Topic: LG 42LA6200 120Hz 3D Smart TV, unable to set refresh rate to 120Hz?

What the title says, pretty much. In a nutshell, we've finally upgraded our TV at home, I saw a chance, took it, and insisted it HAD to be 120 Hz. Unfortunately 120 Hz screens are a rarity where I live, thanks to our wonderful (/sarcasm) import laws and my government's policy of systematically screwing over anyone who tries bringing anything from outside the country. It also appears that due to the locals' severely inefficient way of handling technical specifications, the best way to ensure the TV you're buying has 120 Hz is getting one with 3D support.
So we got a LG 42LA6200 (official specs page: http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-42LA6200-led-tv )

I promptly connected my computer, which I'm fairly confident it's up to spec (i5 3570, GTX 650 Ti Boost, 2x8GB RAM @ 1600, Win7 64 bit) to the TV, but to my disappointment, I seem to be unable to set the refresh rate any higher than 60 Hz.
Is there anything I can do to get a screen refresh rate of 120 Hz?

I've already bought a new HDMI cable that claims to be 1.4b which I'm using right now, but thanks yet again to my country's import laws, it's a generic brand cable and I can't be sure it actually IS 1.4b, since the cable itself doesn't say "1.4" anywhere on it.
I could simply make a new unsupported resolution from the Nvidia control panel set to 1080p @ 120 Hz, but I'd rather be absolutely certain I won't blow up anything (mostly and more importantly the TV) before I do that.

Any help would be amply appreciated smile

Re: LG 42LA6200 120Hz 3D Smart TV, unable to set refresh rate to 120Hz?

hmm
try to read full specs next time you'll buy something

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=3196&download=0
from the "owners manual" from there

Post's attachments

lg.png, 32.45 kb, 590 x 295
lg.png 32.45 kb, 695 downloads since 2014-05-05 

3 (edited by PsykoTenshi 06-05-2014 01:07:39)

Well, I can tell you I didn't pick the model, but my family seemingly believes on: schedule for the day > choosing the ONE upgrade they'll buy in years wisely. I even gave them a list of models that (according to the manufacturer's specs page) are 120 Hz-capable, but they bought another.

I actually saw that bit on the manual, it just struck me as flat out dumb that there wasn't a way to get a 120 Hz signal on a TV capable of showing 120 fps. Sorry if I give you the impression of someone stupid by asking a way to not get a huge disappointment each time I see the only TV upgrade I'll see in years. I may whine a LOT about import taxes, but that same TV you get for 800 dollars? Here it's over 1200. And of course, a 3rd world budget doesn't allow upgrading home electronics very often.
Damnable shady marketing and "120 Hz" TV's that can't receive a 120 Hz signal.

Edit:
So I made some further research on the TV's shown in the site of the store where we bought the TV.
Each and every one of the at least eight different 120 Hz (or even higher) TV's from which I've been able to track down their manual, actually can only take up to a 60 Hz signal.
There's only three I haven't been able to find any manual online or even the manufacturer's model page, which leads me to suspect they're "Argentina only" models, needless to say these aren't very promising on actually being able to receive a 120 Hz signal. They are:
Philips PFL4508/77
Sony KDL-40R485
Philips PFL3508G/77

I... don't say this very often, but I think I have little choice but to give up. On a true 120 Hz display that is, as it appears there's literally no such thing where I live. Now THAT sucks.

As I know no one TV can show 120 fps from PC. Maximum is 60 fps via HDMI.

But not all so bad. wink You can produce smooth 60 fps by SVP transmit that 60 fps to your LG TV and make them smoother by TV's TruMotion 120 Hz technology.