Re: Why Artifacts ?

VB_SVP wrote:

I can't say I've noticed Complicated ever producing visuals worse than standard.

Behold:
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic … 778#p60778

Just note that the attached video clip is less than 15 seconds, so you'll need to manually override the "minimum video duration" setting in SVP's "All settings".

Thank you very much for all the support guys !
Didn't check this thread for a couple of weeks.

Purchased Gomorrha Season 2 Blu Ray today, cause I'm just addicted to this series, it's marvelous !
But I will run into the same problem again - how to play it fluid ?

So I tried SVP and I liked it. smile
Yes, there are artifacts but when I compared it to a totally new 4K Ultra HD-TV, it also has the artifacts when I play my blu ray disc !
For me it still looks better than 60Hz stuttering.
I guess there is no flawless fluid playback possible for material, that has not been filmed with flawless fluid motion.
Sorry but I don't know how to describe it better. big_smile

But now I ran into another problem with SVP:
What software should I use to play my blu-rays ?

My blu ray drive is a LG.
It came with PowerDVD to play all DVD and Blu Ray.
But SVP doesn't work with PowerDVD !

Somehow I can't manage to find a player for my blu ray discs, which supports SVP.
When I want to use MPC-HC for blu ray playback, it forces me to remove the copy protection !
To remove the copy protection, I need additional software.
I tried AnyDVD and it worked good so far, but it was limited to 1 month.
It would cost 59€ to get AnyDVD for one year.

You know, I pay for entertainment, I support filmmakers, I buy their products.
But it all collapses for me when I want the fluid SVP playback.
SVP itself is a good thing and worth supporting and worth the money.
The thing what bugs me about AnyDVD  - it's not legal here.
And why the hell do I have to pay any more additional things, just to watch the blu-ray discs which I also already paid for ?!

Ok, what I need is a software to legaly play my blu-ray disc and use SVP with it.
I've tried several players mentioned from SVP, but somehow not one of them actually plays my blu ray disc ?!
I get blackscreens, no function at all, I can't remember anything that worked for me besides removing the copy protection, which I don't want to do and it costs per year.
It makes me feel like a copyright pirate.

Please help me to just play a blu-ray disc using SVP !
What legal player can I use for playback with SVP ?

28 (edited by brucethemoose 09-10-2016 06:01:22)

Rowk wrote:

Thank you very much for all the support guys !
Didn't check this thread for a couple of weeks.

Purchased Gomorrha Season 2 Blu Ray today, cause I'm just addicted to this series, it's marvelous !
But I will run into the same problem again - how to play it fluid ?

So I tried SVP and I liked it. smile
Yes, there are artifacts but when I compared it to a totally new 4K Ultra HD-TV, it also has the artifacts when I play my blu ray disc !
For me it still looks better than 60Hz stuttering.
I guess there is no flawless fluid playback possible for material, that has not been filmed with flawless fluid motion.
Sorry but I don't know how to describe it better. big_smile

But now I ran into another problem with SVP:
What software should I use to play my blu-rays ?

My blu ray drive is a LG.
It came with PowerDVD to play all DVD and Blu Ray.
But SVP doesn't work with PowerDVD !

Somehow I can't manage to find a player for my blu ray discs, which supports SVP.
When I want to use MPC-HC for blu ray playback, it forces me to remove the copy protection !
To remove the copy protection, I need additional software.
I tried AnyDVD and it worked good so far, but it was limited to 1 month.
It would cost 59€ to get AnyDVD for one year.

You know, I pay for entertainment, I support filmmakers, I buy their products.
But it all collapses for me when I want the fluid SVP playback.
SVP itself is a good thing and worth supporting and worth the money.
The thing what bugs me about AnyDVD  - it's not legal here.
And why the hell do I have to pay any more additional things, just to watch the blu-ray discs which I also already paid for ?!

Ok, what I need is a software to legaly play my blu-ray disc and use SVP with it.
I've tried several players mentioned from SVP, but somehow not one of them actually plays my blu ray disc ?!
I get blackscreens, no function at all, I can't remember anything that worked for me besides removing the copy protection, which I don't want to do and it costs per year.
It makes me feel like a copyright pirate.

Please help me to just play a blu-ray disc using SVP !
What legal player can I use for playback with SVP ?

Welcome to the wonderful world of video DRM. The theory is that the DRM stops you from just ripping the disc and uploading it on TPB... You can see how well that worked out for yourself.

Technically none of it is legal in the US since you're trying to circumvent the disc's DRM. Not sure if links to that sort of thing are OK here, isn't this technically a Russian forum?

Rowk
> PowerDVD
This software has its own smoothing technology: TrueTheater Motion. It less fluid and has a little more artifacts comparing to SVP. It was so when I tested it a year ago.
So try it. It is the only way with PowerDVD and legal.

