Re: New RIFE filter - 3x faster AI interpolation possible in SVP!!!

Blackfyre wrote:

Pictures look exaggerated

Nice issue, can you please link us where we can find this specific scene so we can test it too?

1,227 (edited by Blackfyre 10-02-2024 07:03:25)

flowreen91 wrote:
Blackfyre wrote:

Pictures look exaggerated

Nice issue, can you please link us where we can find this specific scene so we can test it too?

The example above in the pictures is Ahsoka Episode 1 with HDR and VRR (Gsync) enabled. The start of the episode sequence is a good dark environment test.

On the LG C2 42"

I don't think this is an issue for VRR monitors or QD-OLED displays though, so I don't think it applies to most people.

It's just a me issue I guess trying to get VRR to work with the C2 + RIFE + SVP + MPV

Also to note d3d11va-copy work fine without HDR enabled, no banding or crushed blacks. With HDR enabled only d3d11va works correctly, but VRR breaks.

EDIT:

dawkinscm wrote:

Unless a dev comes on and tells me that the way SVP has always works has now changed, then whether you recognise it or not, using d3d11va and not d3d11va-copy means that SVP is not working properly.

https://i.imgur.com/XCPunEf.png

So should I be using auto-copy rather than auto? SVP appears to work either setting.

1,229 (edited by dawkinscm 10-02-2024 10:43:46)

scb wrote:

So should I be using auto-copy rather than auto? SVP appears to work either setting.

Blackfyre wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/XCPunEf.png

There's working, then there's working properly. From the SVP manual:
Only "copy-back" hardware video decoders are compatible with Vapoursynth filters, use hwdec=auto-copy

If the SVP manual is wrong then great we get more performance!!! But unless the devs come on here and tells us that the manual is wrong then I'm sticking with "copy".

1,230 (edited by Blackfyre 10-02-2024 11:24:42)

dawkinscm wrote:

There's working, then there's working properly.

Okay, but what is there to working properly? The interpolation is happening, and it appears as smooth as copy.

So I'm not sure what more can “properly” do in this case. RIFE is doing its job and the frame rate is doubling as I am requesting it to do.

dawkinscm wrote:

But unless the devs come on here and tells us that the manual is wrong then I'm sticking with "copy".

Wouldn't mind some clarification on this too tbh

Hopefully @Chainik can clarify perhaps.

My guess is that the manual just has old information which was perhaps resolved, maybe with gpu-next

1,231 (edited by dawkinscm 10-02-2024 11:46:14)

Blackfyre wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

There's working, then there's working properly.

Okay, but what is there to working properly? The interpolation is happening, and it appears as smooth as copy.

So I'm not sure what more can “properly” do in this case. RIFE is doing its job and the frame rate is doubling as I am requesting it to do.

What happens to your performance when you use copy? I assume it goes down?

dawkinscm wrote:

But unless the devs come on here and tells us that the manual is wrong then I'm sticking with "copy".

Blackfyre wrote:

Wouldn't mind some clarification on this too tbh

Hopefully @Chainik can clarify perhaps.

My guess is that the manual just has old information which was perhaps resolved, maybe with gpu-next

Not gpu-next. That has nothing to do with this.

no magic here, mpv is doing copying automatically in this case:

[   0.245][v][vo/gpu-next] Loading hwdec driver 'd3d11va'
[   1.787][][autoconvert] HW-downloading from d3d11
[   1.787][][autoconvert] Converting p010 -> yuv420p10

Chainik wrote:

no magic here, mpv is doing copying automatically in this case:

[   0.245][v][vo/gpu-next] Loading hwdec driver 'd3d11va'
[   1.787][][autoconvert] HW-downloading from d3d11
[   1.787][][autoconvert] Converting p010 -> yuv420p10

Now I'm just confused.

1,234 (edited by RickyAstle98 11-02-2024 05:08:30)

Blackfyre wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

If you are using d3d11va then SVP doesn't work properly because it doesn't have full access to all frames.

Never had such an issue with RIFE + SVP + MPV

dawkinscm wrote:

Also hwdec has very little to do with colours which is why you see no differences. But it might have some impact on banding depending on what card you are using.

