1 (edited by c.wiedmann 23-01-2017 10:03:53)

Topic: Can I get help choosing the best profiles?

Hey guys,

Im a huge fan of this project and now got the Pro Version in order to use it to its full potential.

But I'm having trouble getting the profiles set for both of my screens. I have an Samsung 4K TV on which I watch most of the time, resolution here is 4096*2160 with 60hz, my other display on which I watch from time to time is an ROG Swift with 2560x1440 with 144hz. I don't know if the big screens resolution need to be like that, Im very open for assistance.

My machine specs are Asus GTX 1070, i7 6700k @4Ghz and DDR4-3200 16GB RipJaws Dual Kit, running on Win10 x64.

Before buying Pro I didn't tweak any options and always had a decent experience, only stuttering from time to time.
Now I just reinstalled windows and was trying things out and I can't watch any video without massive stuttering.

Also I wondered if I should install the x64 tools instead of x86 but I thought I suppose I shouldnt ignore the installers recommendations.

I'd really appreciate any kind of help!

Re: Can I get help choosing the best profiles?

imo x64 is the way to go. Try either mpv (best but harder to setup), potplayer or vlc.

I've never used any other player than mpc for svp. Care to elaborate why it is harder and how to switch to mpv?

> Before buying Pro I didn't tweak any options and always had a decent experience, only stuttering from time to time.
> Now I just reinstalled windows and was trying things out and I can't watch any video without massive stuttering.

I must say that both SVP 4 Free and Pro behave exactly the same at default settings.
So if it used to work flawlessly with Free version and stutters with Pro after OS reinstallation then the problem is not in switching from Free to Pro but in updated video driver version/settings or some other filters in use (like madVR)

5 (edited by c.wiedmann 23-01-2017 15:30:02)

Alright, so I get the message that Im using OpenCL which could interfer with SVP. No idea how to disable that. Do I need to downgrade the drivers?

I found that Im supposed to chance LAV Video Decoder from NVIDIA CUVID to DXVA2, but I can't find that option anywhere..

Are there still any profile-setting suggestions one could give me? If I keep using automatic mode I could've stayed with free I guess.

Other than that I got ReClock, ffdshow, AviSynth and MadVR installed (all with mpc x86).

Edit: DXVA was activated the whole time.

I did a couple reinstalls of SVP with the above mentioned programs included and couldn't get it to work properly. When I fullscreen on my ROG Swift I cant see any stutters. But as soon as I leave the fullscreen mode the screen turns black and windows does not respond to ALT+F4 or Taskmanager commands, while I still hear the sound of the movie playing.

Fullscreen exclusive mode in video renderer settings = on / off

Also depending on the type of stuttering it can be just a well-known issue with playback on secondary monitor in Windows.
Try to make it primary or even turn off 2nd one.

Chainik wrote:

Fullscreen exclusive mode in video renderer settings = on / off

Can you tell me where to find that option exactly? SVP or mpc? There's a bunch of settings and I feel a tad disoriented, thanks for helping!

MPC-HC options -> Playback -> Output -> D3D Fullscreen - this's for EVR-CP renderer

For the madVR - madVR's options -> redering -> general settings -> enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode
though there're a lot of other options here that can affect playback fulency

Thanks alot, I can now freely go in and out of fullscreen, but the stuttering got worse and now also affects the sound, which is now completely asynchronous. Not watchable at all.. The performance window shows that my system is running at 70% capacity the whole time when I watch something in 720p even if I slide more to the left (performance) and put the artifacts masking on medium.

I could easily crank that up to highest quality and high masking without the performance being so massively impaired.

When I try to play 4k content the frame freezes immediately and sometimes the sound gets stuck and continues to loop in a horrible way even if I kill all related tasks, leaving me no other option but to reboot my machine.

c.wiedmann wrote:

Thanks alot, I can now freely go in and out of fullscreen, but the stuttering got worse and now also affects the sound, which is now completely asynchronous. Not watchable at all.. The performance window shows that my system is running at 70% capacity the whole time when I watch something in 720p even if I slide more to the left (performance) and put the artifacts masking on medium.