SVP can't help here because it can't work with PowerDVD.

Thank you for the response !
As far as I know, TrueTheater Motion only works with DVD, not for Blu-ray...
I can't get it to work with any blu-ray disc.
You can setup the video options for it, but as soon as the blu-ray plays, it sets back to hardware acceleration and TrueTheater Motion is off and greyed.
CyberLink support is not helping, only gesturing to limited platform power.
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/produc … p;prodId=1
It's just not helping and not believable, an i5-6600K and GTX 1070 is not capable of rendering that ?!
I guess PowerDVD is off the table, they just can't handle 1080p content and won't admit it. sad
SVP proofed to me, that my system has definately enough horse power to do that.

So there's no way around removing the copy protection to use SVP ?
May I ask, why don't you program your own player ?
You guys seem to know a lot about it. Turn Smooth Video Project into the Smooth Video Player ! big_smile

The thing with AnyDVD, as far as I understand, it's not illegal to own it here.
It's illegal to purchase it here. But when I purchase it from another country, there seems to be no problem.
It's legal to duplicate a copy of your disc as your own backup.
But it's illegal to upload that backup anywhere on the internet.

I could live with that, but it bugs me to pay 59€ per year, just to remove an useless copy protection, in order to watch my blu-ray disc. I don't watch blu-ray nonstop, sometimes on a weekend I want to enjoy a couple of episodes of my favourite series. It's such a mess, I won't pay per year just to use it 20 times.
I won't pay per lifetime, cause I don't know when those companies will get shut down.
It bugs me to pay for software that is used to break copyright, since I wanna do the complete opposite - pay for my disc and enjoy the entertainment.

You probably think, so what - just rip your own backup and use MPC-HC to playback the MKV files...
But those files are huge - I don't have enough free diskspace to save all that, that's why I buy the disc. sad

I've just tried PowerDVD 16.
TrueTheater Motion disabled when I open Bluray whole and it can't be enabled.
But I can enable TrueTheater Motion if I open one *.m2ts file separately from folder BDMV\STREAM at Bluray disc.
Such way you can watch your BD without menu but with a little smoothing by "TrueTheater Motion". Try it.

P.S. After update PowerDVD to Build 2011 the option TrueTheater Motion works another way: it still enabled when watching BD.

Post's attachments

PDVD_TrueTheater_Motion_with_BD.png, 74.39 kb, 477 x 723
PDVD_TrueTheater_Motion_with_BD.png 74.39 kb, 400 downloads since 2016-10-10 

Thank you very much !
I've tried it with PowerDVD 10 and 12...but it tells me, it's not able to play that format.
For the PowerDVD 16 trial, CyberLink mentions:
VC-1/H.264/Blu-ray format playback in the trial version is limited to systems with hardware acceleration.
So without buying the full version, it seems like it will be stuck with hardware accelereation again. sad
I'm not gonna buy it without seeing how good it works.

But well, yesterday I've purchased a big 3TB harddrive, guess I will just rip my own backups then and use MPC-HC with SVP to watch my series.
It will take some days to get them on the drive, but I'm so tired of searching for solutions.
As long as I own the original Blu-ray discs, I don't see a problem with it.
Actually I see more advantages to it - I get more space for my computer, I never have to change the disc again to watch the next episode, I don't need to buy any copy protection removal software, no more blu-ray drive noise, sounds like a win !

33 (edited by Rowk 11-10-2016 23:44:58)

Greetings,
I've started ripping my discs as backup.
Also purchased SVP4 Pro.
But I can't get it to run !
I've made all changes to set up the player, but SVP is like dead.
It says that there's no playback, but I'm currently playing a MKV with MPC-HC.
Some setting must be missing.
Do you have any idea what's wrong ?

The log says:
01:05:33.335 [W]: VideoPlayer: new instance found in mpc-hc.exe but SVP can't talk to it.
Edit: Nevermind, I found it - needs to start everything as Admin.
But something is still wrong, SVP is now acitvated, but I still see stuttering. Any idea how to fix it ?

Use tearing test line to know what stuttering are here: SVP tray menu - Utilities - Fluency and tearing test
The orange line must move without stuttering.

Thank you, I'm currently running into more problems. sad
When using MPC-HC for playback, it freezes my system when returning from fullscreen to desktop.
The screen stays black and nothing can't be done anymore, not hotkey, no taskmanager, only system reset fixes it.

Thought I'll give VLC a try, since I used it before for everything except blu-ray.
But I can't get it to work with SVP.
I've installed Python and Vapoursynth and set folder permissions.
Both SVP and VLC run as admin.
But again, SVP tells me there is no active playback.

