1 (edited by Blackfyre 29-12-2016 12:37:56)

Topic: 4K @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 @ 8-Bit vs 4K @ 60Hz @ 4:2:0 @ 10-Bit

Hi Everyone & Devs,

I remember around a year ago there was discussing regarding 4:4:4 & 4:2:0 and 8-Bit vs 10-Bit (with regards to SVP).

I've purchased the Sony X800D 43" TV and I will be using it connected to my MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X.

I use MPC + Madvr to watch movies and TV shows.

If I want to run a HDR movie, I'd have to set nVidia Control Panel to 4K @ 60Hz @ 4:2:0 @ 10-Bit. Does SVP support 10-Bit content? I am waiting on the TV to arrive, so I have not tested anything yet.

I think it was an ffdShow limitation from my memory on the old discussions, so I am not sure if using a different method/player that doesn't require ffdShow to work with SVP would fix the problem.

Re: 4K @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 @ 8-Bit vs 4K @ 60Hz @ 4:2:0 @ 10-Bit

> Does SVP support 10-Bit content?

it'll be converted to 8 bit 4:2:0

Chainik wrote:

> Does SVP support 10-Bit content?

it'll be converted to 8 bit 4:2:0

Thanks for the reply. How about:

4K @ 4:4:4 @ 60Hz @ 8-Bit

will that get converted to:

4K @ 4:2:0 @ 60Hz @ 8-Bit too?

Is SVP limited to only processing at 4:2:0?

> Is SVP limited to only processing at 4:2:0?

yep

I wonder where exactly are you planning to get 4K HDR 10 bit movies? big_smile

Chainik wrote:

I wonder where exactly are you planning to get 4K HDR 10 bit movies? big_smile

Future proofing my friend lol lol lol I got the TV on a crazy special for less than half-price directly from Sony. Giving my Sony 43" W800C to my brother when the new one arrives.

Also I have a few videos I got that I wanted to test from here:

http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=10bits

I got the TV on a crazy special for less than half-price directly from Sony.
wow, it's cheaper than my phone big_smile

anyway, the only (?) possible source for HDR movies is UHD-BR (not taking into account all that Youtube shit), which is still not cracked
no crack - no playback in 3rd-party players w/o DRM - no SVP

7 (edited by SamE 30-12-2016 04:21:23)

Hi guys i am not sure what the policy is in this forum for this stuff.

But 10 bit HDR UHD-BR movies has been ripped for a while now.
That dosen't mean they have cracked UHD-BR, just that it is possible to downgrade and eliminate HDCP 2.2 to a lower version and (eliminate HDCP?) so they are compatible with HDMI 4K capture cards.

Check out releases from "HDLeader"

on your nearest torrent site for example
https://1337x.to/search/HDLeader/1/

The problem is we don't have any movie player or renderers that support HDMI 2.0 output with HDR 10 bit support and of course SVP dosen't support 10 bit yet either.
But it should run 8 bit 4:2:0, if it works with HDR when players starts to support HDR output i don't know.
So i think the only way to play them now is through a TV's inbuilt player.

As far as i know they are based on "Zeus" ULTRA-Br rips he does that are available
here https://www.katzeus.com/movies.html

8 (edited by Blackfyre 30-12-2016 06:36:51)

SamE wrote:

But it should run 8 bit 4:2:0, if it works with HDR when players starts to support HDR output i don't know.
So i think the only way to play them now is through a TV's inbuilt player.

Thanks for the links.

Yeah from my understanding people download and put content on an external HDD, which is connected directly to the TV via USB (which plays HDR 10Bit content).

However, I thought MPC + Madvr already supports HDR? Madvr certainly has the settings for it under the display settings.

> 10 bit HDR UHD-BR movies has been ripped for a while now

It there any quality comparison tests of those ripped videos?
I mean does they really remain HDR after "4K capture cards"?

Anyway, ffdshow won't ever support 10 bit, so DirectShow way (mpc + madvr) is closed.

