Topic: Lag with 1080p videos on 1080p display

I've posted this on the madVR forum but they are saying the problem seems to come from SVP. I'm using Windows 7 x64 with a Radeon HD 7660M.

1080p videos, when displayed on a 1080p screen, sometimes lag even if madVR rendering time is between 8 and 13ms (it should work up to 16ms).

The lag seems to come and go in full-screen, and always take effect in window mode.

Here's a screenshot of the flawed rendering

http://forum.doom9.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=14510&stc=1&d=1417755387

Here's what they had to say:

over 13 ms rendertimes and it works better in fullscreen mode.
if SVP is used it looks like it sometimes takes to many GPU power so madVR can't render the frames fast enough.

the screen clearly shows that madVR didn't get the frame fast enough. if SVP is used it should be the problem here. rendertimes are really high for SVP usage too.

Re: Lag with 1080p videos on 1080p display

Mystery
At your picture: dropped frames 4932.
It is very bad. You need to get zero dropped frames what will mean no lags and ideal smoothness of video.
Try to disable GPU-acceleration in SVP. if it will not help then tune madVR settings.

What CPU is it used?

SVP is CPU hungry so make sure you have powerful CPU.
Lower the SVP setting, and/or the madVR setting could help.

In my case, I lower the SVP setting for 1080p video profile than 720p, and set madVR into mid-high setting (several options are in middle setting with few in high setting)

CPU is Intel quad-core i7

madVR can be configured to have a rendering time up to 16ms without dropping frames when playing with SVP (1000 ms / 60 fps = 16.66 rendering time max)

If I disable GPU acceleration then it drops frames even on 768p display.

Mystery
To aviod framedrops you need after disabling GPU-acceleration to reset profiles to default: SVP tray menu - Video profiles - Reset to defaults - OK - Yes.
It will change your profiles set from 5g to 5c.

Wow, disabling OpenCL and resetting profiles lowers all my rendering times and allows me to raise madVR settings! This answers a performance question I asked in another thread.

But... this is a VERY unintuitive setting!

That means when combining SVP with madVR, it's best to disable OpenCL so that madVR has more GPU available? I'll try it on the 1080p TV later.