36 (edited by Rowk 12-10-2016 13:44:40)

The orange line is slightly stuttering.
I've tried the PotPlayer now, downloaded the latest version and setup the ffdshow raw video filter and DXVA settings.
SVP is active, but it's still stuttering ! sad
Also I can't see any artifacts, it's like SVP is off.
Both PotPlayer and SVP run as admin.
I don't know what to do, it doesn't work anymore.

There's no difference between Best Quality or Best Performance.
Logfile says:

VideoPlayer: new ffdshow video [406cc] in PotPlayerMini.exe (32-bit) [PotPlayer 0.0.0.0] on screen 0
Media: video 1920x1080 [PAR 1.000] at 25.000 fps [constant]
Media: codec type is AVC, YUV/4:2:0/8 bits
Playback: starting up...
Playback [406cc]: Frame server (32-bit) 0.1.0.0, AviSynth+ 0.1 (r1779, MT, i386), C:\Windows\SysWOW64\avisynth.dll
Playback [406cc]: resulting video frame 1920x1080
Playback [406cc]: 1 acceptible profiles, best is 'Automatisch' [0]
Playback [406cc]: enabled while video is playing
Profile: using auto values [5]
Playback [406cc]: playing at 50 [50 *1/1]
Playback [406cc]: black fields changed to QMargins(0, 22, 0, 22)
Playback [406cc]: resulting video frame 1920x1036 [1920x1080 -> cropped -> 1920x1036]
Playback [406cc]: 1 acceptible profiles, best is 'Automatisch' [0]
Playback [406cc]: keep previously selected profile 'Automatisch'
Profile: using auto values [5]
FFDShow: remove instance [406cc]
Playback [406cc]: disabled while video is stopped
Playback [406cc]: deleted

Rowk wrote:

Your video already has high framerate. 50 fps.
By default video with high framerate are not smoothed by SVP. You need to adjust one setting:
SVP tray menu - Application settings - Additional options - All settings... - change value of frc.target.max from 47 to 60 if you have 60 Hz display.

Thanks for helping !
My display is a Dell S2716DG, it supports up to 144Hz.
In this case for watching Gomorrha with SVP, I switched to 100Hz.

I just found this video on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBetSBEglbA

I've already tried it and tested on a few files and I must say the result is quite good (no visible artifacts so far).
I'm running on i5-3570 4g and Sparkle Geforce GT220 1GB DDR3.

What do you guys think?

destiny82 wrote:

I've already tried it and tested on a few files and I must say the result is quite good (no visible artifacts so far).

What do you guys think?

Youtube guides in 2016
http://files.gamebanana.com/img/ico/sprays/57822c19e1ad1.png

dlr5668 wrote:

Youtube guides in 2016
http://files.gamebanana.com/img/ico/spr … 9e1ad1.png

You aren't exactly the target audience...

destiny82 wrote:

What do you guys think?

It looks interesting, but what files did you play with it ?
At the end of video, it was mentioned that he had no problems playing 480p videos...
Can anyone confirm a fluid playback with 1080p files ?
I'm kind of afraid to try it out, cause it took me a while to setup everything as it works now.

Thank you for the advice !

@ Rowk, I've tested on a few 1080p files, Korean Music Video, youtube movie trailers.
I think if you already found your best setting on svp, I don't recommend try that guide. That guide still have artifacts if you watch closely.
My eyes are sensitive to artifacts so I can't stand the artifacts....so I just stay away for the moment from motion interpolation. sad

Ok, thank you for the feedback !

I guess it won't change that you see artifacts, until they start filming material in 60fps.
Sadly, there is no hardware or software that can predict movement.
That's probably the reason, why it's not possible to play a 24fps movie in 60fps, without seeing some flaws here and there.

Maybe one day, they'll find a way to tell the hardware or software, in what direction things will move, while there is no frame for it.
So that they don't have to film in 60fps, but give your TV the information for flawless motion interpolation.
Instead of simulating the movement and take a guess how it moves, the player could get this information from a file.   
I could imagine it takes less disk space than 60fps material.

How's that for SVP 5 ? You put a blu-ray in your drive, SVP 5 reads the data from it and will save a file on your computer which contains all movement. So the next time, when you play the movie, there's no need for simulating anything - SVP 5 will know how things move from the file and give us flawless fluid playback.
You gotta have a dream ! big_smile

Or when CD and Blu-ray reach their capacity, maybe we will buy movies on USB-Sticks - they already sell 1TB sticks.
They could film in 60fps if there is enough space to save all material...

45 (edited by dlr5668 19-10-2016 12:46:11)

Rowk wrote:

That's probably the reason, why it's not possible to play a 24fps movie in 60fps, without seeing some flaws here and there.

most ppl here watch 24fps content in 48/72/96/120 Hz and dont have that much problem with artifacts

Rowk wrote:

They could film in 60fps if there is enough space to save all material...

Space is already not an issue - you can have equivalent quality at double the frame rate with only like a 20% increase in bitrate.