Topic: Not great at computers, but would like to try svp.

Hey,

I have a Dell XPS 15 L521X, i7 QM processor , 2gb Nvidia card , 8gb ram.

Is this ok for 1080 video with svp? If not, would upgrading to 16gb ram and an SSD for running windows and programs help? I'm doing the SSD upgrade anyway, figure if the ram would help I can do that at the same time..

Thanks for your insight!

Re: Not great at computers, but would like to try svp.

Hey, svp is mainly cpu limited so the upgrades won't really help but your cpu should be strong enough to get things working. You could try svp4, just install and you're good to go, but I've been getting better results with the old svp 3 branch. Follow the install guide here - https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVP3:User … alling_SVP choose SVP Full and skip the optional components. Once everything is installed double click on the svp icon in the tray and set it to look like this http://i.imgur.com/LlmX6yg.png

If that works then enjoy! If not then let me know and I'll try to help

3 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 22-01-2016 20:41:30)

woopdeedoodaa wrote:

but I've been getting better results with the old svp 3 branch

Well I, conversely, have had much better results with SVP4 than I did with SVP3 (SVP4 was faster than 3.1.6 and not a flicker-fest like 3.1.7).

Thank you very much for the advice, I shall have a go of it.

To be fair it has been a while since I tried svp4 so that might not reflect the current state of things, must update and try again. And good luck riot_9

6 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 23-01-2016 20:57:08)

woopdeedoodaa wrote:

To be fair it has been a while since I tried svp4 so that might not reflect the current state of things, must update and try again

My experience with SVP4 has been better than 3.1.7 since even the pre-release and beta versions.

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
woopdeedoodaa wrote:

To be fair it has been a while since I tried svp4 so that might not reflect the current state of things, must update and try again

My experience with SVP4 has been better than 3.1.7 since even the ore-release and beta versions.

Thanks for bringing up svp 4, I've updated it and I'm getting at least as good results as svp 3.1.7, if not better. It might have been a driver update in the meantime that was giving me bad results. Either way I'd now recommended svp4 to you riot_9. Fairly simple and straightforward, start with the settings on film, low artifact masking and maximum performance and if that works for you increase the performance/quality slider bit by bit until you are getting as much quality as you can while still getting a stable 60fps. Let us know how you got on.

Thanks again for the advice! I downloaded the program but will not have a chance to play around with it until Monday. The advice has been greatly appreciated. Thanks!