1 (edited by fohrums 20-08-2016 04:50:53)

Topic: VLC (beta) | Howto: Enable | followed wiki, then get "engine error"

Last-Updated: 20160819_1319
1) Found that SVP users have brought SMPlayer to full awareness, so I followed `SVP:smplayer` guide and got best of both worlds (literally).  Keeping in mind that it only works when drag/drop video onto player. But,.. I still want the VLC problem to be solved.

I've been following SVP since it's initial launch. I've managed to keep up to date with you guys via VideoHelp. Now I have stopped using SVP when I preferred to use more popular players like VLC & MPV in both which SVP didn't work with.

Now i've managed to stumble back to see it's progression and decided to purchase the Pro-ver., only to find out that I get an error using my preferred video player with it.

# SPECS

* win10_Home_x64
* SVP_Pro_4.0.0.90
  + enabled install for VLC & MPV.

___

## INSTALLATION

* SVP officially has a VLC-InstallGuide, which is the one I followed accordingly
  + Guide: https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVP:VLC.

* Steps (relayed off from guide)
  + Prerequisites
    - `SVP_Pro_*`
    - `Vapoursynth64`
    - `Python_3.5.*`
  + Install `SVP_Pro_*`
  + Method-1 for Vapoursynth detection
    - add `~/SVP 4/mpv64` to `EnvPath`
  + Method-2 for Vapoursynth detection
    - install python
    - install Vapoursynth (but installer has no 64, really- writers of guide...)
    - add `~/Vapoursynth/<???>`to `EnvPath`
  + Make `~/VLC/plugins/video_filter` folder writable to the SVP Manager process
    - right-click that folder > Properties > Security-tab > Allow all as `user`
  + Ensure `VLC-filter_Vapoursynth` is apparent
    - VLC > Preferences > Show settings: All > Search: "vapoursynth"
    - if listed, it's therefore installed and should work
  + Enable `VLC-deinterlace_On`

* Finish. Now play a video and ensure it's working by viewing VLC's console
  + Upon VLC video playback > CTRL+M > See if Vapoursynth is working correctly without errors

## ERROR

* Once I installed SVP & followed the guide I get this following error according to VLC's console:

```
deinterlace error: VapourSynth engine error - possibly corrupted installation
core error: Failed to create video filter2 'deinterlace'
core error: Failed to add filter 'deinterlace'
deinterlace error: VapourSynth engine error - possibly corrupted installation
core error: Failed to create video filter2 'deinterlace'
core error: Failed to add filter 'deinterlace'
```

___

### NOTE

* SVP:mpv works as it should, but NOT SVP:vlc
* When adding things to `EnvPath` you have to re-login in via restarting PC or logging-out then logging-back in.
* Because i've installed VLC pac kage using the installer
  + SVP > Utilities > `SVP in VLC` is already enabled.

### WHY VLC?

* I prefer the direction of using the `one-ecosystem` style
  + I would prefer to use MPV if it only had a GUI and an working Android-remote.
  + If following `SVP:smplayer` guide, it's exactly this. Just so you're aware.
  + It's better to install SMPlayer after SVP as you'll have to end up re-installing it incase it doesn't work right off the bat.
    - keep in mind, SVP:smplayer needs `Python_3.*` to avoid system hang / crash (or Oops! error).
    - SVP still doesn't recognize smplayer's playback, then re-install the player as it should be after `SVP` & `Python_3.*`
* I've always been fond of the more popular Open-Source softwares.

### SUGGESTION

* Please tighten-up or compact your info for your guides to make it easier on the eyes.
  + It's extremely hard to read and comprehend
    - so much back & forthness when reading
  + Must have good taste.

2 (edited by brucethemoose 19-08-2016 06:41:40)

Re: VLC (beta) | Howto: Enable | followed wiki, then get "engine error"

What version of VLC did you install?

Also, some MPV GUIs better than SMPlayer are being developed atm, so be sure to check back here every once in awhile. SMPlayer is kind of funky.

EDIT: And for an Android remote, I just use "Remote Mouse" atm. A little clunky, obviously, but I prefer having a track pad + keyboard over being restricted to whatever functionality a remote has.

> VapourSynth engine error - possibly corrupted installation

set PYTHONPATH env variable to Vapoursynth installation dir

4 (edited by dlr5668 19-08-2016 12:12:55)

fohrums wrote:

Dont forget you can use Kodi as GUI (+trakt.tv support +streaming) and mpv as player https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7ysP … -01-35.jpg
Who the f*** need mpv gui when you can easy setup it via config file https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-knWB … -05-49.png
Kodi
☑ Opensource
☑ No need to drag and drop big_smile
☑ One eco system
☑ GUI
☑ Kinda stable
☑ Android support

5 (edited by brucethemoose 19-08-2016 18:56:44)

dlr5668 wrote:
fohrums wrote:

Dont forget you can use Kodi as GUI (+trakt.tv support +streaming) and mpv as player https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7ysP … -01-35.jpg
Who the f*** need mpv gui when you can easy setup it via config file https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-knWB … -05-49.png
Kodi
☑ Opensource
☑ No need to drag and drop big_smile
☑ One eco system
☑ GUI
☑ Kinda stable
☑ Android support

Ya'll should write a wiki entry for Kodi + mpv + svp. Or better yet, add Kodi as an installer option (if their license permits it).

I didn't even know it was possible until now.

6 (edited by fohrums 20-08-2016 05:11:40)

dlr5668 wrote:

Dont forget you can use Kodi as GUI (+trakt.tv support +streaming) and mpv as player https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7ysP … -01-35.jpg.

This is interesting, but I don't plan on using a HomeTheater-player tongue.

dlr5668 wrote:

(mpv is so much more comforting constructing it via config-file vs. having it be controlled with a GUI.) https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-knWB … -05-49.png

Hhhsst. roll, First off I wouldn't come at people like that. I simply understand your point-of-view though cool. I could even say a player with an installer- along with a GUI is wayy more convenient especially in times of dire-urgent need. But I am more concerned for file-associations which is what I found SMPlayer to be extremely more helpful with vs. using VLC. Food for thought.

SMPlayer is now my player of choice, folks wink. I would imagine people not using it due to it's looks, but because of it it's more noticeable and I know it's a player on my screen making it easier to navigate to it to close it (thank god there's mouse-click@screen to move!).

# SMPlayer

* PRO
  + works with SVP + MPV with just minor configuration
  + appropriate design for purpose of media playback
  + very easy settings to understand and not be overwhelmed by
  + consistently updated
  + easy "Open configuration folder" @Help
  + definitely a "NICHE" piece here for those looking for this very specific kind of player.

* CON
  + although doesn't bother me at all, it's design may have some people shrug their shoulders.
  + no subtitle disable, but instead they prefer to keep it either shown / hidden (settings saved)
  + can't have audio-delay set to save.

I haven't had much time to use it to understand the method for updating SMPlayer as i'm currently dependent on VideoHelp notification when subscribed to this player. I like to think SMPlayer doesn't need an export configuration function as it's simple enough to not need too much configuration as it's literally PERFECT as is.