Pictures look exaggerated, captured with ExpertRAW on my phone. But you can understand what I mean by banding, and the blacks are not perfect blacks, they become very very dark grey, but not perfect black levels.

hwdec=d3d11va

https://i.imgur.com/5PmmjAB.jpeg

hwdec=d3d11va-copy

https://i.imgur.com/TwPlkb7.jpeg

As to this:

RickyAstle98 wrote:

Anyway if you have GSync monitor with physical module, this issue isnt happen, because renderer now doesnt request backup memory through VRR option!

It's an LG C2 42" which I use as a desktop monitor. It has both GSync and Freesync Premium.

Either way, I am still looking for a solution. Maybe someone else can chime in if they know of a workaround or different rendering method perhaps.

Do you force video-output-levels to full? Because SVP uses limited color levels by default, and can ignore full levels from NVCP params, my case I dont see any difference in colors/banding...

1,235 (edited by Blackfyre 11-02-2024 07:21:42)

RickyAstle98 wrote:

Do you force video-output-levels to full? Because SVP uses limited color levels by default, and can ignore full levels from NVCP params, my case I dont see any difference in colors/banding...

It's set to full and 10bit from NVCP, but I did not have:

video-output-levels=full

... in MPV config. I added it, but it did not fix the hwdec=d3d11va-copy problem with crushed blacks and banding.

Another thing to note, when in full screen banding is crushed, when I double-click to windowed mode, the black levels are not crushed. So, black levels are crushed only in full screen mode (which is the mode where VRR works).

EDIT:

with the above in mind, I disabled full-screen exclusive by removing:

ontop
fullscreen=yes
d3d11-exclusive-fs=yes

I enabled GSync in both Full-screen and Windowed mode from NVCP.

Opened a video, and when I double-click to enter full-screen (without exclusive mode), black levels still crush.

So it leads me to believe, it's something about VRR with this panel that I have that causes black levels to crush and banding to occur with d3d11va-copy.

The only reason d3d11va works properly, is because VRR is broken with that one.

1,236 (edited by dawkinscm 11-02-2024 07:34:12)

Two things.
First is @Chainik saying that I no longer need to use copy? The manual still says use "copy-back".
Second, I thought @Blackfyre said that there was no difference between d3d11va and copy and I didn't see those differences in pictures. To me that made sense because it the mechanism should have nothing to do with color. But I see there is a massive difference in the two pictures which I must have somehow missed. But a possible explanation for the difference would be that it is being affected by SVP which brings me back to my first point.
So still confused.

dawkinscm wrote:

Two things.
First is @Chainik saying that I no longer need to use copy? The manual still says use "copy-back".
Second, I thought @Blackfyre said that there was no difference between d3d11va and copy and I didn't see those differences in pictures. To me that made sense because it the mechanism should have nothing to do with color. But I see there is a massive difference in the two pictures which I must have somehow missed. But a possible explanation for the difference would be that it is being affected by SVP which brings me back to my first point.
So still confused.

Maybe its SVP issue? Because SVP do some things with HDR contents, converting, recoloring, etc etc etc...
Maybe SVP break HDR content? I really dont see a difference, I dont watch HDR content because my panel is fakeHDR sad

1,238 (edited by Blackfyre 11-02-2024 09:56:00)

dawkinscm wrote:

Two things.

I've been using non-Copy (Cuda, Vulkan, and d3d11va) for a couple of years without issues, I've also used them with copy in the past too.

But I know right now there is definitely no issue with SVP doing its thing.

You can see in the SVP logs as @Chainik already showed the SVP is active and working with d3d11va. I mean you can test it yourself, switch to d3d11va and test it with RIFE + SVP + MPV

dawkinscm wrote:

Second, I thought @Blackfyre said that there was no difference between d3d11va and copy and I didn't see those differences in pictures.

The whole point of the pictures was to show the difference...

dawkinscm wrote:

To me that made sense because it the mechanism should have nothing to do with color.

It's banding and crushed blacks that are the issue. Forget about colour, I don't know why you're so focused on colour, the only reason I mentioned colour once at the start then edited it out was because the crushed blacks results in a visible difference in the entire image, so it impacts colour because black levels are crushed on the video as a whole.

dawkinscm wrote:

But a possible explanation for the difference would be that it is being affected by SVP which brings me back to my first point.
So still confused.

