1 (edited by tingtong5 30-11-2015 15:08:13)

Topic: SVP defaults gives me bad performance (CPU FX8350)

I am using svp3.1.7 on an AMD FX-8350 4 GHz 8 core CPU. I am using profile 5 (as recommended by the performance assesment). Video is smooth and artifacts are tolerable, but already soon the CPU hits 90% or more and video gets stuttering. All 8 cores are used.

I am watching 1920x1080p@24fps content while outputting 60 fps by SVP.

Even when tuning back both motion vectors precision and motion vectors grid one step, this still happens (but less frequent).

Any idea what could cause this?

Thanks for any hints.

Re: SVP defaults gives me bad performance (CPU FX8350)

tingtong5
What videocard are you using? Enable GPU-acceleration in SVP, enable GPU decoding. It will reduce CPU load.
What renderer in MPC-HC are you using? I recommend to use madVR or EVR Custom with D3D Fullscreen option.

BTW 90% CPU load is high. To get smooth playback you need to get 80% CPU load to avoid freezes at difficult places in the video.

3 (edited by tingtong5 30-11-2015 15:34:51)

I am using a card with Nvidia Geforce GTX-750.

GPU-accelaration is already enabled, but I cannot recall to have seen an option named GPU decoding in SVP, where can I enable it?

I am using Kodi DSplayer build with madVR as video renderer and reclock as audio renderer.

I have about 30% cpu load most of the time but during the stuttering it is at 90% or more.

I will check the D3D fullscreen option!

Thanks so far.

4 (edited by mashingan 30-11-2015 15:41:47)

Is that happened during particular video?
If so, it's very likely "heavy" scene.
It usually takes a lot CPU usage when there's scene of particles and/or rotating scene.

If not, there's chance that your madVR setting is too high.

tingtong5
Nvidia Geforce GTX-750
Good adapter with high performance. madVR must be better choice. Of course if you control GPU load. You can use GPU-Z for it.

GPU decoding in SVP, where can I enable it?
MPC-HC has internal decoder: LAV Filter. You can choose NVIDIA CUVID acceleration into it.

I am using Kodi DSplayer build with madVR as video renderer and reclock as audio renderer
So. I don't know about decoding settings in Kodi. In madVR check Automatic Fullscreen Exclusive mode option and another options in the general settings tab. Try to enable them. They must help.
I use Exclusive + use Direct3D 11. Some times ago I used windowed overlay.

Post's attachments

madVR_options.png, 36.48 kb, 776 x 487
madVR_options.png 36.48 kb, 609 downloads since 2015-11-30 

6 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 30-11-2015 19:27:18)

MAG79 wrote:

You can choose NVIDIA CUVID acceleration into it.

He did not say his OS; for all we know he's on Windows 10, and Win10 users should use "DXVA2 (copy-back)" instead.

If that doesn't solve the issue, try increasing the amount of processing threads.  Another 8350 user had to set it to something like 21 threads.

I have about 30% cpu load most of the time but during the stuttering it is at 90% or more.

sounds familiar o_O
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2851

Chainik wrote:

sounds familiar o_O

In that case, what happens if you disable GPU acceleration in SVP?  Maximium performance would be worse, but maybe it'll be consistent?

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
MAG79 wrote:

You can choose NVIDIA CUVID acceleration into it.

He did not say his OS; for all we know he's on Windows 10, and Win10 users should use "DXVA2 (copy-back)" instead.

If that doesn't solve the issue, try increasing the amount of processing threads.  Another 8350 user had to set it to something like 21 threads.

I am on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits

Chainik wrote:

sounds familiar o_O

Owwww, that's a good one!! I will check cpu temperature and whether it is throttling or not !!

Chainik wrote:

sounds familiar o_O

In that case, what happens if you disable GPU acceleration in SVP?  Maximium performance would be worse, but maybe it'll be consistent?

I'll check that as well, thanks !

MAG79 wrote:

tingtong5
Nvidia Geforce GTX-750
Good adapter with high performance. madVR must be better choice. Of course if you control GPU load. You can use GPU-Z for it.

GPU decoding in SVP, where can I enable it?
MPC-HC has internal decoder: LAV Filter. You can choose NVIDIA CUVID acceleration into it.

I am using Kodi DSplayer build with madVR as video renderer and reclock as audio renderer
So. I don't know about decoding settings in Kodi. In madVR check Automatic Fullscreen Exclusive mode option and another options in the general settings tab. Try to enable them. They must help.
I use Exclusive + use Direct3D 11. Some times ago I used windowed overlay.

Fullscreen exclusive and Direct3D11 were already enabled (apparently this is the default) in my madvr settings.

I did enable CUVID in Kodi (it was on DVXA2 before), I did not notice any difference though.

I changed profile from 5 to 4 and that works a bit better, but still the same stuttering issue every minute or so in every movie (not only complex scenes). So I am going to check cpu temperature and throttling!

tingtong5
Ok. How many displays has your PC?
Do you know that really smooth video can be only at primary display? wink

MAG79 wrote:

tingtong5
Ok. How many displays has your PC?
Do you know that really smooth video can be only at primary display? wink

I have two displays (Tv and projector) but only one connected at a time, switching between both with my Onkyo surround processor.

tingtong5
Good. TV and Projector.
Do you see stuttering at both displays or only at one of them?

Please tell model of your onkyo. And try to connect PC to any display without onkyo.

Actually I don't know as I watch movies on projector JVC HD350 mostly ;-)
Onkyo is PR-SC5507 surround processor.

17 (edited by tingtong5 02-12-2015 12:33:08)

Nintendo Maniac was right, my cpu is throttling from 4GHz to 1,4GHz at the moment video playback is stuttering. When I underclock my cpu from 4 GHz to 3,8 GHz it does not happen anymore. CPU temperature goes up tot 62 degrees C. I guess I have to replace my cpu cooler a water cooled solution.

tingtong5
Congratulations!

Save the congratulations untill I have fixed it ;-)

tingtong5 wrote:

When I underclock my cpu from 4 GHz to 3,8 GHz it does not happen anymore

I thought it is solution smile

tingtong5 wrote:

Nintendo Maniac was right

It wasn't me that suggested the idea...

MAG79 wrote:
tingtong5 wrote:

When I underclock my cpu from 4 GHz to 3,8 GHz it does not happen anymore

I thought it is solution smile

No it's not, it's a workaround ;-)

I installed a better CPU cooler and 3 extra case fans. CPU back at 4 GHz and running 15 degrees cooler now :-) Problem solved, no more stuttering video! :-)

Everybody thanks a lot for your help and suggestions.

23 (edited by tingtong5 02-12-2015 22:21:41)

tingtong5 wrote:

Nintendo Maniac was right

It wasn't me that suggested the idea...

Oops , sorry it was Chainik tongue

I was quite surprised to see by the way that the GPU (Geforce GTX750), frequently was at 90% (but never 100%). Must be MadVR working hard I guess.

tingtong5 wrote:

I was quite surprised to see by the way that the GPU (Geforce GTX750), frequently was at 90% (but never 100%). Must be MadVR working hard I guess.

madvr can easily destroy any GPU big_smile