Though PotPlayer + direct Vapoursynth interface + madVR could be possible hmm

Still there's a good chance that mpv supports/will support HDR.
Blackfyre, you should do some tests with your fancy new TV and mpv big_smile

10 (edited by SamE 03-01-2017 04:12:13)

Blackfyre wrote:

However, I thought MPC + Madvr already supports HDR? Madvr certainly has the settings for it under the display settings.

No Madvr dosen't yet support HDR output.
What it does support is a very high quality HDR to SDR conversion, so you can watch HDR clips on a non HDR connection with some retained quality enhancement to the SDR version of the clip. If you crank up your backlight(for LCD screens)/OLED light setting and tune madvr's HDR conversion setting for it.

But for some reason madvr and LAV filter dosen't pick up the HDLeaders releases as being HDR BT.2020 files, as it does work with the various demo-uhd3d.com files correctly. I don't know why.
The right media info metadata seems to be included in the mkv.
The HDLeader releases is reported to work on LG HDR 4k and Samsung HDR 4k screens inbuilt players.
One tricky thing is that some releases have ATMOS audio, and at least the LG's can't play that so you will have to remux in som lesser & supported audio track from another release.

As far as i think it works is, HDLeader uses Zeus BT.709 WCG 4k releases and then reinserts the HDR curve with the SMPTE ST2086 static metadata in the mkv somehow.
But i really don't know how he does it, he reveal some info if you read the comments in the 1337x site, but it is really not much to go on.

I don't have access to a real UHD-BR discs or a player, but i have tested a HDR BT.2020 HDLeader release and a "normal" 4k BT.709 Zeus release of the same movie (Mad Max).
And.......it looks AMAZING big_smile

The HDR mkv does activate the HDR function on a compatible LG TV and it does look better (much more intense from the HDR on anything bright and much wider colour palette from the WCG features) than the straight 4k 10 bit 4:2:0 BT.709 Zeus rip. And just the straight Zeus rip looks already more than great. But HDR + WCG on top of that is an whole other level.

I have checked out several of the releases and i think it is legit as far as 4k HDR UHD Rip. Of course i can't compare with the real disc.

The day madvr or another renderer/player with high grade chroma upsampling & 3D lut support + SVP supports HDR output through the new HDR windows 10 interface/API, it will look better than any UHD-BR standalone player can offer smile
And I still hold a hope that madshi will add vaporsynth interface one day to madvr.

So bottom line, if you have a HDR screen and no UHD-BR disc or player.
YOU have to try it out it will blow you away wink Of course depending on how good the screen is though.

The general consensus seems to be, anything LG 4K OLED panel based (LG/Loewe/Panasonic) is the best, then the various high end Samsung and Sony FALD LCD screens and then everything less begins to be less impressive for maximum HDR dynamic range impact.
In terms of maximum contrast and highest light output that the screens can support.

EDIT update

I checked these HDLeder 4K BT.2020 with HDR releases some more.

And unfortunately there is some problems with them.
He has used Zeus normal BT.709 4k UHD release and reinserts the HDR curve with the SMPTE ST2086 static metadata in the mkv.

But he also expands the normal compressed BT.709 gamut to WCG DCI BT.2020.
And the result is over saturated colors sad

On an LG TV you can switch the Color gamut to standard from wide and it will look right again but still with glorious HDR.
This should be possible in madvr if madvr support HDR output in the future also.

Chainik wrote:

Still there's a good chance that mpv supports/will support HDR.
Blackfyre, you should do some tests with your fancy new TV and mpv big_smile

I will do a lot of testing and update you guys on what's happening. I'm just waiting for it to get delivered. I didn't get it today, so that means it won't be coming until next week. Delivery doesn't operate on the weekend in Australia, so I'd be very surprised if it arrived tomorrow or Sunday. Hopefully Monday or Tuesday.