RickyAstle98 wrote:

Maybe its SVP issue? Because SVP do some things with HDR contents, converting, recoloring, etc

I don't think it's SVP. It could just be my display as LG C Series are known to have a VRR flickering issue which could be impacting on the picture quality when VRR is being triggered.

So when d3d11va-copy works and the refresh rate drops to 48Hz, it might be causing a VRR issue with the TV where the black levels become raised perhaps.

With d3d11va VRR is broken, so there is no problem with crushed blacks and banding and image appears fine, but not as SMOOTH as with VRR enabled. Because the FPS and Refresh Rate (Hz) are not matching.

RickyAstle98 wrote:

I really dont see a difference, I dont watch HDR content because my panel is fakeHDR sad

I don't mean this to be rude because you were trying to help, but I said the issue is ONLY present in HDR and in SDR there is no visible difference between either of them from my limited testing.

1,239 (edited by dawkinscm 11-02-2024 11:45:12)

Blackfyre wrote:

You can see in the SVP logs as @Chainik already showed the SVP is active and working with d3d11va. I mean you can test it yourself, switch to d3d11va and test it with RIFE + SVP + MPV

I see now that SVP is doing the copy. But to clarify, I had previously tested copy vs no copy a few times. When using copy I saw was a decrease in performance and the copy buffers not being used which made sense when taken with the default mpv.conf using copy. The default mpv.conf is a little out of date, but I still couldn't see why they would supply a config with a poor performing option like copy. Especially when the manual says the same thing.

Blackfyre wrote:

The whole point of the pictures was to show the difference...

I simply missed it. I didn't see any difference when I looked at it. I do now.

Blackfyre wrote:

the only reason I mentioned colour once at the start then edited it out was because the crushed blacks results in a visible difference in the entire image,

I only focussed on what you wrote. What was edited out afterwards I don't know.

But it's all good smile

> I see now that SVP is doing the copy.

SVP does nothing, it's mpv that _always_ doing copying with "-copy" and still doing copying _if_necessary_ w/o "-copy". At least for d3d11, no idea if it's doing the same thing for other decoders (definitely no, it doesn't work this way on Android, for example).

1,241 (edited by Blackfyre 11-02-2024 12:21:39)

Chainik wrote:

SVP does nothing

^ SVP Developer btw haha ❤️

https://media1.tenor.com/m/zqHbKTg9NxEAAAAC/ray-liotta-laughing.gif

1,242 (edited by dawkinscm 11-02-2024 13:00:25)

Interesting. I guess we were all wrong lol But I did ask for a clarification and all I got was answers from everyone except @Chainik hence my assumption. But at least now we know what's actually happening. It is still all good smile

1,243 (edited by RickyAstle98 11-02-2024 16:00:22)

dawkinscm wrote:

Interesting. I guess we were all wrong lol But I did ask for a clarification and all I got was answers from everyone except @Chainik hence my assumption. But at least now we know what's actually happening. It is still all good smile

I dont think its worth relying on Chainik, as the owner of the SVP4 license over 4 years, I couldnt even get through to them through official communication lines, they are probably afraid to answer specific questions or do not care,
despite the fact that there is also a Chainik in charge...
SVP does nothing with colors? Wrong! MPV does something with colors? Yes! Both of them do something, depends on codec, colormatrix, too many variables that connected inbetween both!
Generally no issues with SDR content, only HDR issues over 4 years!
Also I dont see need for RIFE+SVP content, because Lossless Scaling program updated to DXGI frame generation that only doubles framerate, VRR breaks, but its working, I do SVP to 82FPS and then enable LSFG and now I have 164FPS,
I can also see this new frames while playback and stop frames, even NVIDIA overlay says its 164FPS instead of 82 through resized window >
So generally I can watch 720/900p content at any models at 164FPS without dropping frames, issues, flickering, bla bla bla bla bla...

1,244 (edited by flowreen91 11-02-2024 20:54:44)

Blackfyre wrote:

It's banding and crushed blacks that are the issue.