Using something like NNEDI3 upscaling in MPC maybe? That stuff is really tough on hardware.

c.wiedmann wrote:

I could easily crank that up to highest quality and high masking without the performance being so massively impaired.

When I try to play 4k content the frame freezes immediately and sometimes the sound gets stuck and continues to loop in a horrible way even if I kill all related tasks, leaving me no other option but to reboot my machine.

Real 4K content is 4 times the number of pixels to look at for SVP. Even at the lowest settings, most systems will struggle to achieve even double fps, something like 5/2 * fps is probably really reaching it. Even if you had a 1080.

For 4K content I really just set my monitor to an integer multiple of the framerate (i.e. 48Hz for 23.976fps content) and let smoothmotion (or interpolation if you use mpv) do its magic.

>  i7 6700k @4Ghz
>  my system is running at 70% capacity the whole time when I watch something in 720p

you know this's not normal, right?

Chainik wrote:

>  i7 6700k @4Ghz
>  my system is running at 70% capacity the whole time when I watch something in 720p

you know this's not normal, right?

Yes^^ that's why I thought its worth mentioning.

I'll try dejevecue's tips tomorrow, thanks again for helping me out guys!

you probably have image upscaling turned on - i.e. SVP interpolates 720p upscaled to 4K screen
SVP's menu -> Video frame -> Keep normal size

15 (edited by c.wiedmann 25-01-2017 13:02:03)

dejavecue wrote:

Using something like NNEDI3 upscaling in MPC maybe? That stuff is really tough on hardware.

I didn't change any options in mpc after installing, so my guess is no. But also Im a sucker when it comes to finding stuff in those options. Could you explain me how to check on that?

dejavecue wrote:

For 4K content I really just set my monitor to an integer multiple of the framerate (i.e. 48Hz for 23.976fps content) and let smoothmotion (or interpolation if you use mpv) do its magic.

I do not use mpv, but Im absolutely open to using it if it allows me to play 4k content. Could you also tell me how I set that up?

Chainik wrote:

you probably have image upscaling turned on - i.e. SVP interpolates 720p upscaled to 4K screen

That was the case, changed it. 720p movies now play flawless on my gaming monitor and big screen. Hell yeah wink Thanks alot, but when I now start to play 4k content in mpc it immediately crashed with the error

WARNING: Following frames may be wrong.
ffdshow+0x5e69
ffdshow+0x8ad1

16 (edited by c.wiedmann 25-01-2017 13:12:46)

Also I've found some settings to an 4k profile in this thread from Blackfyre which I created just like he posted it. But now SVP uses this profile all the time, even though I switch to automatic when I watch 720p. That shouldn't be right? https://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3739

My machine load is back at 60-70% when watching non-4k-content on both of my screens. Video frame is still set to keep normal size. 4k content of course still not working sad

c.wiedmann wrote:
dejavecue wrote:

c.wiedmann wrote:

I didn't change any options in mpc after installing, so my guess is no. But also Im a sucker when it comes to finding stuff in those options. Could you explain me how to check on that?

I don't use mpc, but as far as I remember, if you did not change anything, upscaling is either off by default or using a really fast upscaler, so that should not be the problem.

dejavecue wrote:

c.wiedmann wrote:

I do not use mpv, but Im absolutely open to using it if it allows me to play 4k content. Could you also tell me how I set that up?

I am not at home at the moment and the University stress kind of prohibits me from writing extensively on the topic of mpv, however:
If you are comfortable with:
Command Line Players (although with some hacks this is not necessary); i.e. effecting playback from the command line
Config file manipulation to achieve anything the players wants (i.e. the player has no GUI or settings dialogues).
MPV is actually developed to be a player backend, not a full player
You must also be willing to read the manual - the developers will not spoonfeed us.

Chainik wrote:

Also depending on the type of stuttering it can be just a well-known issue with playback on secondary monitor in Windows.
Try to make it primary or even turn off 2nd one.

Stuttering is a well-known issue with playback w/ a second monitor?

Yup. Stuttering on second monitor is often issue. It is windows DirectX issue with audio-video synchronization on secondary monitor.
At forum:
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic … 480#p55480
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2588
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic … 094#p27094