12 (edited by HellsAngel 05-01-2017 13:32:31)

I also got a hdr tv recently and from what i know madvr does support hdr (make sure to unmark ffdshow raw filter svp needs) then when you ctrl+j you see madvr saying 10bit atleast it did here.
as for how to compare hdr to standard i have no idea (other then placing another tv next to it and a normal version of the movie) how to see if its actually hdr or making a difference.

edit : also set madvr to passthru hdr to the display so the display handles it

13 (edited by Blackfyre 06-01-2017 06:02:16)

I'm having issues playing 4K content with Madvr & SVP. Even though I was playing these very same 4K files fine before with my 1080p TV. I think I have an old version of SVP 4 that Chainik gave me before, I might need to retest that one and see if it solves the issue (here comes the fun part of going through old files stored deep down in my external drives haha).

EDIT:

Qt5Script.dll is missing for SVPManager.pro-60.exe that I got which comes with its own Plugins-60 & Script-60 folders. But I guess that dll file doesn't exist anymore with SVP 4.1? I don't know, can you send me that DLL file? @Chainik

EDIT #2:

Uninstalled SVP, and reinstalled 64-Bit everything from the installer. Downloaded MPC 64Bit. 4K content stopped crashing. Everything seems to be working fine now, I will do more testing.

14 (edited by Blackfyre 09-01-2017 01:08:32)

Update, basically fixed the issue of most 4K content by using MPC x64. However I was trying to watch Jason Bourne, which is in 4K x265 10-Bit HEVC and even using Enhanced Video Renderer instead of Madvr did not fix the frame-rate issues. CPU usage goes through the roof. Impossible to watch. Without SVP, just using MPC, the movie uses 45% of the CPU to run.

EDIT:

I changed a lot of things, I think selecting "Keep Normal Size" under "Video Frame" settings fixed the issue... I don't why, but CPU usage decreased significantly.

> won't ever support 10 bit, so DirectShow way (mpc + madvr) is closed.
> Though PotPlayer + direct Vapoursynth interface + madVR could be possible

Well, I made some research on this
1. ffdshow supports P010 (10-bit) only on output - i.e. if you use ffdshow video decoder you may expect it will output P010, BUT ffdshow raw video filter doesn't accept P010 on input
2. Avisynth doesn't support P010/P016 at all, the only possible way is latest beta builds of Avisynth+, however both ffdhsow and PotPlayer works only through the the "official" Avisynth API
3. PotPlayer can only apply Avisynth and Vapoursynth filtering in YV12 colorspace.

As a conclusion the only video player that could possibly render 10/16-bit video with SVP is mpv.

Blackfyre

we really need you to try mpv on your tv! big_smile

16 (edited by Blackfyre 24-01-2017 21:24:03)

Chainik wrote:

As a conclusion the only video player that could possibly render 10/16-bit video with SVP is mpv.

Blackfyre

we really need you to try mpv on your tv! big_smile

Haha thanks for the reply. Yeah I forgot to update about that. 10-Bit content looks fantastic with MPV (Right click on SVP and "Open file via MPV"). However, it lags! HORRIBLY! CPU usage is through the roof, and the video is just unwatchable. I see one frame move every few seconds. So if there's a way to change MPV settings, let me know. That would be great. Check the picture below of SVP Performance Monitor.

http://i.imgur.com/jFDG9fI.jpg

EDIT #1:

Changing the profile to AUTOMATIC, and then using the slider to put it on Higher Performance + High Artifact Masking and now it works perfectly smooth at around 40% CPU usage with my 4790K @ 4.6Ghz right now. But I can't use my custom settings with 10-Bit content. It requires much more power to work than 8-Bit videos. I'm going to go test Jason Bourne, I think I have that in 4K @ 10-Bit.

EDIT #2: It all depends on the content... Some content lags like crazy no matter what...

Done in ver.105!

Only Vapoursynth-based players though - mpv, Plex, VLC, ...
GPU acceleration must be enabled.

See App. settings -> Additional options -> Allow output in 10 bit color depth

Still only 4:2:0 output, and this won't change any time soon, probably never.