Maybe Chainik is right.
Blackfyre can u please try to see if u can reproduce that exact scenario with:
RIFE disabled (normal interpolation) + SVP + MPV ? example: https://gyazo.com/8cedda0a3fe610f50810178b9e54da7b
How about
SVP (interpolation disabled) + MPV ? example: https://gyazo.com/21658ebad006e2bcf284a73e168be62e
How about
SVP fully closed + direct MPV launch ? example: https://gyazo.com/049c2643d14b0087b9c6354f7da73815
Would be nice to know that it's MPV fault cause of random decoders configurations and leave it at that xD

RickyAstle98 wrote:

Also I dont see need for RIFE+SVP content, because Lossless Scaling program updated to DXGI frame generation that only doubles framerate, VRR breaks, but its working, I do SVP to 82FPS and then enable LSFG and now I have 164FPS

RickyAstle98 I just tried the Lossless Scaling LSFG frame generation combined with MPV capped at 120 fps and i'm seeing major pixels wiggling issues.
It's like it tries to ununiformly speed up patches of screen, giving you an uneven movement like waves.
It looks like an abomination on this test scene: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ … drive_link
My suggestion would be to use the SVP resize parameter to resize video to a lower resolution until you hit the spot where your system can handle RIFE at "164 fps without dropping frames, issues, flickering, bla bla bla bla bla..."
That way SVP will fully control the scene movement at all times.

If you use Lossless Scaling app for the upscaling, i compared performance between using Lossless Scaling app with Nvidia Image Scaling ON and MPV with Nvidia Image Scaling shader and using the app was much slower.
You can add yourself the Nvidia Image Scaling shader by following the instructions here and compare the performance differences: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ … sp=sharing

1,245 (edited by RickyAstle98 12-02-2024 05:30:08)

flowreen91 wrote:
Blackfyre wrote:

It's banding and crushed blacks that are the issue.

Maybe Chainik is right.
Blackfyre can u please try to see if u can reproduce that exact scenario with:
RIFE disabled (normal interpolation) + SVP + MPV ? example: https://gyazo.com/8cedda0a3fe610f50810178b9e54da7b
How about
SVP (interpolation disabled) + MPV ? example: https://gyazo.com/21658ebad006e2bcf284a73e168be62e
How about
SVP fully closed + direct MPV launch ? example: https://gyazo.com/049c2643d14b0087b9c6354f7da73815
Would be nice to know that it's MPV fault cause of random decoders configurations and leave it at that xD

RickyAstle98 wrote:

Also I dont see need for RIFE+SVP content, because Lossless Scaling program updated to DXGI frame generation that only doubles framerate, VRR breaks, but its working, I do SVP to 82FPS and then enable LSFG and now I have 164FPS

RickyAstle98 I just tried the Lossless Scaling LSFG frame generation combined with MPV capped at 120 fps and i'm seeing major pixels wiggling issues.
It's like it tries to ununiformly speed up patches of screen, giving you an uneven movement like waves.
It looks like an abomination on this test scene: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ … drive_link
My suggestion would be to use the SVP resize parameter to resize video to a lower resolution until you hit the spot where your system can handle RIFE at "164 fps without dropping frames, issues, flickering, bla bla bla bla bla..."
That way SVP will fully control the scene movement at all times.

If you use Lossless Scaling app for the upscaling, i compared performance between using Lossless Scaling app with Nvidia Image Scaling ON and MPV with Nvidia Image Scaling shader and using the app was much slower.
You can add yourself the Nvidia Image Scaling shader by following the instructions here and compare the performance differences: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ … sp=sharing

I dont have pixel issues, 165Hz GSync monitor, my system with RTX4070 cant handle HD@165 starting 4.9 stable, so then I decide use LSFG with DXGI swap, better FPS before LSFG, better pixels/movement interpolation,
I said I tick RIFE to odd number 82 then LSFG to 164, all models do 164FPS without drops, even at FHD! Anime test videos doesnt count, besause I use LSFG only for movies and games! Generally as RIFE booster!
RTX 4070 can handle 82FPS at any RIFE models up to FHD but then LSFG that and I see any content at my refresh rate, which RIFE cannot, so what? Anime test videos not for LSFG procedures, who cares?!

Blackfyre

you'd better ask about the differences between d3d11va and d3d11va-copy in relation to VRR and black levels in mpv's Github.

