image would considerably improve the image quality in my case. I don't think this would be hard to implement.

Then, could the algorithm itself be further be improved or it's mathematically doing the best it can already? Comparing with various other products doing a similar job (including Abobe Optical Flow), it's already doing a great job, yet there's always room for improvements.

Mystery wrote:

10-bit would be nice, sure, although ffdshow doesn't support.

I know the focus is on live playback, but this is also useful for AviSynth manual processing. Since I run SVP in the middle of the script, the ability to process in YV24 and not downscale the chroma into YV12 before further upscaling the image would considerably improve the image quality in my case. I don't think this would be hard to implement.

Then, could the algorithm itself be further be improved or it's mathematically doing the best it can already? Comparing with various other products doing a similar job (including Abobe Optical Flow), it's already doing a great job, yet there's always room for improvements.

You can process 10-bit videos with VapourSynth SVP. That only comes with the paid version though...

The feature tiers need to be restructured IMHO. Free users need to get some form of VapourSynth interpolation, as that's the future of this software.

GPU utilization could be better too. I know the devs said the current usage profile matches average computer hardware these days (average CPU, weak GPU), but the GPU load needs to go up if SVP ever gets a mobile app (which would make the devs a ton of money).

> You can process 10-bit videos with VapourSynth SVP

not true wink

For me the only reason to add real 10-bit processing is playing 4K/HDR rips.
Is mpv capable of proper rendering of such videos? Otherwise core's ability to process in 10 bits will be just useless.

What about YV24 videos? Would it be difficult to support it?

I think that with AMD Ryzen CPUs, octacore will become mainstream - if SVP takes advantage of those (I assume it will), many performance problems will go away automatically

we already have cheap 100$ xeon e5 2670

dlr5668 wrote:

we already have cheap 100$ xeon e5 2670

But LGA2011 motherboards are expensive, large and out of production.

> 100$ xeon e5 2670

Intel's secret weapon against Ryzen big_smile

11 (edited by Mystery 23-02-2017 22:06:07)

... I have an octacore from 3.5 years ago. They still aren't common?

It rocks at video encoding, couldn't believe it the first time I saw it. Unfortunately performance went backwards after that.

Mystery wrote:

... I have an octacore from 3.5 years ago. They still aren't common?

It rocks at video encoding, couldn't believe it the first time I saw it. Unfortunately performance went backwards after that.

anything above 4 cores is still not mainstream so many programs don't really use all the performance they could get from this.
With RyZen on the HoRyzen (sorry, had to be done), this will likely change - especially since the performance seems to rival intel (per core; roughly) but being at a MUCH lower price point (especially if you count the AM4 mainboards).

There are many core features I could suggest like true Variable Framerate video playback by right click on it, select Variable SVPlayback/Dropfix so it would analyze whole video for a minute and then would output desired framerate fluently without switching multiplier every fps change.
Also a possibility to encode it to a new file of course so people could "dropfix" their video if they desire so.
But I didn't throw all my ideas right now because developers still struggle with previous things I suggested.

James D wrote:

There are many core features I could suggest like true Variable Framerate video playback by right click on it, select Variable SVPlayback/Dropfix so it would analyze whole video for a minute and then would output desired framerate fluently without switching multiplier every fps change.
Also a possibility to encode it to a new file of course so people could "dropfix" their video if they desire so.
But I didn't throw all my ideas right now because developers still struggle with previous things I suggested.

Wait, I don't understand this. Why would you need that? What kind of video file changes its framerate constantly?
And even if that is a thing then the people who produce such files need to be educated on doing a better job instead of every program catering to their (to be honest: fucking stupid) needs.

Please understand, this is not an attack on you!

15 (edited by dlr5668 28-02-2017 23:24:39)

NotLikeThis please. Its already bad with Horriblesubs 23.81 CFR fps videos. Have to install MPHC to watch these files.

16 (edited by James D 01-03-2017 10:21:16)

dejavecue wrote:

Wait, I don't understand this. Why would you need that? What kind of video file changes its framerate constantly?
And even if that is a thing then the people who produce such files need to be educated on doing a better job instead of every program catering to their (to be honest: fucking stupid) needs.

Emmm, from the top of my head: live camera recorded videos and captured gameplay. But feel free to google for other cases of VFR videos.