18 (edited by Blackfyre 05-03-2017 01:16:37)

Chainik wrote:

Done in ver.105!

Only Vapoursynth-based players though - mpv, Plex, VLC, ...
GPU acceleration must be enabled.

See App. settings -> Additional options -> Allow output in 10 bit color depth

Still only 4:2:0 output, and this won't change any time soon, probably never.

Great! It's killing me though, I have Jason Bourne in 4K 10Bit, but I cannot run it smoothly. CPU usage is at 100% and it cannot handle it. Using MPV.
I have other content in 4K, they all run smoothly and fine with around 50% to 60% CPU usage with MPC + Madvr, but 10Bit 4K is a no go with SVP + MPV.

My 4790K @ 4.6Ghz cannot handle it, even if I choose automatic profile and set it to higher performance, CPU usage is still around 100% and it cannot be handled.

Edit: On Automatic profile @ higher performance, using MPC+Madvr it runs fine, but not in 10Bit obviously; the Jason Bourne movie uses 60% CPU. In comparison, The Grand Tour @ 4K with MPC+Madvr runs with 22% CPU usage not using my settings, using automatic profile and higher performance preset as with Jason Bourne movie.

With my custom profile, even MPC+Madvr can't run Jason Bourne smoothly, even though it's not running in 10Bit, the CPU struggles running @ 100%.

The main question I have; is there a way to edit all the MPV settings? Because ALL 4K content cannot be handled with MPV. They all use high CPU usage and drop frames.

I have not tested with VLC yet.

Blackfyre
10bit decoding in some cases can't use hardware acceleration, So it uses CPU.
You need to reduce SVP settings to use it with 10bit videos.

20 (edited by Blackfyre 05-03-2017 10:36:02)

MAG79 wrote:

Blackfyre
10bit decoding in some cases can't use hardware acceleration, So it uses CPU.
You need to reduce SVP settings to use it with 10bit videos.

How do I set up VLC to work with SVP?

I've downloaded VLC 2.2.4 x64 and I've added/installed the VLC support files from SVP Maintenance Manager.

Do I need to change some settings with VLC? Because I am running videos fine, but SVP is NOT being activated while using VLC.

EDIT:

Followed the instructions and set it up, was slightly confusing at first, but got around it, forgot to add the environmental variables the first time, it worked the second time.

Problem is my CPU still cannot handle the 10Bit 4K files (even with the lowest SVP settings), however the strange thing is VLC & MPV demand MUCH MORE power than MPC + Madvr + SVP.

It's strange because using MPC+Madvr+SVP I can run any 4K content (except 10Bit 4K) using my own custom settings for SVP very smoothly. Maybe it's because the LAV Video Filter is directing NVIDIA CUVID to do hardware acceleration for HEVC? While using VLC & MPV, the CPU tries to do this decoding, and it just adds A LOT more power on it that it cannot handle?

https://mpv.io/manual/master/#video

--hwdec=<api>
"auto-copy selects only modes that copy the video data back to system memory after decoding. Currently, this selects only one of the following modes: vaapi-copy, dxva2-copy, d3d11va-copy"
"cuda-copy:    copies video back to system RAM (Any platform CUDA is available)"

Chainik wrote:

https://mpv.io/manual/master/#video

--hwdec=<api>
"auto-copy selects only modes that copy the video data back to system memory after decoding. Currently, this selects only one of the following modes: vaapi-copy, dxva2-copy, d3d11va-copy"
"cuda-copy:    copies video back to system RAM (Any platform CUDA is available)"

What is this? Can I input this code somewhere to make MPV use my GPU for x265 HEVC decoding instead of the CPU?

If so, please include instructions or link me to a thread where it has already been discussed on how to do all this.

---

Also instead of making a new thread, I'll just post this here, new MPC just came out 5 minutes ago. I update through SVP, so I'll wait for it there smile

> What is this?

https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVP:mpv#Basic_settings