1,247 (edited by Blackfyre 12-02-2024 12:33:51)

Chainik wrote:

Blackfyre

you'd better ask about the differences between d3d11va and d3d11va-copy in relation to VRR and black levels in mpv's Github.

Thanks for the recommendation, yeah, I'll try to write something later tonight.

EDIT:

Just to narrow it down even further, I just done a lot of testing before I write and report the issue later today.

First, I decreased the code to this:

ontop
fullscreen=yes
d3d11-exclusive-fs=yes

vo=gpu-next
gpu-api=d3d11
hwdec=d3d11va-copy
video-sync=audio
gpu-context=d3d11
fbo-format=rgba16hf

target-peak=800
target-contrast=inf
target-colorspace-hint=yes

HDR Enabled:

No SVP running in the background.

VRR (GSync and Freesync Premium) enabled in the Display and NVCP = Crushed blacks and banding with d3d11va-copy running at 24FPS (even outside the VRR range, so VRR is not even working).

Changing to d3d11va solves the problem. No crushed blacks or banding.

DDU uninstall nVidia drivers. Shut down the PC. Turn off GSync and Freesync from the display. Turn the PC on and install NVidia drivers.

Run again with both d3d11va-copy and d3d11va, no problems at all with both. No crushed blacks, and no banding. Everything running smoothly.

All of this without SVP.

Conclusion:

Just enabling VRR causes d3d11va-copy to crush black levels and introduce banding, even when the video playing is outside the VRR range (my range is 40Hz to 120Hz), with the HDR video playing at 24 FPS.

EDIT 2:

What's with all the crazy details they want. I just want to report an issue that is very clearly written without the need to go into so much detail they are requesting.

I click on Report a Windows Issue and it's full of so much details they want, including a LOG. Also if this is the wrong section, the post will be deleted.

So I got to the Ask a Question section, and it says if you report an issue in the ask a question section, your post will be deleted.

Wtf lol

EDIT 3:

Ended up asking it in the Questions Section, so hopefully it wont get removed @Chainik

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/13467

1,248 (edited by RickyAstle98 12-02-2024 14:03:28)

smile

Blackfyre wrote:

Ended up asking it in the Questions Section, so hopefully it wont get removed @Chainik

If you don't follow the format then they will usually tell you but sometimes the question will just get ignored. It's structured in a way to stop random questions filling up the list.

Blackfyre wrote:
Chainik wrote:

Blackfyre

Thanks for the recommendation, yeah, I'll try to write something later tonight.

EDIT:

Just to narrow it down even further, I just done a lot of testing before I write and report the issue later today.

First, I decreased the code to this:

ontop
fullscreen=yes
d3d11-exclusive-fs=yes

vo=gpu-next
gpu-api=d3d11
hwdec=d3d11va-copy
video-sync=audio
gpu-context=d3d11
fbo-format=rgba16hf

target-peak=800
target-contrast=inf
target-colorspace-hint=yes

HDR Enabled:

No SVP running in the background.

VRR (GSync and Freesync Premium) enabled in the Display and NVCP = Crushed blacks and banding with d3d11va-copy running at 24FPS (even outside the VRR range, so VRR is not even working).

Changing to d3d11va solves the problem. No crushed blacks or banding.

DDU uninstall nVidia drivers. Shut down the PC. Turn off GSync and Freesync from the display. Turn the PC on and install NVidia drivers.

Run again with both d3d11va-copy and d3d11va, no problems at all with both. No crushed blacks, and no banding. Everything running smoothly.

All of this without SVP.

Conclusion:

Just enabling VRR causes d3d11va-copy to crush black levels and introduce banding, even when the video playing is outside the VRR range (my range is 40Hz to 120Hz), with the HDR video playing at 24 FPS.

EDIT 2:

What's with all the crazy details they want. I just want to report an issue that is very clearly written without the need to go into so much detail they are requesting.

I click on Report a Windows Issue and it's full of so much details they want, including a LOG. Also if this is the wrong section, the post will be deleted.

So I got to the Ask a Question section, and it says if you report an issue in the ask a question section, your post will be deleted.

Wtf lol

EDIT 3:

have you tried
hwdec=dxva2 and dxva2-copy ?